1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vehicle Data Transmission

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Harbinger, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Aug 1, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    When I paired my 2019 TRD ORP with my phone, the 4Runner asked for permission to access certain things on my phone - contacts, SMS, and I don't remember what else. It obviously needs your contact and SMS info for the hands-free features of calling and reading your texts to you.

If you set your GPS 'Go Home' option, it knows where you live also. I always set these options to a location far enough away but close enough so that if I get to that place, I inherently know how to go the rest of the way home.

What it does with this data is not clear to me. I hope it stays local to the vehicle and when I use the head unit menu option to delete my data that it does that also.

2A4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    According to https://www.toyota.com/content/connectedservices/marketing/PDF/MY19_Connected_Services_Table.pdf the 2019 4Runner did not have any models with "Connected Services"

According to https://www.toyota.com/content/connectedservices/marketing/PDF/MY20_Connected_Services_Table.pdf different models of the 4Runner had different "Connected Services"

It sounds like a lot of the "extras" come with your installation of the Entune mobile app on your phone.

Have you registered your vehicle with Toyota and provided them even more information about you?

The fine print disclaimer on that 2020 Connected Services PDF is this:
    1. Toyota Safety Connect depends on an operative telematics device, a cellular connection, navigation map data and GPS signal strength and other factors outside of Toyota’s control, all of which can limit system functionality or availability, including access to response center and emergency support. Stolen vehicle police report required to use Stolen Vehicle Locator. Registration required. Service subject to change at any time without notice. Terms of Use apply. Service may vary by vehicle and region. See usage precautions and service limitations in Owner’s Manual and Toyota.com/connected-services/ for additional details. To learn about Toyota’s data collection, use, sharing and retention practices, please visit https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/. The Safety Connect trial period is at no extra cost and begins on the original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle. After the trial period expires, enrollment in paid subscription is required to access the service. 2. Contact with the response center may not be available in all areas. Service Agreement required. A variety of subscription terms available; charges will vary. See Toyota.com for details. 3. Information provided is based on the last time data was collected from the vehicle and may not be up to date. Service Connect depends on an operative telematics device, a cellular connection, navigation map data, GPS signal strength and other factors outside of Toyota’s control, which can limit functionality or availability. Service may vary by vehicle and region. Registration required. Service subject to change at any time without notice. Terms of Use apply. See usage precautions and service limitations in Owner’s Manual and Toyota.com/connected-services for additional details. To learn about Toyota’s data collection, use, sharing and retention practices, please visit https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/. The Service Connect trial period is at no extra cost and begins on the original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle. After the trial period expires, enrollment in paid subscription is required to access the service. 4. Use only if aware of circumstances surrounding vehicle and it is legal and safe to do so (e.g., do not remotely start engine if vehicle is in an enclosed space or vehicle is occupied by a child). Remote Connect depends on an operative telematics device, a cellular connection, GPS signal strength and other factors outside of Toyota’s control, which can limit system functionality and availability. Service may vary by vehicle and region. Registration and app download required. Terms of Use apply. Data charges may apply. Remote start/stop not available on manual transmission-equipped vehicles. Services subject to change at any time without notice. See usage precautions and service limitations in Owner’s Manual and https://www.toyota.com/connected-services for additional details. To learn about Toyota’s data collection, use, sharing and retention practices, please visit https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/. The Remote Connect trial period is at no extra cost and begins on the original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle. After the trial period expires, enrollment in a paid subscription is required to access the service. Terms and conditions apply. 5. Wi-Fi Connect is available on select 2018 and newer Toyota vehicles. Visit Toyota.com for vehicle availability. Verizon Wireless is the network provider for Wi-Fi Connect, which uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to transmit data. Data usage and charges apply. Coverage not available everywhere; see vzw.com. See verizonwireless.com/bestnetwork for details. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Other terms apply. Up to 5 devices can be supported using in-vehicle connectivity. Verizon Wireless data subscription required upon end of 6-month trial period or use of 2-GB data (whichever comes first). Use of Wi-Fi Connect subject to Verizon Wireless’ Customer Agreement (verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/), Privacy Policy (verizon.com/about/privacy/privacy-policy-summary), and data use policies (verizonwireless.com/support/vz-email-legal/). Apps and services subject to change at any time without notice. 6. Destination Assist depends on an operative telematics device, a cellular connection, navigation map data and GPS signal strength and other factors outside of Toyota’s control, which can limit system ability, functionality or availability. Use common sense when relying on this information. Service may vary by vehicle and region. Registration required. Services subject to change at any time without notice. Terms and conditions of subscription services agreement apply. See Owner’s Manual and Toyota.com/connected-services for additional limitations and details. To learn about Toyota’s data collection, use, sharing and retention practices, please visit https://www.toyota.com/privacyvts/. The Destination Assist trial period is at no extra cost and begins on the original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle. After the trial period expires, enrollment in a paid subscription is required to access the service. 7. Renewal pricing and services are subject to change at any time without prior notification. All pricing excludes taxes and Dealer labor fee is required to perform Map data updates. Dealer labor charges may vary by location. Dynamic Navigation & Destination Assist renewals available on Multimedia Premium Audio only. Scout® GPS Link renewal available on Multimedia Audio and Multimedia Audio Plus only. Safety, Service, Remote, and Wi-Fi renewals available on Multimedia Audio Plus & Multimedia Premium Audio only. Contact with the response center for connected services may not always be available in some areas. 8. Eligible vehicle and wireless service required. Coverage and service not available everywhere. Valid in the contiguous U.S. and Alaska. Do not drive distracted. Go to att.com/toyota for terms and conditions. Wi-Fi Connect is available on select 2019 and newer Toyota vehicles. Visit Toyota.com for vehicle availability. Data usage and charges apply. Up to 5 devices can be supported using in-vehicle connectivity. Services subject to change at any time without notice. The Wi-Fi Connect trial period is at no extra cost and begins on the date of activation. After the trial period expires, enrollment in a paid subscription is required to access the service. Terms and conditions apply.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    2A4R likes this.
  3. Aug 1, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Good info. But Safety Connect has been a feature on the 4R Limited since 2015, as per https://www.toyota.com/content/entune/pdf/Safety_Connect_Legacy_Support.pdf

