1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When do I know if I really need a winch?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by xmt037, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Aug 20, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    That Pathfinder is pretty cool. Don't see a ton of those modded, or really even out in the world. RIP BOF non CVT Pathfinder.

DRobs[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 20, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I've always wondered why more people don't mod Frontier Pro4x, they seem very capable.

I think it just wasn't the popular move, not a technical or capability question.

DRobs and MeefZah[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Aug 21, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Plenty of people do as they can use Titan components for longer travel on their Frontier.

To the OP, if you got a winch, more often than not it'll be used to help recover someone else.

Last 2 vehicles I put together didn't even have a winch (or need it).

4. Sep 11, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Almost forgot what the original subject manner is but love reading about all the trail advice as I'm a complete novice in the 4runner - my comfort zone for the past few years has been my 2012 Yamaha Rhino which hasn't been getting a lot of attention since the 4runner purchase. Great forum guys!

5. Sep 12, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    GLS

GLS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    IMG_20200315_100436.jpg I live in the lowcountry of GA/SC which means flat land and mud with no rocks or inclines and approach/departure angles are not significant. Many of the roads I use for recreation are rutted by military MRAP 48" tall tires which can cause high centering if one slips into them when dry. For years I've used a Warn 8500 cradled in my Sequoia 4x4 which is wired front and rear with hitches to secure the Warn when needed. The winch was shared with my T4R XP until it was totaled last week. I plan on rigging out my new Off Road T4R with it as well. The front hitch mount decreases the approach angle somewhat which is not important for my purposes. The winch is most often used to pull out backwards and abandon trip forward because I would have had to continuously pull forward for distances not worth the effort. Here's the winch after a successful muddy retreat after high centering and a photo of the front mount. As pointed out above once truck is high centered tire propulsion is fruitless regardless of diff locks, etc. Gil
    IMG_20200301_075949.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top