1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MSRP Dealerships- List Them

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by T4Rrunning, May 25, 2021.

?

Has this thread helped you or someone you know with a purchase?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Oct 19, 2022 at 11:45 AM
    TexasMallCrawl

TexasMallCrawl New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    Have you tried some of the car sites like Auto Trader, TrueCar & Cars dot com?

I know it sounds remedial but those 3 are the ones I checked every day until I found both of mine.

2. Oct 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    jerbearski

jerbearski New Member

Member:
    @TexasMallCrawl Yes I have been checking. Will keep checking daily to see if anything nearby comes up at at dealer without a markup. In all likelihood just because of where I live in SoCal I will just have to wait it out on a waitlist and/or hope someone else's deal falls through.

TexasMallCrawl likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2022 at 9:00 AM
    DudeinAZ

DudeinAZ I am just a regular guy with nothing to lose.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lime Rush TRD Pro, 2022 Tacoma TRD pro manual Electric Lime
    Perfect as is.
    Carvana has some decent pricing on 2022 lime rush pros. I sold a car to them no issues haven't bought one. They also don't add on a bunch of the dealer garbage like nitro, desert protection package etc so in the long run may be cheaper. I think many bought the lime thinking it was the last year and now want the octane.

4. Oct 21, 2022 at 10:02 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I paid $2,000 above MSRP for a Lunar Rock Pro in 05/21 ($54,000 total cost). Shortly thereafter they were commanding $10,000 above MSRP. Some really gripe about people paying above MSRP, but until the supply and demand rebalances it will continue. An extra $2K or $3K is not that significant for those that can afford a +$50,000 vehicle and intend to keep it for ten years or more.

5. Oct 21, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    DudeinAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Perfect as is.
    Well said, here in Arizona pros always sold over msrp and before anyone say avondale and big two sell msrp they low ball the trade ins so it balances out or in many cases is worse than non msrp dealers. If no trade then Avondale is best big two tries adding the useless packages and both have zero inventory so you’ll wait and wait. But yeah if I’m dropping 57k a few k more doesn’t matter especially when I make it up trading a pro for pro.

YetiMtnBkr[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 7, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    nikeadidas11

nikeadidas11 New Member

Member:
    Seems like some of the allocations have slowed down for sure. I assume middle of November things will pick back up?

7. Nov 7, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    Lockdown

Lockdown New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
    I've worked in manufacturing for 10 years.

November and December are usually slow months for manufacturing. The machine wi start pumping out more u it's Q1

8. Nov 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    nordwulf

nordwulf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    NW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner ORP
    I was shopping for a TRD ORP or Limited last week and checked with Camelback in Phoenix. They were mentioned in this thread before but they are really the worst dealer I interacted with so far.

And they made it sound like they were doing me a favor.. what a bunch of crooks.

upload_2022-11-21_15-7-41.jpg

9. Nov 21, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    BAAM_4runner

BAAM_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rachel
    Vehicle:
    22 4rnr pro Lime Rush
    I sent someone in one of my fb groups the number for the MSRP dealership in my area (Roanoke, VA). Don't go there, Haley Toyota of Roanoke trying to get a 4runner TRD Pro, they told him it was a 3 year wait list lol I must've been #1 on their wait list for my pro because it took 9 months to get it in. That just sounds so crazy to me.

10. Nov 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    BAAM_4runner

BAAM_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rachel
    Vehicle:
    22 4rnr pro Lime Rush
    It's the same in my area. I waited 9 months for mine. They told someone in my fb group that it would be 3 years before they could get one. I'm glad I purchased mine when I did.

11. Nov 21, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    BAAM_4runner

BAAM_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rachel
    Vehicle:
    22 4rnr pro Lime Rush

How long did you wait? Just out of curiosity

12. Nov 21, 2022 at 12:29 PM
    DudeinAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Perfect as is.
    I live in Phoenix have dealt with them all. Only one that I would recommend are Avondale sell at msrp but will low ball the trade and Toyota Surprise may charge over msrp on certain vehicles but give you much better trade in. I bought two 22 pros tacoma and 4runner paid 4K over msrp on each but got 7k more on trade for each so actually came in 3k better plus tax savings at surprise. Both are easy to deal with in and out in an hour. Bell, Larry Miller, and camelback still think it’s 1980s and 90s during the van tyl ownership years. Once in a while I pop in there if I need a laugh. Earnhardt isn’t much better I was looking at a 2023 type r at their sister Honda dealer and they offer me 42k on trade when Chapman offered to buy it out right for 53k. So stay away from the bull or you’ll get the horns.

