1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil change question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Lifeman27, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Oct 28, 2022 at 6:33 AM
    GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro - Black
    Do them yourself. That way you have no question that it was done correctly. Takes about 30 minutes, just get a set of ramps, a 14mm and a 12mm socket and filter wrench from Amazon. I bulk-buy my filters ahead of time. Hit the Auto-Zone or Napa for the oil. Biggest PITA is removing and re-installing my TRD skid plate. But it's a great feeling of well-being to know that everything is done correctly, all bolts are tightened and the skid-plate bolts don't get stripped.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  2. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    jasonmcelroy

jasonmcelroy Recovering perfectionist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Grey Trail
    Bilsteins, KO2, sound system, RedArc towing
    For me it's not about the money. It's about making sure it's done right with no damage.

IMO oil change is made unnecessarily complicated by the canister/filter setup (as opposed to a spin on). The plastic fitting that is *supposed* to clip into the canister to drain it before removing the element is a bodge at best. No way I've found to avoid spillage and the plastic fitting easily cracks on install or removal. (Yes, I now have the Motiv-X tool . . .)

So if I, as someone invested in doing a good job and has 30 years of mechanical and engine building experience, finds this to be fiddly work, imagine how it's gonna turn out when a $12/hr lube tech has to do it. Nothing against them BTW, I think the pay sucks and it's a job where doing it right only hurts the employee. Incentives are wrong in the repair industry.

Conclusion (man, I'm ramble-y today):
    Do it yourself if you can.
    Find a REAL shop where you can talk to the person who will do the work.

Jason

7385, 2Toys, 4runGirl88 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oct 28, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I don't mind doing the oil change and even tire rotation, its my lack of mechanical skills and expertise that concerns me. I can't identify issues that may be able to dealt with while its small, I don't know what things to look for, and so on.

LuLu likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:16 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2003 V8 4x4 ARB Locked and Lifted on 35's with 4.88's
    The Dealer is usually cheaper than those quick service places.
    Peace of mind, however, is priceless.
    I do the oil changes myself.

TrueTexas likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    So obvious, yet so elusive. It didn’t click until I read the words. Yes! Talk to the guy who does the work rather than a manicured service advisor who hands the work off to a faceless technician with no accountability to the customer.

jasonmcelroy[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 28, 2022 at 10:36 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I would report that nonsense to the BBB.

7. Oct 28, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Just getting under your vehicle with a flashlight looking it over is a good thing. You don’t have to be a master mechanic to notice fluid leaks. You’ll find that in time you will become very familiar with it and notice when something seems off. Then if need be you can have a mechanic take a closer look. Good on you for doing your own preventative maintenance.

8. Oct 28, 2022 at 1:27 PM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    PPF, Tint, Black out badges/Valances. Bilstein 6112's & 5100's
    This ^^^

9. Oct 28, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I did one today on the taco. I installed the fumoto valve so in the future they go easier and no mess. I think there is value in doing it yourself and getting the parts components you want to use.

20221028_131852.jpg

10. Oct 28, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Did my oil change today, first time since I had the lift removed. I must say it’s a lot easier with the lift.

Spare Parts, 2Toys and 4runGirl88 like this.
  11. Oct 28, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    4runGirl88

4runGirl88 Get a little mud on the tires!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black SR5 Premium (AKA Black Betty)
    Did my own (OK, fine, I had a little help) for the first time last month. Found out that the dealership techs ruined every bolt for my skid plate by using the impact gun too aggressively. This, and other numerous reasons, are why I think it is wise to do the oil change yourself. Peace of mind knowing you did it exactly as it should be. I wish I was more mechanically inclined as I would love to be able to do ALL the maintenance on my own and never depend on a dealership or other crooked shops again. Maybe I am getting too picky as I age, but damnit, I paid good $ for this rig, I absolutely love it, and I want it to last!!

Spare Parts, Nevin, SlvrSlug and 3 others like this.
  12. Oct 30, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    Burnt Taco

Burnt Taco "Like that's just your opinion, man".