While this is a lot less by way of connected services than what’s on the 2020 models, it’s still an internet connection, via cellular, from your car. (Plus location tracking). There’s still a microphone to collect audio from inside the car. There’s still a question of how much a hacker, or Toyota at the behest of the government, could do with that connection to either manipulate the car or to collect your data.

4. Aug 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
  5. Aug 1, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    stokka

stokka New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Canadian SR5
    New member here, two day owner of 2020 SR5. This thread is an eye opener. Thank you OP and everybody for the info!

6. Jun 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    I get emails from Toyota telling me my windshield fluid is getting low. What else do they know about me?

Singleminded likes this.
  7. Jun 21, 2021 at 5:40 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Where your truck is at any given time. Probably how fast you're driving, cornering and braking (you can opt out of sharing this information with insurers, but I'm not sure we know whether Toyota still collects it -- regardless, we know they can collect it anytime they want to). Plus of course all the personal info you've willingly provided to them as part of the purchase, any Toyota app use, etc.

But IMHO the bigger issue is the vulnerability of these connected services to abuse by entities other than Toyota. I don't really distrust Toyota per se. Well, other than they probably want to monetize your data. Like a lot of tech companies.

But we all know they will hand over the keys to the kingdom in response to a government request, whether that's to remotely immobilize your truck or eavesdrop on your conversations inside it. And we have like zero reason to trust that these systems are immune to hacking by lone cybercriminals, or ransomware gangs, or hostile nations.

8. Jun 21, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    As soon as the Russian hackers get tired of shutting down oil pipelines and extorting money from our industries they’re coming for your 4Runners. :rofl:

Singleminded and SlvrSlug like this.
  9. Jun 21, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Sure, laugh while you can. When the sh*t hits the fan I'll be the one laughing. Though you won't be able to hear me, cause I'll be down here in my bunker with a thousand MREs and my 4Runner securely wrapped in tinfoil... (Now, if I can only figure out how to drive it with all that tinfoil covering the windshield...) :laugh:

ElectroBoy[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    Tinfoil caps for the shark fin antenna.

11. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Perfect! Or maybe one of those mylar type bags that electronic toll transponders come with, so you can prevent them from being read by accident. Could just slip that thing over the sharkfin like a condom. Both are prophylactics! :D

12. Jun 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I wonder if Toyota offers these connected, hackable, services in other countries with less “robust” civil liberties protections than the US has.

I dont know about you, but having these “services” available to “me” in (insert tin pot dictatorship) would have me feeling in constant danger.

For those that rest easy on the civil protections we enjoy in the US (by natural right, not granted by government), it is worth reminding everyone how quickly tides can change politically. No matter how solid you think something can be, politics can change on a dime, and in pretty unexpected ways. Politicians might not be able to change the constitution or bill of rights, but they dont need to follow it either.

13. Jun 22, 2021 at 6:46 PM
    MiamiMark

MiamiMark New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seriously?
    Vehicle:
    '21 MGM TRD Pro
    F49B70EB-8C20-42CD-A699-875489DA795B.jpg 928FE726-5700-4989-83CC-ACB1B9E1A57A.jpg Despite the idiot salesman trying to get me to accept and activate, I immediately declined all those privacy-destroying "services" Toyota pedals.

14. Jun 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Old Red likes this.
  15. Dec 11, 2021 at 2:12 PM
    NauticalBlueLimited

NauticalBlueLimited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    I'm not sure what exactly it did, but I pulled the Mayday fuse in the engine compartment from my 2019 Limited. I can hope that has disabled a lot or all of the tracking. I have the SOS button, and I believe that is now disactivated. In newer 4runners, there’s a DCM fuse under the dash to the left of the steering wheel and that also disables the mic for hands free calling according to the other thread. I rarely bring my phone with me and have no need of hands free calling (haven’t paired my phone with my truck) so I don’t know if the Mayday fuse does the same. I'm perfectly ok with disabling the mic, something else that can be hacked. If anyone has any other easy things to do to disable as much information as possible, let me know. I'm not up to dismantling the fin, AV unit, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top