1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why Toyota doesn't behave like Jeep and others?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    They could have wet farted out something with the Supra badge less luxury based on the Lexus IS platform at a lower price legacy be damned because legacy is already damned they went to BMW legacy was damned, I would have bought it, and it may have even been a bit of a hit if they marketed it right. They could have made it the Nascar cup car instead of the sick joke that is the "what's front wheel drive?" Nascar Camry. I think it would have seriously appealed to a segment of the Nascar crowd and could have had much wider appeal than that.

Seriously, if Toyota releases something like the Lexus IS but has more mere mortal stuff in it like no seats that give you fellatio and the dome lights get basic physical switches instead of the IS's capacative touch crap and is reasonably priced and doesn't exist just to make the owner feel like a filthy rich robber baron son of a bitch, I'd say bye bye 4Runner in a heartbeat.

2. Mar 24, 2022 at 2:05 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I get it. I think the stock MR2 had something like 115hp.
    Understood, and these are reviews of new MR2s, so 1980s. One stat I don't think was ever much in question on their tests is top speed. Hard to fudge that one.

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 24, 2022 at 3:11 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Wish the OG tundra v8 was zoomin around in some runners. I think it would have been hella popular, was well as very very reliable. Mated to a trans with more 2 or 3 more gears, would be ultra rad as well. Maybe i just need to look at a lexus g series or something. Mean time, ill thrash my runner like it owes me money. Happy adventures out there all....

4. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:11 AM
    Bertski*69

Bertski*69 New Member

Member:
    You fine folks do know that Toyota has won the 24 hours of Le Mans consecutively over the last four years...Pretty sure they can build whatever they want to...What will be available to the public is for profit only.

5. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Yes, 112 @7500 RPM's. It wasn't fast, but just enough power to be fun! Also, only weighed ~2300 lbs. Mine probably saw 120 MPH a few times, but I don't recall ever really trying to top it out. I wouldn't have expected much more, though.

The 4A-GE was a cool engine. I redlined mine regularly, and it never seemed to mind. There was a feature called T-VIS which had a secondary plenum on every other intake port sandwiched between the manifold and the head. It was like the predecessor to V-TEC or VVT-LI.

Mine was my work commuter until the transmission had finally had enough of my abuse. Considering how I drove it, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. :cool: It's actually pretty impressive, since the entire transmission could easily be lifted with one hand.

I'd love to have another one of those!

2Toys and The last breed[OP] like this.
  6. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:41 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Yes. I have full confidence in their ability to make amazing vehicles. They just chose to take the easy road for the new "Supra." They have made some seriously impressive engines over the years, occasionally with help from Yamaha.

7. Mar 24, 2022 at 5:54 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    My brother had a red 1985 Corolla GTS liftback with the same engine. You're right, it was sweet. Would pull straight to the 7500RPM redline with no fuss. The car was light, maybe 2300 pounds, and RWD. Also, there's someone near me, an older couple, who on really nice days will take their red 1985 MR2 out on an occasional drive. It looks like new. The guy told me it's never been in the rain, and has about 85k miles on it. Nice to see one being well cared for.

8. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:00 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That's an AE86 Corolla!! Those were awesome! The current "86" is named after them.

I would LOVE to have one of those!

9. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    Bertski*69

Bertski*69 New Member

Member:
    I'm sure Sylvania could manufacture a lightbulb that would outlast your lifetime, but why would they...Even if they did no one would be able to afford it...They want you coming back with more $

10. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:16 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Sounds like a great candidate for an LS swap!

11. Mar 24, 2022 at 6:21 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I think Toyota is run by accountants. Sure vehicles like Raptors and 392 Wranglers are fun, but they generate more hype than dollars. If anything, they LOSE money on those vehicles. (I saw somewhere that's the case for VW with the Veyron)

Toyota doesn't need hype, they sell every car they make. It would be like KitchenAid trying to sell a mixer with flames on it or something. (Actually I may be on to something....Guy Fierri edition? Lol)

12. Mar 24, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    BOO!!!

LS swap?? Of all of the awesome JDM engines there are, you'd destroy an AE86 with an LS?

BOO!!

:duel:

Agreed!

13. Mar 24, 2022 at 7:18 AM
    2ndGen22re

2ndGen22re Goldie, my 1st love & my new kid…

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    1990 22RE & 22 AG ORP KDSS
    One-at-this-price stripper. Bought new 34 yrs ago, a $13K leftover. Added Detroit TruTrac, 1”rear spring spacer and “pinstripes”… Factory AC kit and roof rack bought at dealer cost at time of purchase, still blows ice cold 32yrs later. 2022 AG ORP all stock.
    The only Ram to have is a pre-DEF diesel. Same goes for any of the big 3.
    That said, the saying about a Dodge Cummins is “it is the best hotdog you’ve ever had wrapped in a moldy bun”….rings true in my experience but that awesome engine makes up for it IMHO.

14. Mar 24, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    https://www.amazon.com/Flames-Mixer...ords=mixer+flame+decals&qid=1648136831&sr=8-3

15. Mar 24, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    My Mom's boyfriend has 3 Cummins Rams. One is a '96 with ~ 800K miles, one '03 with ~400K, and a newer one. The pre-DEF is definitely nice. But, the newer one is pretty nice, too.

SlvrSlug and The last breed[OP] like this.
  16. Mar 24, 2022 at 3:54 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    I just called my dealer for some update, and he told me that they are not taking deposits on 4Runners anymore, factory is getting overwhelmed with demand.
    So yeah, why what Toyota change anything when people are begging them for their decade old technology :D

17. Mar 24, 2022 at 4:14 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Meh, not into JDM.

LS is a great motor, lots of power potential in a relatively small package. To me, it'd be a great way to make a generic looking '80s hatchback cool.

