1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T4R to a Jeep...?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 4Runner fun, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan 8, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    I get it but what’s a little :stirthepot: every once in a while let them have at it.

2. Jan 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    Abanero

Abanero New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange 4Runner TRD Pro
    I like where your head is at. Stir the pot.

unnamed.jpg i-bought-a-jee-i-hate-jeep.jpg images.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  3. Jan 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Never owned a Jeep, can't trash talk something I've never owned. You can read about all the problems and horrible ride, but if you've never owned one....no substantiation in the hate lol.
    But, I have seen one of the Jeep LJs in action that was an 05' Rubicon with the 6speed manual, Locking Dana 44s front and rear on 35s. That thing was a bad ass. If one came up for sale that I could afford, I would have to think about it. Figures one of the best 4x4s ever built, and corporate decided to only produce it for 2 years, and replace it with the 4 door. SMH.

4. Jan 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I don't what is all this "horrible ride" stories in general. I've driven few times my buddies JK 4 door with "rock krawler 2.5" lift with Fox shocks and the ride is very good. I have also test driven the JL 4 door Rubicon and the ride is not bad. Yes you don't have a sharp steering response but I don't know what it there to call it a horrible ride by many. The reason I was seriously looking for a Jeep is I can't take my 4runner the places my buddy take his Jeep without damaging mine. His JK is not a Rubicon but the lift kit came with sway bar disconnect pins. It has insane wheel travel. That's the reason I was looking at Rubicon since you can disconnect sway bar with a button. Having front locker is really nice to have vs having a front locker on a 4runner that does not have a stronger axle.
    Yes the Diesel and the v8 has lot of hype on the community but might be a good option to stay with the known v6 and I don't think the new 8 speed trans is bad.
    Yes it is not reliable as a 4Runner which is why I haven't pull the trigger yet. May be one day I will pull the trigger trading in one of our 4Runners for a Rubicon.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Jan 8, 2021 at 3:30 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    @kmeeg Yea unfortunately I can't speak of experience, but have read about them on multiple forums and talked to people who have driven them. The other side of this coin is that ride is subjective to the individual. In my business we rent a lot of vehicles, with multiple brands and styles being used by dozens of people in a weeks time.
    I have had everything from small suvs to pick up trucks. Mid size cars ride like crap imho. My King shock outfitted 4Runner rides better and handles almost as well. Apples to Oranges? Yes, but a year and a half ago I had an SR5P rental, and that thing rode good and handled fine. Maybe because I knew what to expect.
    Tires play into this as well. Am I going to get a good ride in a Hertz mid size rental with crap tires? Doubtful. So that is a subjective opinion on my part that all mid size cars ride like crap.
    I had one of the new Cherokee base units last year, what a POS. You couldn't pay me to drive that thing for more than the week that I had it.
    Is that a Wrangler? No, never driven one so I couldn't tell you.
    This past fall one of my co workers had one the Fox Gladiators. I was impressed with how it looked, never rode in it, so I don't know. He didn't like it on the Chicago freeways, said it rode OK, but it was twitchy, tippy and uncomfortable making lane changes.
    So I think ride quality is a subjective opinion to the individual, and possibly a lot variables between different Wranglers too.
    I would like to take a Wrangler one week and put it through the abuse I put my 4Runners through, on the hwy and off, and see what shakes out. I take good care of my trucks, but I don't baby them at all, and I think I could give an honest review because I know how bias works in this scenario.

kmeeg likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    If I knew the guys at the service department well enough to buy them pizza, I would take that as a sign that I was spending way too much time there. :boink:

7. Jan 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    I've owned 5 Jeeps - the biggest disappointment was an 07 Rubicon 4 Door. I forget the exact linkage, but there's something on that model that activates the transfer case that looks a bicycle brake cable and - mine broke when I absolutely needed it to work. The seat upholstery was cheap, it had a minivan engine in it and frankly, I swore I'd never own another Jeep made after 2007. I've owned an 02 and an 05 since. I'd buy another TJ in a minute. IMHO, the Wrangler and Ram trucks are the only things that are keeping Fiat/Chrysler afloat.