13. Nov 21, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I have to disagree, paying over MSRP just encourages dealerships to charge over MSRP. Pre covid, you could get under MSRP on pretty much everything, folks strived for invoice pricing, and dealerships would still make money at invoice pricing, now all of a sudden they need thousands over MSRP to make money. No they don't, they are screwing the consumers and some don't even care if they use lube.

And 2 grand is almost 5% increase, to you that might be chump change, but to others who have been wise with their money so they can get a good vehicle, it could make the difference. It's like walking to McD and them saying we have been experiencing a shortage of big macs, so if you want one, please pay an extra 5 to 10 percent. Most would say F off. I worked with 3 dealerships to get my runner, I really liked the one salesperson, but when I found out they charged over MSRP, I got my deposit back and found a dealership that charged me MSRP. Yes, they screwed me a grand on my trade, but it wasn't the extra 2 to 5 grand dealerships were asking.

14. Nov 21, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars were listed on the local dealership website for upwards of $100,000 above MSRP about a year ago. Now they just say "Call for price."

Supply and demand. Simple economics.

15. Nov 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    nordwulf

nordwulf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    NW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner ORP
    Toyota dealer in Fort Myers doesn't have a specific market adjustment but lots of extra charges and add-ons. After complaining, they did me a favor and dropped the 'Dent Protection', whatever that is.

Not sure if all AutoNation dealers are the same but this one sure is up there with the best of the dishonest dealers on the wall of shame.

Yeah.. whatever dude..

upload_2022-11-21_16-51-16.jpg

upload_2022-11-21_16-51-29.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  16. Nov 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    What the hell is 'dent protection'? Flo from Progressive running alongside the 4R snatching pebbles out of the air before they can hit your vehicle?

Dealer Services Fee needs a new name - Dealer Screwvices Fee

Spare Parts likes this.
  17. Nov 21, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I also received $14,000 on a trade-in that I was expecting / hoping $10,000 for. As stated previously - simple supply and demand at the time. Just like the current housing market now compared to a year ago. Same thing is happening in the auto industry now - showing increased inventories and used car prices are dropping. The rapid rise in interest rates is impacting the auto and real estate industries.

I would not pay $2,000 above MSRP for a new 4R now and conversely I also would not have received $14,000 for my trade-in now! It's all relative to the timing at the time. Randomly finding a new Lunar Rock Pro 4Runner in May of 2021 at MSRP would be a rare find. I did not order this vehicle and they easily could have sold it for more within 24 hours. I happened to be the first to inquire on the day it arrived after someone else canceled. My self imposed threshold at the time was $3,000 above MSRP. I also have an advantage in that I am self employed and therefore I can write off the cost of the vehicle for tax purposes.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Nov 21, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    100 percent agree, Simple economics. We control the demand end. If we keep paying market adjustments, they keep charging them.

DudeinAZ likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:04 PM
    waldo98

waldo98 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    SoCalli
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Nautical Blue Metallic
    I just wanted to add my recent experience with Toyota of Riverside, CA.

I was browsing through Toyota's inventory for a 2023 4Runner Off-Road Premium in Lunar Rock or Nautical Blue Metallic and I noticed that Toyota of Riverside was expecting an ORP in Lunar Rock with the options I wanted. I communicated over e-mail/texts one of the internet sales reps and they informed me that they don't reserve any vehicles and it's first come, first server. I straight up asked if there was any dealership markup or market adjustments on the vehicle and was informed that there's a markup of $2,995 but their prices are negotiable with the manager. I live and work within 15 miles of the dealership and every person that I spoke to was fairly helpful, in addition to feeling that I can haggle down their markup.