18. Mar 24, 2022 at 5:25 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    No denying the LS is a great motor. I have a few friends using them. In GM products.. Where they belong! ;)

LS swaps are boring, IMO. A 3S-GTE, 2ZZ, Or even a 1JZ would be a better choice for an AE86.

I don't think they're generic looking. Kinda goofy, maybe. :notsure:
    1200px-Toyota_SPRINTER_TRUENO_3door_(AE86)_front.jpg

19. Mar 24, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    A supercharged 3.4 would be cool too.

20. Mar 29, 2022 at 12:37 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    This is my favorite style of flame war in online forums.

"I'm going to just leave this idiotic comment here, that I know will cause an argument, and then tell you I'm not listening anymore."

Let's just remember, the government subsidizes all monopoly corporations in this country. It's done through a variety of legal maneuvers, but if you're going to blame one politician, you'll have to blame them all. Because ALL politicians survive on campaign donations from people that benefit from government subsidies.

The oil companies get massive R&D handouts, it's not like they're startups in a new market, so they have to prove themselves, or, might provide public benefit, no, it's because they put a lot of money in the pockets of politicians.

I think EVs and ICE vehicles complement each other. I live in an area where it will be a long, long time before an EV will be effective due to limited traffic, limited services and in some cases, no services (ie: no power, no gas, definitely no charging). Instead of banning ICE vehicles, I like having EVs for crowded urban markets, and ICE where it makes sense in more rural areas. Until I can recharge in the middle of nowhere, I've got my spare gas cans.

21. Mar 29, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Even if you could charge in the middle of nowhere how long would it take?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Mar 29, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Depends on the vehicle and the charger. The Electrify American DC fast chargers claim to be 350kw chargers. The recent tests of a Rivian truck with 130kwh battery pack showed the truck charging at a rate of 150kw, well below the Rivian spec of 185kw fast charge rate, and well below what the charger is capable of. Apparently Rivian plans to update the software to support 300kw charge rate.

In this test, they went from 20% to 80% charge in 41 minutes at a cost of $26.66.
    https://insideevs.com/news/562364/rivian-r1t-fast-charging-test/

So, yeah, that took forever compared to filling a gas tank, and you only bought yourself 180miles of additional range.

Compare that with my 4R, 180 miles / 18mpg @ $5/gal = 10 gals gas * 5 = $50.00.

And, consider, I've never not been in a rush to get where I'm going. Standing around for 40 minutes every 180miles on a long roadtrip is not part of my plan. Figure, I'm already making a 3.5hr trip, now I'm adding an additional 1-2hrs? Not only that, I carry two 4gal Rotopax on the roof. Theoretically, I have an extra 144miles of range, which means my point of no return is that much farther, or I have the ability to explore a few more places etc.

This is a total edge case that .01% of us actually care about.

That said, I've experienced charger anxiety driving through central California in winter in a Tesla. Remember, speed + cold = reduced range. Going 90mph at 40 degrees F, the range dropped from 275 to less than 200miles. The 4R, brick that it is, loses 5% of its range at 90mph, with no penalty for cold weather, vs the Tesla losing 25% of its range due to speed and temperature.

Again. Doesn't matter if you're in a dense urban environment. I only use the 4R to explore New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and AZ. Most people think, who cares, you don't need to do those road trips. Meh. I'm not going to back to horses if that's what you think.

23. Mar 29, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

Count me in the .01%.

These multi day, 500+ mile weekend trips are the biggest reason I'm not ready to consider electric.

Aside from the lack of a good source of energy, electric looks pretty cool.

24. Mar 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Yup, you and me both. I'm looking to buy land for now, but eventually will end up with an EV (appliance) to run into town and back. The 4R will be the road trip vehicle - reliable and easy to refuel.

25. Mar 29, 2022 at 6:07 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I love the reference to the EV as an "appliance"!

And, it pretty well sums up what I think the purpose of an EV is currently. Perfect for running to the store, work commuter, etc. A tool.

As cool as some might be to drive around, they're nowhere near ready to replace an ICE as a road-trip vehicle.

2Toys, banjos-n-beer and Spare Parts like this.
  26. Mar 29, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I will stick with gas for a very long time I hope. I like the freedom to drive long distances when I want. The Ev will take away that freedom in my opinion and slow me down.

I got email from Honda yesterday about my Accord and survey asking what I liked most about a potential ev. I wish they had a choice E) none of the above.

2Toys and Thatbassguy like this.
  27. Mar 31, 2022 at 6:31 AM
    2ndGen22re

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    One-at-this-price stripper. Bought new 34 yrs ago, a $13K leftover. Added Detroit TruTrac, 1”rear spring spacer and “pinstripes”… Factory AC kit and roof rack bought at dealer cost at time of purchase, still blows ice cold 32yrs later. 2022 AG ORP all stock.
    The main disadvantage is your buddy can’t go and get you a can of electrons if you run out of fuel on the trail.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  28. Mar 31, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I saw one person last winter who ran out of “electrons” in town and had to get the new Mustang E towed.

She forgot to plug in the car at night in a rush at home the night before.

29. Mar 31, 2022 at 6:37 AM
    2ndGen22re

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    When did you put a deposit down? Been +2months for me and counting.

30. Mar 31, 2022 at 10:34 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I'm not interested in electric. Imagine driving 1400 miles to visit family in an electric vehicle. :bananadead:

2Toys and LandCruiser like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top