1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why Toyota doesn't behave like Jeep and others?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Mar 23, 2022 at 10:07 AM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    Out of the three, I would rather have an MR2. They need to bring that back with the twin turbo 3.5. :cool:

2. Mar 23, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    That would be nice! I miss my '87 with the leaky T-tops! The 2nd gen was gorgeous, IMO. I'd drive the shit out of one.

3. Mar 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    My buddy had an ‘85 over in Germany. I fell in love with that car and have always wanted one - any year, any config. We (he - I was passenger) got it up to 145 mph on autobahn 5. The scary part is we got passed by a Mercedes and a BMW when we were going about 125. They were rolling one behind the other in the left lane with left blinkers on. When they blew past us I swear that MR2 came off the ground. Rofl

4. Mar 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    My '87 was the same thing. 4A-GE screaming to ~7000 RPM's! My brother had an '87 Corolla FX-16 which shared the same drivetrain. I miss those little pocket rockets.

5. Mar 23, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2003 V8 4x4 ARB Locked and Lifted on 35's with 4.88's
    The last breed[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 23, 2022 at 11:26 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2003 V8 4x4 ARB Locked and Lifted on 35's with 4.88's
    I don't miss my 91 MR2 Turbo. Darn thing leaked oil out of every gasket and there was no room for my hands to get in to fix the leaks. I would have needed to drop the engine out from the bottom to work on it. It rode like a go-kart though, which is not a complaint. I replaced it with a G35 coupe that was faster and better in every way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mar 23, 2022 at 12:18 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    You sure about that? According to Car and Driver, top speed for a 1985 MR2 is 121mph, and 130mph for the 1988 MR2 SC. Neither will touch 145.

8. Mar 23, 2022 at 2:42 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    A fleet (all manufacturers models) according to CAFE must have a certain amount of 'wimpy, eco-cars and the manufacturers are then allowed to put out other types. I'm old enough to remember most cars came standard with a V8, roll down windows with vents, and only A.M radios. Yes, I'm a young boomer. I thought I posted a link on another thread, but maybe not.

This is government mandated. Every standard in the car industry is controlled by the government, just as health care is now, and much of our everyday lives. People will be forced into EVs, make no mistake about this. You'll either have enough money to buy or you'll ride the bus.

Listen to what the Sec of Trans and VP have said, listen to what others including the current President has said. Heck, the EU is planning on banning all ICE by 2035. :(

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 23, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel New Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5P
    People are paying more than MSRP for ORP's. Why would Toyota possibly change?

10. Mar 23, 2022 at 3:18 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I know about Cafe restrictions. I think pretty much everybody here knows about Cafe restrictions.

But, it does not stop other manufacturers from putting big V8's into their SUVs. Toyota does not do it because they choose not to do it.

You might be old enough to remember when almost every vehicle came with a V8. But, Toyota was mostly using 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder Motors back then. Even the original Land Cruiser came with a 4-cylinder diesel engine.

Toyota probably puts more V8's in vehicles now than they did back then. As far as I know, the Crown was the only model they put a V8 in back in the 60s or 70s. And, it was a very small V8.

So, you can complain about Cafe restrictions all you want. But, don't act like that's the reason we don't have a V8 in the 4Runner. It's not in there because Toyota decided not to put one in there.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  11. Mar 23, 2022 at 3:19 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    I’ve read you can’t even drive the Supra with the windows down due to extreme wind buffeting. That’s just unacceptable.

12. Mar 23, 2022 at 3:54 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    If I couldn't drive my car with the windows down, I'd try to get Toyota to buy it back. That's one of my favorite things, cruising around with the windows wide in perfect weather.

13. Mar 23, 2022 at 4:22 PM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    Those cars with big V8s had less power than your average 4 cylinder has now. A typical family sedan with a V6 would absolutely destroy your average V8 muscle car from the 70s. Do you really think the general public wants that?

Look at the public response to Tesla. And the F-150 Lightning. You think the market doesn't want electric? You think those only exist because of mandates?

14. Mar 23, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    True! Some of these electric vehicles are CRAZY fast, too! And, a fully electric 4×4 will have some serious advantages over current designs.

15. Mar 23, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    The Supra is made by BMW, and it seems it's quite the BMW product through and through though there was talk about Toyota being heavily involved in the process of approving parts for it.

Subaru makes the Toyota 86 and its twin the Subaru BRZ. (And the Scion FRS back when Scion was a thing.) It's actually a very reliable car. Toyota had way more input in the design of it and even has more Toyota parts in it. The big thing being the transmission. The same thing can be said for the next generation that just launched. Give it a few years and see if it's better or worse than the new generation reliability-wise. Manual or auto, you're not getting a Subaru transmission, that's for sure. I might end up getting one at some point. It could genuinely be the last of its kind.

16. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    Lmao I don’t know for sure but the speedo was buried and it kept speeding up. He said 145. I didn’t/don’t know the specs I just know it felt like it was coming off the ground and I didn’t like it. I don’t exactly carry a radar gun with me ffs. :D

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    Also, don’t put TOO much credence in anything C&D publishes. How many years in a row did they make the Dodge Ram their truck of the year only to have it “win” Consumer Reports #1 least dependable truck the same year? Not saying they aren’t right about the MR2, but they damn sure aren’t always correct about everything.

18. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:24 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Why don’t Toyota do this, and why can’t they be like these companies. They need this so they can be competitive. Well guess what, it’s working for them. When it stops working for them, and they start losing profits then i am sure they are smart enough to make a change. For me if i was unhappy about the vehicle i would make a move to something else, but hey, i bought what i wanted, and did not go into it blind. So for the folks criticizing Toyota, maybe they should reconsider their purchase and move on. I like the Toyota 4-Runner, and i am keeping it, this is my story and I’m sticking to it.

19. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    Yes, but I was speaking of a V8 designed and built now, not in the 70s, say 500hp stock. Would you buy it? I'm guessing no.

And EVs were tried over a 100 years ago and the same thing will happen again I predict. Additionally, when the government started and still gives subsidies to EV buyers out of my tax dollars that's a indication that EVs would not exist in a true free market. (hint, the US does not have a free-market)

And before I start talking about how EVs are less efficient than ICEs I will kindly show myself out of this thread because it will go into politics and not allowed.:argue:

The last breed[OP] and SlvrSlug like this.
  20. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:41 PM
    Foster1

Foster1 New Member

Member:
    Is everyone forgetting that the GR Corolla is coming this year? Seeing how much people are loving the GR Yaris overseas, this should be good. Check out some of the review videos on the GR Yaris. It's pretty wild.

Also, I think that putting a BMW Inline 6 in the Supra was a good move. The supra was famous for its Inline 6 and insane tunability. They brought that back. Anyone ever heard the mk5 in person before? It sounds absolutely beautiful. A v6 would never be able to match that sound. Plus, they've said plenty of times that the only reason the mk5 exists was because of BMW helping. I'd rather see a Supra than not at all.

As for the 86, I had one. Loved the flat-4 motor. Put uel headers for the Subaru rumble and I loved it. Most n/a 4 cylinders sound like shit, but the 86 did not. Plus having the center of gravity low because it was a boxer motor made the car handle beautifully. The 2nd gen is even better. Might even pick one up one of these days.

I know I'm probably alone on these opinions but I think Toyota made good decisions. Sharing development costs while making the cars more fun is a win-win in my opinion.

21. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I love our Rav4 prime, but still wouldn’t run out and be a first year owner of a 4Runner prime. If things work out, I’ll have a 2022 to last a while while the 4Runner prime/full electric gets some time on the market. I believe the rav4 prime has the same setup as the highlander. I’ll wait to see what setup the runner gets, my expectations of the rav were exceeded, I’m afraid the runner prime wouldn’t have the same zip.

22. Mar 23, 2022 at 5:50 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
  23. Mar 23, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'll get excited when they announce the actual specs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's highly watered down compared to the Yaris.

It may have been a good business move. But, the engine will not live up to the 2JZ. And, after waiting so long, I just can't get excited about a rebadged BMW.

I agree about the 86. I have mixed feelings about the engine, but they look really good!

24. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:04 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    Toyota can make reliable sports car as well. They made one Lexus that I can't recall the name of, it's a crazy screaming fast car that costs like $400,000. And unlike others, it's a very reliable car

Thatbassguy likes this.
  25. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:12 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    By the way, the RAV4 was about to get de-throned, so I guess that's why Toyota changed it. RAV4 is still the leader, and Camry too.

26. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    The Bronco is no threat to the 4Runner, they belong to different classes. So I guess Toyota will not change it :yes::bananadance:

27. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:14 PM
    Foster1

Foster1 New Member

Member:
    $400k was cheap compared to what it's worth today.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2012-lexus-lfa-nurburgring/

28. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    BionicRandy and Thatbassguy like this.
  29. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:16 PM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    A modern 500hp V8 would be great, but it wouldn't be cost effective so I likely wouldn't buy it. If it were cheap, I'd buy the Wrangler with the big v8. But you pointing out that I likely wouldn't buy it just shows that you DO understand that it's not an option because the market wouldn't support it.

And sure, stop subsidizing electric vehicles. And stop oil subsidies at the same time. If you think electric is subsidized and oil isn't...

30. Mar 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    They say that Toyota made no money, no profit on that Lexus, but now people are making crazy profit on them apparently.

Products Discussed in

To Top