I wish Toyota would put their big boy pants on and realize there is a market in the US for a solid front axle vehicle. People don't buy Wranglers for the ride quality. They buy them for their potential...and some of the heathens for actual off-road use. ;-)

8. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock

Agree. I rented a 2.5" lifted 2 door JK Rubi in Moab a few years ago, and thought it rode just fine. And it goes without saying, it was a beast on the trail. Approach/departure/breakover on those is amazing. It'll go places a 5th gen can't dream of.

However, one day of driving it made me decide the 2 door was not for me. Rear seat access sucked, no good spot to put the freedom tops (I had them off on Fins n Things for about 5 minutes before them rattling around in the back seat drove me crazy), and it seemed to handle a little squirrelly (of course that could have to do with the lift and Antirock swaybar setup).

I wanted a 4 door JK SOOOOO bad, but then the JL's came out, and I liked them enough to be soured on the JK, but I did NOT want to pay new JL prices. I also made the adult decision that I really needed something that skewed more to the "daily driver" side of the equation, so I settled on my used Trail that cost about 50% of what the JL I would have wanted cost.

To this day though, whenever I see a nice JLUR I always feel a twinge of envy.

9. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We looked at a Gladiator... it had a Fox lift/suspension, bigger tires, aftermarket rims, and thought about doing it, but the price was crazy! Then the wife said "if we're going to get another pickup, why not another Tacoma?" Then she bought up the point of all the pickups we've owned in the past... no matter how nice the tonneau covers are, they all had in most cases.. leaks. so for that reason we bought a 4Runner(everything under a climate controlled roof.. which the jeep could have provided too) I've seen some really nice Jeep builds, never owned one, but the 4Runner does what we need it to do... at a better price. BTW- our son-in-law is a salesperson at a Chev/GMC/Ford/Jeep/Ram dealership, so if you really want a Jeep, see what he can come up with!

4Runner fun[OP] and HondaKen like this.
  10. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:46 AM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    You have it backwards, son.

You buy the odd pizza in advance so they know who YOU are if you have a problem.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  11. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro 4Runner
    F4EBE28C-7D7A-427C-8360-2121AD1E71F8.jpg 0D764828-3E96-44A9-9727-D59FCCACAE1B.jpg 71C12FBE-3AFD-4F59-A518-A921849E7FE9.jpg
    My buddy here has the exact same set up...05 Rubi LJ on 35s with 2-3inch lift and it’s an absolute animal. There’s not much on a trail that can compare without spending $80-100,000. As far as ride quality and quality overall, my 4 door JL ride quality improved so much when I went to 35s. The sway on road and steering issues went away immediately. My 05 TJ was my favorite I’ve owned for obvious reasons but mostly the engine. I enjoyed my 16 2- door as well and like the JL, the ride actually improved with 35s. I loved all my jeeps and they are not a POS like some people claim. They only really have issues when abused and they are the most abused vehicle out there.
    Couple pics...I know we all like them. I miss these but love the 4R better to be honest. And I didn’t abuse mine. Mine for road and around the farm driving and occasional light trails around here.

12. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I don't really appreciate being called "son." It makes it sounds like your talking down to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though.

I never bought pizza for the guys at Wilde Toyota, and got treated just fine when I went in to have my needle bearing looked at.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Toy4X4 and SlvrSlug like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    How did your needle bearing thing come out? Wonder if a Toyota dealer would install the bushing from ECGS? Probably not, but might be worth a try. If they won't do it, I guess I'll do it myself.

14. Jan 9, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It went fine. I said that I thought my 4runner had the needle bearing issue. They took it for a drive and said they agreed and asked when I wanted to have the repair done.