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    Links for all parts please? I thought I read somewhere that the '22 required a different metal oil filter cap housing. Can anyone confirm or refute?
    Thanks

13. Oct 30, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    Definitely not required. But it is piece of mind, having a metal housing knowing your not gonna snap the plastic ears off when removing.

"Amazon.com: Genuine Toyota 15620-31060 Oil Filter Cap Assembly : Automotive" https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyo...t=&hvlocphy=9002711&hvtargid=pla-504004899047

14. Oct 30, 2022 at 6:30 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Pretty sure the one I just put on my 22 last week, was the same I put on my 17 taco and 18 runner.

15. Oct 30, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Kilo Papa

Kilo Papa New Member

Member:
    TX & NM
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Thanks for the link. Just did my first DIY oil change on the ‘21 and, like you, not thrilled with a plastic housing on an off-road truck. Will swap it out next oil change.

As for the Fumoto valves, Can someone enlighten me? Are they for the oil pan drain or for the filter canister drain or both? If both, Which to order for which

16. Oct 30, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    Oil pan drain plug.

https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-pickups-toyota-2022-4runner-4-0l-v6

Also a short video on installing the aluminum oil filter housing.
    https://youtu.be/9UtzAjag4hw

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  17. Oct 30, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    After an oil change at the dealership, the first thing I do is check the oil dipstick before leaving the lot. I can do the work myself but just don't like crawling under the vehicle at 72 years old. LOL Plus, rotating the tires without a lift is a pain in the rear. But I feel lucky in that it seems I have a good dealership. I owned a 10' F.J. Cruiser for 11 years and never experienced a service issue with this dealer. But if even one issue arises I'll go back to doing it myself.

4runGirl88 likes this.
  18. Oct 30, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    Metalsaber

Metalsaber New Member

Member:
    For those guys doing their on oil changes. What are you doing with your old oil and how much are you paying to dispose of it?

19. Oct 30, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    I take mine to AutoZone or like auto parts store, or sometimes my landfill/recycling center has a site for hazardous wastes. No charge on either technically.

DIRTRCR13 likes this.
  20. Oct 30, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    Kilo Papa

Kilo Papa New Member

Member:
    TX & NM
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I Return it to Advance Auto parts, where I bought it. No charge.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  21. Oct 30, 2022 at 10:38 AM
    DIRTRCR13

DIRTRCR13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Fuel Trophy 17x8.5, Nitto TG2's, Roof Rack delete, RC spacer lift and so much more to come...
    Same. I also have a local shop where I can dispose of coolant and other waste. They even take my scrap metal as it makes them money when they take it to be recycled. Did a radiator, 4 shocks, lower control arms and some other misc parts in my Tundra last year. I bet they got a free $20 from me...

Nevin[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Oct 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I take mine to Advance Auto, they take used fluids for recycling even if you didn't buy them there. I usually do a few changes then drop off 3 or 4 gallons at a time.

Depending on what state you live in, the place you bought it from may be required to take the used oil back. MA is like that, I actually used to buy my oil in MA even though I'm in RI for that reason, till I discovered Advance takes it.

23. Oct 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Exactly! Worst case, you panic when you see a leak, ask us about it, and we just tell you it’s water from the AC;).

I recommend finding a way to get comfortable when under the the car. I had a a bunch of carpet padding left over and I made a bunch of rectangles from it. I use those to kneel on and lay on whenever Im working on it. But whatever works! I find it makes me more patient to be comfortable when working on the car.

i have a big sealable container that was a throwaway from my buddies shop. Holds about 8 gallons or so. Once it’s full, I take it to my landfill/hazmat disposal place we still have in my county.

They keep moving the location of the oil collection place, so Im getting the sense the government is looking to save my taxpayer money and do away with this convenience.

Good to know autozone and the like take used oil, but I suspect they wouldn’t want 8 gallons at a time lol.

24. Oct 31, 2022 at 3:07 AM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    Just changed my oil today.

I noticed that no one has mentioned tire rotation. You should be rotating your tires when you change your oil. Especially on our 4wd 4Runners.

I changed my oil and rotated my tires. It took me 2 hours. I am old and out of shape and work on my concrete driveway with hand tools.

