1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is next for the Toyota 4runner?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Ghood, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    LOL yes agreed. I really love my 2020 Limited (the longer I have it the happier I am that I got a Limited instead of the ORP!) and it's 95% what I wanted. If I can just destroy that cell chip, kill PCS and get my dealer to install good OEM LED headlights -- wow, then I'd be at like 98.5% :D

Ghood[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    @Singleminded I just now had one of my OEM Halogens go out in my 12' LE. I put some mid priced Sylvania's SilverStar from ChinaMart..ugh Walmart, in there and I was surprised how much better they were. Not LED better, but def noticeable. I don't really need too much light because as I get older the glare kills me in everyday driving situations. What do the new models have for elements these days? They still have the H11?

Ghood[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Yeah, up through 2020 you get H11s. I tried Silverstar Ultras and didn't notice much difference. Then I did regular Philips H9s and that was a big improvement. Combined with the OEM LED fogs, it's really quite decent. If I recall right the 2012 has reflectors not projectors, so maybe Silverstars work better in those.

The 2021 models all come with OEM LEDs standard. The lower end models have LED for low beams and halogen for highs. The Limited has LED for both.

PS -- I have yet to see any real reviews or tests on the 2021 LEDs, so the jury's still out on how good they are. As I documented elsewhere on the forum, some OEM LEDs are pretty crappy. So I've got my fingers crossed that these new 4Runner ones are both good and plug and play on the 2020.

4. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Another thing to remember is that a lot of inexperienced drivers don’t know how to properly care for a turbocharged vehicle. Most of them just cold start and go. And when they arrive at their destination, hot, just shut down and skip the cool down process.
    I’ve never owned a turbo vehicle but driven many 10 wheelers and heavy equipment with turbos.
    Equipment down time because of turbo repair was something that I never had to explain to my bosses.

5. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    True. It could definitely be a contributing factor in the issues with Ford's EB motors.

Ghood[OP] and alittleoff[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Yep, 60's had two round headlights, and 62's had four rectangular ones. Personally, I think the round headlights look better, so I'd probably swap them to a 60 build like that one. Can't be that tough, eh?

7. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Just saw this in the description:

"Front fenders and a front grille from an earlier FJ60 model were fitted, and the body was installed on a 1995 FJ80 frame that has been shortened by 6″ and refinished in black epoxy paint.

Ghood[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    What’s the proper startup/shutdown process for turbos?

9. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Halogen bulbs fade over time. So part of your gain was simply a fresh bulb. But the silverstars are marginally brighter, yes. And whiter due to the blue coating.

10. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:27 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    The Tacoma bothered me most in the 70-80mph speed zones. With a headwind on the interstate it was awful. Not a big deal if you’re doing it for 20 minutes. But on a road trip when you’re driving several hours a day, it was unacceptable to me. I was super bummed because I loved the truck in all other aspects.

There were long road trips where I got 13mpg because it couldn’t hold 5th at 75mph. So bizzare. I can’t even imagine having that engine in the heavier 4runner. It would get worse mpg than the current 4runner on the highway if you surpassed 70mph.

11. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:08 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I can't say, exactly. But, I've always heard that turbos require warming up before really getting in the gas, and cooling down before shutting the engine off.

In general, it seems like a bad idea to start driving the shit out of a vehicle before it's properly warmed up. But, I have seen people just fire it up and hammer down. I figure this could contribute to early failure. This could explain why some modern turbo vehicles appear less than reliable.

I could be wrong, though.:notsure:

12. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    mchertel

mchertel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I hear ya, in the mountains I have to keep in “S” mode and in 3rd and 4th to go up and down the hills with traffic. The truck likes to be in the high RPM zone for sure. We get better gas mileage with the T4R too. But the Tacoma is lifted with mud tires so not a surprise.

13. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Pro + 2018 Platinum Tundra
    With older FI vehicles this was a case, in particular with shutting the vehicle off due to cutting the cooling oil flow off, and the oil baking and causing damaged to bearings.

With new modern turbo and FI vehicles they have made it so this isn’t necessary due to improved circulation and cooling, as well as improvements in synthetic oils.

Still, just like on a normally aspirated vehicle, you should let it get to normal operating temp before / after aggressive driving.

FI vs NA, doesn’t matter anymore in 99.9999%.

14. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That makes sense.

I'm just thinking that the turbos themselves are probably susceptible to early failure due to the habit of driving aggressively before warming up the vehicle. And, turbocharged engines are put under more stress than NA engines, which makes them more prone to early failure due to bad driving habits.

Under normal circumstances, though, there's no reason for a turbocharged engine to be less reliable than an NA engine. I think we agree on this. Like I said, those Cummins diesels are notoriously bulletproof.