I dropped it off a few days later and got a little Nissan loaner. The next day, I picked it up with a whole new differential.

The service manager said that the new differential had a different part number than the original, so I was hoping that this meant they had actually solved the problem.

We'll see.

I have about 18K on the new differential, and nothing yet. I thought I heard a similar noise one day, but at a higher speed. It hasn't done it again, so maybe my ears were playing tricks on me.

I thought I heard of someone having the dealer install the ECGS bushing, but I don't recall the details. If mine fails again after the warranty period, I will definitely go ECGS for the fix.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm A new differential? For a $60 part and $200 in labor? I just wonder what the corporate mindset is in these types of scenarios. How are they repurposing these differentials? Stripping them down and reusing the parts? Selling the whole diff as refurbished for accident replacements and rebuilds? Or do they write it off on some sort of lawsuit against the needle bearing manufacturer? Curious.....

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I have no beef with you personally, it's the implications I can do without.

If you have something to say, say it. Lets skip the passive aggressive.

You wield respect at your service department because.

I spend a few bucks to be a person to a service department instead of a VIN, which equates to them not respecting me and having to resort to bribery to buy their services, because I'm doing something else wrong.

Did I get the drift?

17. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think I just misunderstood your other post. I don't mean to implicate anything.

They should treat every customer well, regardless of who has or hasn't bought them pizza. That's all I meant to say. I'll edit the other post.

I have no beef here, either. :cheers:

Toy4X4 and 4Runner fun[OP] like this.
  18. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun [OP] Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    This is why text is bad for inflections & sarcasm. I am glad cooler heads prevail!
    So long as the techs don't cross thread the skid or scratch your vehicle!
    Ryan.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 9, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This sounds a bit specific! :rofl:

20. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Fltslr

Fltslr the last hurrah

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock 4runner Pro
    I keep catching up to and passing jeeps. And I drive slowly. My bud said the short wheelbase make for a tough ride.

21. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I thought it was unusual as well. But, like I said, the service manager told me it was a new part number. So, I thought maybe they came up with a real fix. Of course, I haven't really looked into it, and the guy could have been full of shit. I guess I'll find out eventually.

22. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Maybe under warranty the potential damage to the diff from pieces and parts floating around is the reasoning. I guess worse case is that they could have had some diffs completely fail, so they wrote it into the TSB.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I had heard of someone who had their bearing replaced multiple times, so maybe they altered the design somehow hoping for a permanent fix. It's weird that some have the problem and others don't, though.

24. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:11 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I wonder why the limited automatically has the ECGS type bushing and the part time gets the needle bearing. I guess the engineers feel that the solid bushing won't last? It's a weird situation.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:43 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Only from reading this forum! I am my own tech unless it is warranty or recall. I have been wrenching for 25+ yrs. Plus, with my business I have pneumatics & a shop to work in.
    Ryan

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jan 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Ha! I might have written one of the things you read. :mad:

I did the first 2 free services. I have done my own since then. It's the only way to get the tires rotated the way I want. :D

27. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    We're good.

You stay out of this until we're square on the burgers @ Old Town.

28. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    We ate the 2 free services. I buy filters from the dealership with the milage in the note section on the receipt just in case.
    I then go to Autozone & get oil that isn't from a bulk container (that who knows if it is ever cleaned). I hate bulk oil.
    In high-school I was an oil tech @ a local car wash. I learned a ton from my gear-head of a boss! He taught me brakes on my car & tons more on his. RIP Bill
    The salesman & service department don't understand me but love it @ the same time!
    Ryan.

29. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Ok, now I'm curious. What about burgers? I like burgers. :D

Toy4X4 and 4Runner fun[OP] like this.
  30. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Old Market...
    I was wondering if you remembered! Lol
    I hate to see two forum friends have a misunderstanding. First beer is on me!
    :cheers:
    Ryan.

Products Discussed in

To Top