1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

White smoke coming out of tailpipe after highway driving

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Luccig, May 11, 2023.

1. May 26, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    This x 10000000

TN_FunRunner likes this.
  2. May 26, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia New Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 4WD
    I had a VW GTI that had a major timing belt squeak on cold start, which was indicative of premature wear and required replacing the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, and other items. I took it to two dealerships, and both did the same as you are now experiencing, charged $120 diagnostics fee and said it was the accessory belt and nothing to worry about. On the third try at the second dealership, I brought my portable toolbox, removed the accessory belt, then started the vehicle. They finally acknowledged it and replaced the timing belt and all appurtenances under warranty. It took me 10 seconds to eliminate the accessory belt as the issue, which neither dealership was willing to do as part of their diagnostic process.

My point is that, with the dealerships I’ve been to (there have been other problems with other vehicles as well), they rely on the vehicle to tell them what’s wrong. No codes, no problems in their eyes. You might have to walk them through the process of troubleshooting.

2Toys likes this.
  3. May 27, 2023 at 12:26 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    That’s part of this overall problem. They supposedly want to be “paid” for their time whenever their’s a warrantee claim, but they dont actually do any diagnostic work. At least for a warrantee claim. But you can bet that same diagnostic fee will get you a mile long list of problems that need to be fixed if it’s a non-warrantee client.

ecoterragaia[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 27, 2023 at 8:52 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    First call Toyota Corporate and open a case. Find a different dealer you are comfortable with. Call ahead and ask to speak with the service manager and explain your situation. Plead your case with them. There are good dealers out there you just have to find them.

Rocko9999 likes this.
  5. May 30, 2023 at 8:31 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    I have had good luck talking to service managers in person.

6. May 30, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    Luccig

Luccig [OP] 2020 Limited

Member:
    Toronto / GTA, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited
    Update, I have pulled out the plugs, after the car sat overnight and in the morning I did not see significant liquid in, with a flashlight though not with a boroscope.. did not buy that yet.
    Also I decided to not pay the dealer the 800 cad including taxes to do the investigation further and have a chance to find nothing and then I am out of cash and back to square 1.

From your questions:
    Are you chewing through coolant? NO
    Does it run hot at all? NO
    Does it NOT have a "misfire" code on any cylinder? NO
    Is your rad over flow "full" after a run to the market? YES
    Sometimes it is cold overnight, yes, but not freezing. Just low temperatures..
    No bubbles in coolant when running, with the radiator funnel connected.
    I did run a blue liquid test and stayed blue, didn't show gases in the coolant.
    No codes, no problems, YES< that is what the dealer said too. They only look at codes, I guess it's the way mechanics work nowadays at the dealerships. Independent mechanics would do better I feel.
    I did talk to service manager, he was even more clueless, asking if I did a compression test or if I agree for them to do it.

I will start saving for a replacement , a trade in, looking for a 2022 or such. But it will have to wait a bit.

About making corporate noise.. I won't do it at this time, since I have a feeling that Toyota will ask for the further diagnose, like the dealer said.

The remaining powertrain warranty is applicable, but to get to it is the problem, the way I see it.

Thanks ALL for your help, I will report again if the situation changes at all.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Rocko9999 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top