1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil change question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Lifeman27, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:56 PM
    Lifeman27

Lifeman27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    White 2021 4runner TRD Off road prem
    I'm gonna start changing my oil at 5k intervals, not really trusting the 10k changes. Is it better to go to a quick lube place or continue going to dealer? Is it better to go conventional vs synthetic?

KilluFirst and Toy4X4 like this.
  2. Oct 23, 2022 at 8:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    0W-20 is only available in synthetic.

I do 5K intervals as well, due to my driving style as recommended in the manual.

I would use any place you trust. Or, if you have a place to do it yourself, it's not really hard. But, I understand the convenience of a Jiffy lube type of place.

3. Oct 23, 2022 at 8:07 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Best place to change your oil is at home. You will save a ton of money, you will have the satisfaction of a job done well.
    Who do you think changes your oil at the dealer? The youngest of the wrench monkeys. No senior would do that job.
    If you want stripped bolts and improperly torqued oil drain bolts, see our nearest dealer for assistance ! They will even mess up your skid plates bolts, that is fun to fix. UGADAGAUGADA OOOPPPPSSSS
    Lube places ? Hit and miss, they dont care about you, they dont make money off of you, they will tell you this and that are wrong and it will be a hassle. Wanna take a chance with that ? Good luck proving they used the wrong oil in your brand new 4Runner.
    Buy the filters at the dealer, they are the best and the cheapest.
    Buy the Kirkland 0w-20 at Costo on sale, it will be nasty cheap.
    Get the oil filter removal tool on Amazon for like $20 or less.
    Peace of mind, for everything else, there is (insert your credit card company here)

Why am I even doing this, I dont even have a 4Runner anymore.

4. Oct 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    If I had to choose between the dealership and a quick lube place, I would choose the dealership.

DUSTYDOGDAN, Mtbpsych and Toy4X4 like this.
  5. Oct 23, 2022 at 9:50 PM
    skistoy

skistoy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition
    BFG KO2
    Dealership

DUSTYDOGDAN likes this.
  6. Oct 24, 2022 at 7:53 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    Quick lube oil changes shops cut corners. Sometimes just drain oil without changing filter or mess-up your Skid plates.
    Just my 2C. Based on past experiences.

7. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I've heard of dealerships doing the same.

If I were going to use a dealership or Jiffy lube, I'd remove my own skid before going. :D

8. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    The dealer is about the same as a quick change place. I got chocolate rain after they changed my oil the last time.

[​IMG]

4runGirl88, doublewide and wrightme43 like this.
  9. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Yep, I have first hand experience, not once, not twice, so far 3 times so far. No matter me complaining to Toyota Corp. Toyota dealerships don't care. Last time at Autonation Toyota Arapahoe not only they tighten the skid bolt half way, when I ask "Did you change the oil?" service advisor "yes", but when I check the oil at dealership parking lot it was still old (brown). Might have thought I would not notice since I change oil every 5K miles. Then they changed the oil for real.

And yes, even though I do mods on other things still been lazy to do oil changes..:facepalm:

10. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:35 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    My dealership does an oil and filter change for about $70-$75. If OEM oil is $7/quart (not sure about this), then I'm only saving about $20 if I do it myself. So I go this route to avoid crawling around on my gravel drive. First vehicle I've ever done this on.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  11. Oct 24, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    Most especially having dealerships change seal transmission fluids.
    The tech will just suspend the SUV without changing the trans fluid.

Twice at two different Toyota dealerships. Watched through service bay glass windows.
    Managers refunded my money. They didn't sound surprised. Part of keeping service department afloat and profitable ... I guess

Once bitten, twice shy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  12. Oct 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM
    Cooper2019

Cooper2019 New Member

Member:
    I would do it myself, but don’t have a place to do it. I take it to a quick lube shop where I sit in the vehicle while it’s being done. They have a monitor showing the bottom side. At least I can see them going through the motions. I have RCI skid plates. I take the access door for the oil filter off before going in and tell them they do not need to drop the skid plate. Before I started doing this they would spend 15 mins trying to find the correct hex key and then jam whatever they could make fit when they couldn’t find the right size.

One time I spent sometime in the desert near Vegas and needed an oil change before heading on. Listening to the guy on the bottom side cuss when he dropped the skid plate and was covered in dirt was pretty entertaining. I told you it didn’t need to be dropped.

If I go to the local dealer I hear this… “Its in good shape except for all the mud.”

wrightme43 likes this.
  13. Oct 24, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Agree with what everybody has mentioned already. There is one thing we don't about when we go to the dealer or the lube place, are they really using a decent oil? Let's say they all do use synthetic and best product, but we know they buy things in bulk and who knows what goes in there, but ok, let's say everything is good. Fine, no issues.....but here is where it gets difficult for me, I have the RCI skid plates and if they are not careful, they will be a bit of spill here and there and it will show later in the corners of the skids or even in your drive way. I haven't had luck with either the dealer or the jiffy lube guys, so I decided to do it myself. The issue with doing myself is now I have to have more tools, get underneath with an iffy back, but I know I will be putting the best effort in doing it myself. I bought all the tools to do it properly and drain everything into a can so that I don't have any mess around. So now, that I got all the damn tools, oil, upgraded filter housing, etc...etc. I get a note from the dealer that says come and get an oil change for 20 bucks, offers expire end of November. I think they are watching me....somehow.

UPDATE: I got the fumoto valve as well and all the other crap we have to use for doing it going forward. I think if you can get on the ground and be active, do it at home if possible. I will post pictures this weekend.