The 4Runner is the most PITA vehicle I have ever changed the oil on. Removing the factory steel skid plate is a major pain. It is heavy, and has to be completely removed, along with the plastic valance, when not on a lift. I decided to leave both off this time. I have an aftermarket skid plate in my cart on Amazon and will order it in a couple of days.

I replaced my OEM plastic filter housing with an OEM aluminum housing for a Camry. I run Mobil 1 5w20w and a Mobil 1 filter cartridge.

I simply don't trust anyone these days when it comes to anything, really. I have had multiple issues with over-tightened filters, drain plugs, stripped bolts, etc.

My local Toyota dealer charges $106 to change the oil and rotate the tires. Materials for me to do it cost $50. I know it was done right and quality components were used.

But, if my next oil change comes up while there is still snow on the ground, then I will take it to a local garage that will do it for $70 that has not screwed up oil changes in the past on other vehicles.

Singleminded and TrueTexas like this.
  25. Oct 31, 2022 at 4:15 AM
    KilluFirst

KilluFirst New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Venture MGM
    KO2, RCI Skid and filler plate, Caliraised ditch lights, seat jacker clones, aluminum oil filter housing and fumoto drain.
    Check out the CBI skid.. just remove the trap door with a hex (2 bolts). The drain plug area is cut out to where, installing a fumoto drain valve can be accessed and drain without issues

26. Oct 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I did my first DIY oil change on the 4Runner yesterday. I've done a lot of oil changes on a lot of vehicles over the years, but this one went sideways big time. So let my F-Ups be a cautionary tale!

Long story short, everything went perfectly until I broke the filter housing's plastic tabs on reinstall -- and didn't realize until engine start that I'd also cracked the thing. So a good three or four quarts of new Mobil 1 sprayed out all over the place. Soooo, I order a metal replacement housing and cleaned up the mess thinking, fine, I wasted some time and new oil but now I'll have the metal housing this thing should have been built with from the beginning.

Buuuuuuuuttt -- then I can't get the broken housing back off! I wrestled with it for hours over yesterday and today, trying different things and only chewing it up more. Obv I had overtightened it, but really I can't understand why it won't budge. Ugh. So I swallowed my already injured pride and got the truck towed to my local shop for them to figure it out. This will be the Most Expensive Oil Change Ever! And they'll just put a new plastic housing on it!

Lesson 1: be gentle with that plastic housing
    Lesson 2: use a proper, good fitting wrench -- mine had slop in it, which no doubt aggravated the problem
    Lesson 3: consider replacing the housing with a metal one on your next oil change
    Lesson 4: above all, don't be a dum-dum like me

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

27. Oct 31, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    You don't need to torque the housing down all that much which is why there's that stopper. Also make sure you're using the proper tool.

TrueTexas likes this.
  28. Oct 31, 2022 at 1:52 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    This is the filter wrench I bought from my dealership back when I started doing my own oil changes, after my two year free bolt stripping benefits.

It fits the filter housing perfectly and only contacts the lower area. I do not believe those tabs/ears on the housing are designed to sustain excessive torque. Seems like all of the posts on this forum that are reporting damaged filter bodies are using filter wrenches that are slotted to engage into those tabs.

Removing the housing does require a bit of torque until you’ve cleared the o-ring, then it gets easier. I take it very slow when removing.

62D0B0C0-DA10-4665-B7BA-11B3A264BB1C.jpg
    D7E96FB1-CDDB-4042-9592-8A90E24556B1.jpg
    3ACA95D8-EA7D-498E-B07A-ECB4EFEE843A.jpg

29. Oct 31, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I just got one of these. For the next time when I do it right. Designed like yours -- just grabs the fluted area, and deeply. Doesn't even touch those breakable tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTAGHU0?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    71Ry-LIJxNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Slopemaster[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Oct 31, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    Kilo Papa

Kilo Papa New Member

Member:
    TX & NM
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    D19D1E53-7B50-4847-AD27-78CB2957E0C1.jpg Thanks for the link.
    Interestingly, Amazon says it doesn’t match my ‘21 4Runner!!?
    Bought it anyway. :spending::notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top