1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota's new V6

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Slopemaster, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Aug 5, 2021 at 4:30 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    You mean climate change? AKA that thing that has existed since before humans. :D

OTOH, if people want to continue to overpopulate the planet, we'll have to figure out ways to conserve natural resources as much as possible.

It was the 4th gen that saw the big increase from the 3rd gen. The 5th gen wheel base is the same as the 4th.

The reason for that was that our fuel economy requirements are based on the vehicle's footprint. So, rather than making it more fuel efficient, they made it larger.

The reason your Acura can be smaller is because it's lighter and more fuel efficient. Personally, I'm fine with the dimensions of the current 4Runner. It's nice to be able to put adults in the back seat comfortably.

Agreed. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the rated torque on the smaller Lexus turbo motor is available from 1650 - 4000 RPM's. That's a lot of usable power. I'd be damn happy to have over 300 LB/FT available in a similar RPM range.

I think a single turbo inline motor is a good setup.

As far as turbo lag; I drove my brother's 3.5 EB F150 once and didn't notice it being an issue at all. What is your daughter's issue with the twin turbos?

2. Aug 5, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Yeah I love the size of the the 5 Gen. I can put fishing gear and people and in there and it TOWS 5,000 lbs while fitting in the garage.

There is the RAV4 for those who want a smaller vehicle. Everything is already too small for me. I bought mine for recreation and fishing not just driving to work. I hope they keep this size and down towing capacity.

Not everyone wants a F150 to tow their fishing boat with.

A&P likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    18RunnerLTD

18RunnerLTD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I think the new 4R is going to see a lot of updates & upgrades to try and capture some of the Land Cruiser market... Thoughts?

4. Aug 5, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Not gonna happen. Why research and develop a vehicle that just takes sales away from the 4runner?

I'd be open to a more utilitarian/off-road oriented 4Runner trim, though. Maybe make the PRO have some real advantages over the other trims.

Trail Runnah and nimby like this.
  5. Aug 5, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Car manufacturers have already started to electrify their fleets because “the science is settled” and wackos like the EU and CA have promised to outlaw ICE cars by the 2030s. So now we’re going to start to see dinky 4 cyl turbos and more EVs. Whether we want them or not.

6. Aug 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    lodi781

lodi781 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ARB BP-51 suspension, T-13 coils, BF Goodrich AT2 275 70 r17, Gobi rack, black oak LED single LB.
    No Idea to be honest. The truth is I’ll be buying what they’re selling because I need a ride so it doesn’t really matter what my thoughts or feelings are on it anayways….

7. Aug 5, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Haha! I'm a fan of simple, old school technology as well. Unfortunately, it's just not going to be an option pretty soon.

rickystl and olliechristoper like this.
  8. Aug 5, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Those are my thoughts. As long as the reliability and function are to my liking then I'm on it.

This is sadly true. I have a 2012 Beta 498cc with a carb. All the modern 4T's are fuel injected.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Yes that was probably one of the reasons they discontinued the FJ. What I liked about the FJ was it's rugged simplicity. And I still miss my 2010 FJ. So the 2021 ORP was the natural new vehicle choice with the same drive train.

A&P and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Aug 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    And that probably accounts for the popularity of the earlier, restored vehicles. Wonder what it would cost for a restored FJ40, say 1972 or earlier ? LOL

11. Aug 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Not cheap!

https://bringatrailer.com/toyota/fj40/

12. Aug 6, 2021 at 1:56 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    I guess one of the turbos went bad (bushing/bearing) and it was replaced, but the #2 turbo got damaged as a result, at the time the shop did NOT know that #2 turbo sustained damage and sent her on her merry way. So she's driving the Navigator around and the engine acts like it's seizing up and dies, only to find out that both turbos are bad now, one a week old. Now she's getting both replaced at no cost to her. But, twin inline turbos are sometimes finicky, I go with your single turbo idea.

13. Aug 6, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Geez! Sounds like a pain in the ass! I hope they get it fixed right for her.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] and A&P like this.
  14. Aug 6, 2021 at 5:09 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I have several friends who had issues with the F150s and turbos on the eco boost that went especially early on.

I know the turbo turned me away from the new Ranger as well.

Toy4X4 and A&P like this.
  15. Aug 6, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    olliechristoper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Man that is a drag. I have never owned a turbo vehicle but had them in fleet vehicles. The warm up and cool down is really important part of longevity. There are a few turbos that are just poorly designed. Most of them are oil cooled so it's really important to keep your cooling system in good shape.

I'm willing to bet Toyota going to put a decent and reliable system into there vehicles. Seems like Lexus already has a proven reliable platform with the 3.5 turbo motors.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  16. Aug 6, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    rino924

rino924 New Member

Member:
    Power delivery isn't bad at all in my wife's NX. I don't think it would be as bad as you all think. Plus so many people lust after throwing a supercharger on our trucks, so much easier to tune something already there.