15. Oct 14, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    I must say that I looked at a few of the pics and didn’t read any of the words that were in the descriptions.
    I can’t afford it so why read anymore. And thanks for the clarification.
    Years ago back in CA., a co-worker brought in his neighbor’s FJ-60, with a CA. compliant 5.3 Vortec swap.
    Under the hood, it looked overly complicated just like the factory 6 popper. At the time, I was trying to sell all 3 of my old Land Cruisers and didn’t have the money to buy another project. House and family came first.

Ghood[OP] likes this.
  16. Oct 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    Ghood

Ghood [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gareth
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Toyota 4runner
    Headlights are a super easy install

17. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle. Turbos aren't that relevant to the start up and shut down procedure of the motor itself, due to modern engine tech and synthetic oil. But the issue is less that the turbo is heating the crap out of your engine (though neither is that a complete non issue) and more that the turbo itself is hot as f and shutting down can impede its own cooling. After all, they're typically cooled with an intercooler that relies on air. Thus hood scoops (you know, real ones, not like on the 4Runner lol) or placing the intercooler just behind the front grill, near the radiator.

All that said, it hardly seems to be the case that modern turbo engines are a big problem in the real world. Yes, all else being equal, it's an added component with moving parts etc., so it certainly ain't contributing to mechanical simplicity and reliability. But fear of turbo failure is probably overblown most of the time.

I don't like em myself, especially in a sports car, and they seem to exist in part to inflate EPA MPG numbers without real world MPG improvements. But they're a pretty cheap way of getting some good grunt out of a small motor, especially down low in the rev range.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Right. I think we're on the same page.

I have no concerns about reliability and turbos. I hope the next 4runner has the turbo 3.5, but I'm not counting on it.

They can improve power and fuel economy. It depends on how you drive, though. People probably beat the piss out of the EB F150's and then bitch about not getting the estimated fuel economy.

I can't think of a motor I'd rather have in a sports car than a 1jz or 2jz, personally. What's not to like about a small straight 6 making 700 (or more) reliable horsepower? :boink:

19. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Lol, I’d never criticize anyone for liking turbos. The most impressive engine I’ve owned was a BMW turbo 3.0. Lots of HP and torque, incredibly linear power delivery with virtually zero sense of lag, tons of umph low in the rev range, and decent MPG given all that performance.

The turbo 2.0 in my GTI was pretty impressive too.

I just prefer the character of a good NA. No engine ever made me smile as much as the classic BMW in line six of the pre-turbo 3 Series. That sound! The silky zing to redline! That was truly a mechanical thing of beauty.

20. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Oh, yeah! I think we had this conversation before! :D

And, there's definitely something cool about a good NA motor. I really did enjoy my slow-ass '85 Supra! It sounded beautiful!

21. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Ah yes, it did seem familiar :rofl:

I think we also talked about my dad's 85 Supra. It was slow by today's standards but back then I thought it was a freakin Porsche!* Damn did I love that car.

*In fact, it was about as fast as the 944 of the day. Not that I wouldn't have preferred the 944 all in all, but the Sup was a heck of a thing for the price.

22. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I still miss mine! Boy, did I get the tickets in that thing! :rolleyes:

:burnrubber:

23. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    A ticket in my dad's is what pushed me over the points limit and into a suspended license (and fines and mandatory driver training and ultimately court and...) Ah, those were the days....

24. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Haha! If I could get back the money from all of the tickets, and reinstating my license, I could buy another Supra!

25. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:56 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Don't want to throw this thread even farther off course, but can't resist mentioning that one day in '86 I took that Supra on a run of over 200 miles -- all on roads with 50 or 55 mph limits or less, including through the congested Washington DC Beltway -- and averaged 80.5 mph. That was very naughty of me.

26. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Ahh, the best threads always stray off topic!

That took some courage to maintain that speed! My dumbest moment, aside from doing a burnout in front if a cop, was burying the speedometer (135 MPH) in a 55, at night. It actually felt very comfortable at that speed.

27. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Whoa! Seems we can both be grateful that we -- and those around us -- survived our youths!

28. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    True! Sometimes I'm grateful that I was always broke and couldn't afford a fast car! :eek:

29. Oct 14, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    This is going to sound terribly elitist of me (I confess!) but I've alway felt that, as a moral matter if not a legal one (or as a matter of law enforcement discretion), high performance cars should allow for higher speeds. The braking, cornering and overall handling ability of my BMW M235 was sooooo far ahead of the average car that triple digit speeds were often entirely reasonable. That car was more stable, more maneuverable and more stoppable at those speeds than a lot of cars at 60. Awhile back a bunch of us piled on a forum member who talked about doing 105 in his 4Runner, and I was one of them. I feel bad about having been a scold then. But really, 105 in a 4Runner is like 160 in some other cars.

30. Oct 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I definitely agree that some cars are safer at high speed than others. That said, I was the guy who got clocked at 98 in my 4runner. I don't believe the 4runner is designed to go that fast, especially for a long period of time. However, it feels surprisingly comfortable cruising at 85. Not that I recommend driving it that fast.

Products Discussed in

To Top