1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is next for the Toyota 4runner?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Ghood, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Ghood

Ghood [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gareth
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Toyota 4runner
    With 6th Gen 4runner right around the corner, What might they do to change and make the 4runner better?

What are top 5 designs or features that can be improved on?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    DreamsComeTrue likes this.
  2. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    I'd like to see a power lift gate

3. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    When are they planning the 6th generation ? 2022 ?

DreamsComeTrue and Ghood[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    Ghood

Ghood [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gareth
    Vehicle:
    Yes

5. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    It will correspond with the 25 anniversary of the third gen 4runner turning antique. And will prob have a crease running down the side...

6. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    OK. Glad I asked. I'm likely going to be trading in my 2010 FJ Cruiser for a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro. Have you heard if the 6th will be a more radical change ? Especially the drivetrain ? Thanks.

Rick

7. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Ghood

Ghood [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gareth
    Vehicle:
    That is what this thread is for, To discuss changes and wants for the next 4runner

8. Oct 12, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    New engine, new tranny, hybrid maybe. Lockers front and rear.

9. Oct 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I expect it to be updated with keyless entry, a digital gage cluster, larger nav screen, a maybe LED lights standard. I hope to see it reduce in size, because its a bit too large imo. Maybe it will get a large sunroof, which seems to be a trend in SUVs right now and suits the 4runner well because it was once a convertible.

Obviously styling will is unknown, but I hope to see it with fewer angles and weird styling choices in the front. I would love to see them return to a simple boxy look with metal bumpers that aren't part of the body, and are there to protect it. Also no fake air vents please.
    They will probably add all the safety features and sensors that are on their other cars. Toyota has to upgrade from the 6 speed auto that is in the 4runner now. Obviously they will add an improved v6 engine

A lot depends on what Toyota decides to do with the Land Cruiser. If they keep selling it in the US as a more utilitarian vehicle that could affect what they do with the 4runner. If they discontinue it in the US, they might offer the ability to spec the new 4runner so it becomes similar to the out going lc200. Who knows though.

10. Oct 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    Ghood

Ghood [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gareth
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! You make some good points.

11. Oct 12, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    ToyotaMacGyver

ToyotaMacGyver At 88mph you’re going to see some serious sh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Pro
    I would bank on the next 4Runner following the design of the new RAV4 with an even more rugged look.

My wish is to integrate the LandCruiser in the lineup somehow with the LandCruiser addition being the only option you can get a SFA and perhaps being the Pro model.

LandRunner TRD Pro or something.

Also I want my spare tire mounted on the rear door and smaller rear overhang. No need for a third row seat imo. Leave that to the highlander and sequoia.

12. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The new 4Runner will be a rebadged Pathfinder but with a small rebadged BMW turbo. Buy a real one while you still can. :rofl:

Which is my way of saying that I doubt it will have the improvements I'd really like:

1. A trans with just as much durability as the current 5spd, but more gears to eek out a bit better MPG
    2. A lighter -- but just as durable -- body/chassis/frame to also eek out a bit better MPG
    3. The same stuff under the hood -- engine, hydraulic power steering etc
    4. Better interior materials
    5. An infotainment system that's not as crappy as the average infotainment system (the user interface is an embarrassment)
    6. Nothing else please!

brownersd and DreamsComeTrue like this.
  13. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Retired in the States like the FJ. Everybody wants hybrid or EV so here ya go.....
    Special Color code: Split Pea Pearlescent
    Split Pea Pearl.jpg

14. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I think @Ghood is a spy from Toyota! :spy:

Just kidding, of course!

But, just in case....

With the 4runner and highlander being the same size (pretty much) I'd love to see the 4runner become more off-road oriented. I love the combination of a rugged chassis with a comfortable interior. I think they can push this concept even further.

A solid front axle would be awesome. Failing that, maybe a front suspension and fenders that would allow clearance for larger tires. It would also be nice to be able to run 16" wheels, without losing brake performance.

A smaller, turbocharged engine or hybrid setup would be nice. I'm sure the next gen transmission will have more gears.

Ghood[OP] and MI-FL off roader like this.
  15. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:08 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R Pro 040
    Is plasti-dip a mod?!
    A MANUAL TRANSMISSION OPTION!!!!!

i can dream......

16. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    let's see...6 speed manual....all new state of the art, electronics . all housed in a retro looking '87 landcrusier body..

17. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    You guys wanting a new engine to eek out a couple more mpg’s... be careful what you wish for. The 3rd gen Tacoma got a 3.5L atkinson cycle engine instead of the 4.0L that was in the second gen.

Well, the 3.5L sucks imo. I loved my 2nd gen Tacoma’s. Hated the 3rd gen and traded it after just a couple months of ownership due to it not having enough power on the highway and it was constantly shifting up and down.

The 3.5L was fine around town but absolutely sucked on the highway. And it got crappy mpg with any wind at all. If they did something similar in the T4R to squeeze out an extra mpg, I would be done with Toyota’s for good.

I would love to see them keep the current 4.0 in the 6th gen T4R. It drives like a truck should. The new Tacoma feels like a Honda Civic in comparison.

18. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    It will be a hybrid, the new tundra is going that route, they might push the 3.5 with 6 speed as well. Cafe rules are killing these vehicles and I feel like the 4runner (up to current) will be like the fj where the resell value will only go up.