17. Aug 6, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Does she have the 2.0 or 2.4?

Also, the NX is about 10-15% lighter than the 4runner depending on the trim.

olliechristoper and nimby like this.
  18. Aug 6, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    That’s because the supercharger feeds off of engine power and does not generate any lag.

The only way to get around turbo lag is to have a low and high rpm turbo.

I’ve driven cars with single turbos and dual turbos, and there is absolutely no benefit of turbocharging a vehicle that needs quick power delivery unless you’re willing to go for at least a twin set up.

And I wouldn’t use Ford as an example, they are just an incompetent company with engineers and car builders who took the short bus to school.

Turbocharging is not a mystical black art. I do question any turbo that doesn’t run off of premium fuel, however.

But putting premium fuel into a car or a truck and topping off the oil if the turbo starts to cook it off every 6000 miles is more than the average consumer can handle, so that’s why these types of powertrains ultimately don’t do well with the American public.

19. Aug 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM
    olliechristoper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hold on now!! That new Ford Bronco is one of the most technologically advanced 4 X 4's ever bit. They are so well engineered you can hear the removable tops and fold out tailgate tray rattle as you travel down the highway. And lets not forget the left over 10R60 10 speed transmissions slapped in that are an engineering marvel also currently used in the Ford explorer. :wink:

Very well said Sir. I forgot about the oil usage issues on most turbos. I remember all those Cummins straight 6 pick ups and Volvo/Cat gensets that just drank the oil. Especially when new and breaking in. I'm thinking with a decent background in basic maintenance, those owners will not have to suffer.

20. Aug 7, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    But, the 4runner doesn't need "quick" power delivery. A single turbo 4 cylinder would be just fine, IMO.

Agreed! Those Cummins turbo diesels have amazing longevity if properly maintained.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  21. Aug 7, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Whats funny is this forums aversion to Toyota putting anything but a naturally asperated in the new 4runner, meanwhile those same people clamor to fit trd turbo kits to their 4runners. On the 2nd hand market having a turbo seems to make it more valuable. It defies logic.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Aug 7, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Turbo lag sucks.

You are driving a gutless 4 banger until it kicks in.

Or get one of these.

22692680-C9B7-4CCE-BEB9-1E00BE7835C7.jpg

23. Aug 7, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Which can be at a lower and more usable RPM than our N/A V6. The Lexus 2.0 reaches peak torque at 1650 RPM compared to 4400 for the 1GR. So, I guess it's "gutless" at idle?

I'm really not seeing a problem with a turbo 4 in the next gen 4runner. Do you really think a N/A 3.5 would have a better torque curve than a well engineered turbo 4?

I really don't think turbo lag will be an issue for the 4runner. It's not a race car, after all.

nimby and Toy4X4 like this.
  24. Aug 7, 2021 at 8:57 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    I’d want low rpm turbo performance in low range, which would suck on the highway unless you have a twin set up which adds complexity.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  25. Aug 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That turbo 4.0 has peak torque available from 1650 - 4000 RPM's. I assume any turbo motor they would put in the next gen 4runner would have a similar power band.

I'm still not seeing the down side.

Would you prefer they go with the fake Atkinson cycle Tacoma engine so we could all spend the next 10 years hearing everyone bitch about the lack of low RPM torque?

Are you suggesting that we would only benefit from low RPM torque in 4LO?

Toy4X4 likes this.
  26. Aug 7, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Deadmeat99

Deadmeat99 New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    They can throw more gears in the transmission to make up for any high or low-end problems. Of course that adds complexity, which potentially decreases reliability. All I know is that I wouldn't buy a model year 1 or 2 of this new design.

A&P, Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  27. Aug 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    I’d want a sequential low and high pressure system for constant boost.

28. Aug 7, 2021 at 10:11 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Which adds complication.

Have you driven one of the turbo Lexus models? How do you know sequential turbos are necessary?

Toy4X4 likes this.
  29. Aug 8, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    olliechristoper

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    These engines are so advanced that I'm pretty confident Toyota can squeeze some pretty darn good HP and torque with only one turbo. Maybe come up with something similar to GM and Ford with a larger naturally aspirated motor that cuts power from cylinders that are not needed.

If you want to get a comparison of complexity, go to a Ford dealer and open the hood side by side of the 7.3 gas and the 6.7 turbo diesel. Just changing the spark plugs alone would be a nightmare on the turbo diesel!!

30. Aug 8, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Agreed! The torque band on the 2.0 turbo is a good indication that there should be plenty of usable power available.

Products Discussed in

To Top