Ironguy, bobcat931 and wrightme43 like this.
  14. Oct 24, 2022 at 5:29 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    A few years ago, I decided I was done changing my own oil. Had our Tahoes oil changed at the Kwik Kar and the next time I decided to do it myself. When I went under the car to start removing the drain plug, I was able to turn it by hand. It was even marked. So back to changing the oil myself.

I took my Silverado for its free oil change at the dealer. I then decided to switch to Mobile 1 about 1500 miles later. Oil was dark and old. They never actually changed it.

So with the 4runner, I do it myself. The free dealer oil changes have no value to me. Frankly, I can do it faster than driving to the dealership. $40 for Mobile 1 and a TRD filter. I don't trust them to not screw something up nor do I want the FNG with an impact wrench anywhere near my vehicle.

15. Oct 24, 2022 at 5:49 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    You can't tell how good oil is just by looking at it.

16. Oct 24, 2022 at 5:57 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    @Dillusion when it's thick and super dark, it definitely had more than 1500 miles on it. I changed the oil on that truck for the next 50k miles. At 5-7k each time, it never looked that bad.

wrightme43 and Slopemaster like this.
  17. Oct 24, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    Basset_Dad

Basset_Dad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey 4Runner TRD OFF Road Premium
    Given the choice between a quick lube OR the dealer........I'd pick the dealer.

18. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:40 AM
    wrightme43

wrightme43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 4x4
    Bone stock
    I highly recommend doing it yourself, if you are competent, and capable of doing it. I was a service advisor at what wasbthe world's largest midas a long time ago. I did not do the hiring or the firing of oil change techs. If they were competent they became mechanics very quickly. If they were incompetent they changed oil untill they screwed up something so bad they had to be fired. Dont let your vehicle be the one that dude gets fired over.

Steve

Ironguy, 4runGirl88, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  19. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:44 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I took my 22 runner to the dealer for its 5k free service. I told them I already changed the oil, as they don’t at 5k unless I paid, and already rotated tires. They told me I was wasting my time bringing it in, 5k is just a tire rotation. So I drove off, thinking they should have at least put it upon the lift and given it a once over, checked fluids and what not. I learned that the dealership service is just lazy and don’t really care about customer’s vehicles.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  20. Oct 25, 2022 at 4:56 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I would not go to quick lube places. My neighbor kid high as kite and druggie got hired at uncle Ed’s oil change a quick lube change. He could not put air in a bicycle tire let alone change oil on a car.

For those that had issues with dealers did you report to BBB? For my Hondas I have a trusted mechanic who has some “gray hair” and is mature. I am very grateful for this. He is not rushing and we have become friends. I hope to find the same for the 4Runner

21. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:21 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I doubt the dealer is using the genuine Toyota fluids, dealership techs have said on here they just use cheaper stuff dispensed from a bulk tank.

Toy4X4, canadian.bacon and wrightme43 like this.
  22. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:49 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I'll confirm that on my next visit, which is due. Thanks.

wrightme43 likes this.
  23. Oct 25, 2022 at 9:17 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Most likely this. The engine doesn't care either as long as you change it in regularly.

24. Oct 25, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Not saying they did change it.

You still can't tell if its good or not with your eye balls.

Unless you talking a blob of gel.

canadian.bacon likes this.
  25. Oct 25, 2022 at 10:40 AM
    LJGibbs

LJGibbs New Member

Member:
    Independence, MO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited 4Runner
    You can tell by smelling it. Old oil smells totally different than new or slightly used oil. Oil starts to smell worse as the miles accumulate.

2Toys and Toy4X4 like this.
  26. Oct 25, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Toy4X4 and canadian.bacon like this.
  27. Oct 25, 2022 at 11:44 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Nope. It’s the taste that’s the real giveaway. Like burnt toast.
    Yes!

28. Oct 25, 2022 at 2:08 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    @Dillusion yes, you are correct, you can't tell if it's good or bad. The point is that is was the covered oil change and it wasn't actually done when I took it to them to do it. That trucks oil meter averaged about 7.5k per oil change. I'm sure if I just trusted that they did it, it would have gotten to 15k miles. Now you can argue that it may have still been good at 15k but should that be the risk I assume when I take it to them to have it done on time? The engine won't fail or show damage until I'm way out of warranty. Guess that is what they want. Lots of profit in a motor replacement.

I'd rather not take it to the dealer. Do it myself, it's done right, I know what oil and filter were used and it's cheaper and more convenient to do it at home.

Toy4X4 and wrightme43 like this.
  29. Oct 27, 2022 at 7:43 PM
    morfdq

morfdq New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Premium
    TRD Wheels, exhaust and skid plate
    I literally just did a post about this. Took it to the dealership and they didn’t change the oil filter I guess bc dropping the skid plate is too much work. Lesson learned. I’m doing it myself

Toy4X4 likes this.
  30. Oct 28, 2022 at 2:35 AM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    I had an issue with my trusted, local Toyota dealership with my Venza. They called me up and said they had to replace the oil pan because wherever I took it last for an oil change, that place stripped the threading for the oil drain plug. I told them to check my records because I had been going to them for 3 yrs. Person on phone said “let me call you back.” Someone else called me back an hour later saying, they were mistaken, it’s due to age of vehicle, and said new oil pan installed would be $500+. I wanted to go down there and argue with them, but I had this vehicle on trade in for my 4Runner. I know their remark was BS and they f’d it up. A 2016 with less than 100K kms, fully dealer serviced. A week later I get the call my 4Runner is in. If I only waited a week more

Products Discussed in

To Top