Hybrid can be hit or miss, owned a prius and it drank a quart of oil every 1k miles (very common prius problem after 100k miles)

4runningMan likes this.
  19. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:31 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Hmm never heard that one. Takes away from it's green foot print overall.
    I say hybrid or V8 opt, Manual or Auto, 2wd or 4x4 opt, Straight axle or IFS opt, Locker Fr and Rear opt, Non glare hood skewp, 35" w Bead lock opt, personal color options, Removable Top option, cup holders and power ports everywhere, etc....
    Just plain kick some Bronco ass.

stewtopia and Toy4X4 like this.
  20. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    Check out prius chat, it was/is a common issue, obviously not everyone had it but enough people do. They will never make a v8 if they're killing the 5.7

21. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Pro + 2018 Platinum Tundra
    A few things......
    Twin Turbo V6 from Lexus, or hybrid V6
    8 speed
    Power lift gate
    Heated steering wheel
    Infotainment from Hylander
    Auto on-demand 4x4
    Pano sun/moon roof

Thatbassguy and Toy4X4 like this.
  22. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I was being ridiculous with my choices anyway, but they would never have put a 3UR in the 4Runner anyway. Hell bring back a version of the 1uz and super charge it. It wouldn't weigh much more than the 3.5 in the Tacoma. What ever they do, they will be unfairly restricted by the big 3 lobbyists and congress in Washington. They would have had a proper diesel selling here in the states if it weren't for the politics.
    I think if Toyota engineers could figure out a way to safely mine and dispose of Lithium, they would change the world almost over night.
    I bet a collaboration between Musk and Toyota could find a way to solve a lot of the worlds energy and environmental problems. Musk is looking into free internet distributed from his Satellites, and is also talking about Sat to ground power transfer theories from solar arrays built on future satellites. Down load a charge from outerspace while your driving would be the most efficient way to recharge on a long trip.

23. Oct 12, 2020 at 11:33 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

DreamsComeTrue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    If they gonna mess up new 4runner I might look into that new land cruiser that is also supposed to be around the corner. I bet it won’t go the hybrid route.

brownersd and Toy4X4 like this.
  24. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sure glad I joined this Forum BEFORE I trade in my FJ Cruiser for a 4Runner. Really received some great information on a couple different Threads.
    I was going to wait till the 2022 Model year to trade in. But, after reading a couple Threads on this Forum, my gut feeling is to get a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro - if I want to keep the same engine/drive train as in my 2010 FJ Cruiser. Might be my last chance (?).

I note that the new Bronco with a V-6 is a smaller 2.7 Liter with twin turbos. This seems the way the manufactures are going.

FJ_4runner and Mitch like this.
  25. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    It would be nice if Toyota designed the 4 Runner to accept a wider range of tire sizes, and even supplied a 35” tire with the off road model. Bigger tires are one of the first and most common mods Toyota owners undertake, and it’s pretty difficult to do easily with the tight wheel clearances.
    The old 4 litre engine will be history, unfortunately. It just isn’t fuel efficient enough for the modern era. It will make the 5th gens instant classics.

mrmike7189, Ghood[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  26. Oct 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    The 3.5 is a fake Atkinson cycle engine. I've never heard such a wide range of opinions on a motor, though. Some really like it. A buddy on TW drives the shit out of his and gets 22-23 MPG.

I thought they were going TT V6?

V8 will NEVER happen again. We should accept this now.

True! Hopefully they replace it with something worthy!

27. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I know, I just like to stir the pot. Like a manual transmission, straight axle or 35" tires w beadlocks will ever happen either.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  28. Oct 13, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    This is the political and engineering catch for Toyota producing the 4Runner as an import. If you design a vehicle to accept larger tires, you lose aerodynamics, then you have even worse mileage issues than it already has, and the guzzler tax gets even higher. There is already a 10% luxury tax on vehicles sold at more than $30K. Which is applied to every new T4R.
    To build an efficient enough power plant that satisfies mileage to weight requirements, then it won't be powerful enough to put larger tires on it. Which arguably the 4Runner already suffers from.
    EV's massive torque is the answer in the long term when they figure out better charging tech, range problems, and toxic waste associated with battery tech. But in the short term? Who knows? Maybe an Eco-Boost type engine would work. But would that add too much to the overall cost and take it out of a lot budgets because of the import luxury tax? Most likely. What would be cool is a factory to open up in the States to produce several models of Yotas, including the 4Runner. That would eliminate a lot of the tax and tariff costs.
    But like a lot of T4R V8 pipe dreams, that will never happen because of sales and profit margins. They would most likely introduce a new model based on an existing platform that is already produced here. I'm sure the Highlander platform has been looked at in that regard. The probability of the T4R going on a diet and getting way more efficient with bolder engine tech is pretty high.
    If the T4R sold as many units as the F150? The possibilities would be endless, but one can only dream at this point.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Oct 13, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    All credible evidence point to the 6th gen 4Runner coming out in Sept/Oct 2022 as a 2023 Model Year. You still might be ok getting a 5th gen as a 2022 model year.

As far as wants, I would love a TT V6 in the 6th gen but I think it's going to be a single turbo 4cyl.

I want a Prime option as well.

I'd also love the Pro trim to offer something like the Raptor. Wider stance, wider body panels, 33's stock, motor upgrade, ect.....

Ghood[OP] likes this.
  30. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    How about a basic 2 door, 22-R, 5-sp manual, 4:1 transfer case and solid axles.
    Or even a 5:1 tc like my TJ.
    And nanny button free. Let me drive the damn thing.

Ghood[OP] and MI-FL off roader like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top