Fast forward to the day the vehicle arrives at the dealership, the same salesperson contacts me to let me know that it's on-site. I tell them that I need a a few hours to work around my schedule, get the necessary paperwork to process a potential transaction and head over there during the afternoon traffic rush. While I was making my way over there, I was told to work with another salesperson on arrival and I get there within two hours of the call. I meet the designated salesperson, chat while we walk inside and mentions that the ORP Lunar Rock 4Runner is in super high demand and they got a bunch of calls about it today. We finally sit down and the salesman states that there's a 10k markup on the vehicle now. I rebuttal immediately that I was informed by previous salesperson that markup was $2,995, it was negotiable and it was in writing via e-mail/text messages. I also mentioned that I was looking more towards MSRP for the vehicle. The manager shows up and tells me that he cannot sell the 4Runner ORP Lunar Rock for that low and offers to lower their markup to 6k since he's got employees to pay and there are others who are willing to pay. At that point, I stated that I'm not paying the markup and left the dealership.

Doglover2003, Tradbow and Spare Parts like this.
  20. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:11 PM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    Welcome to the forum Walter. Good on you for not allowing that dealer to rip you off.

waldo98 likes this.
  21. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    Nwsd

Nwsd New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD OR
    I would have left to. I get supply and demand but some of these dealerships are unprofessional. They're trying to squeeze every dollar they can on a whim. My friend just bought a new Silverado a couple of weeks ago. Just walked into the dealer, no precall, early evening before they close. They said there was a 6k markup for the truck but they would get rid of it because it was late in the day and they haven't sold one that day. There's thoughtful pricing to demand and then there's plain greed.

waldo98 likes this.
  22. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:49 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    @waldo98 Good job leaving and not giving in on their ridiculous antics. The sad part is, someone probably paid the $6k markup the next day because it felt like a good deal to them. Have you bought or had luck with any other dealers?

waldo98 likes this.
  23. Feb 24, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    waldo98

waldo98 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    SoCalli
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Nautical Blue Metallic
    I actually think they sold the Lunar Rock ORP that night since it wasn't listed on their website the next day.

24. May 4, 2023 at 9:34 AM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    I definitely used this table as a tool to help me research what I was looking for but it is not a definitive list of all inventory as stated in the original TacomaWorld thread. The 4Runner I have my deposit on was never on this list and I happened across it by chance when looking at my local dealer website. Mine did appear in the Toyota inventory search tool (https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/model/4runner/) which I thought this list pulled from so I dunno.

I also compared the Toyota tool to the dealer sites as the Toyota tool will show which vehicles have deposits(Sale Pending) where the dealer site does not as long as the vehicle is listed in both places.

Some info others might find useful:
    +Green: added since yesterday
    -Red: removed since yesterday(probably sold)
    *White: no change since yesterday

First 2 digits of dealer ID denotes the state depending on if its 4 or 5 digits long. Sort by the ID and you get the gist of it.
    42=CA (4250)
    42=TX (42408)

25. May 6, 2023 at 8:31 AM
    Nine9Sixer

Nine9Sixer New Member

Member:
    Having spent the last 8 weeks trying to buy a TRD Pro primarily in South Florida as well as the Northeast, I must say the Toyota dealership experience has been horrendous. The greedy gouging, arrogance, and sliminess is still hard to wash off. I've bought many cars over the years, from expensive to downright cheap, and I've never left multiple dealers so disgusted with the games and lies! Serious crooks. I've seen plenty of markups over the years (last year saw a $100K markup on a 1 yo G Wagon) but Toyota dealers add another layer of slime on the top. Typical TRDP markup was $10K and they had little appetite to negotiate down even if the car had been sitting for a while. And those who said they didn't markup had about $4-5K BS options as de facto markups anyway. One dealer literally had premiums on every car on their lot except for Corollas, Camrys, etc, while a GR Corolla and GR86 both were $70K! Ended up buying a couple hours away with minimum markup from a dealer who ended up being one of the better dealer experiences I've ever had. But in the end, it'd be very hard to recommend Toyota to anyone I liked unless the dealer was outside a major metro area.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  26. May 6, 2023 at 8:39 AM
    Nine9Sixer

Nine9Sixer New Member

Member:
    For what it's worth, towards the end of my search after having called about 20 dealers, I got the impression the market was softening a bit and dealers were more willing to negotiate the premiums down, esp the dealers farther out from large metro areas. Just FyI.

27. May 6, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I have a co worker looking at ORPs and most dealers are at or slightly below MSRP. Maybe different for Pros

28. May 6, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    Nine9Sixer

Nine9Sixer New Member

Member:
    That's great re ORPs. During one negotiation, the manager kept on asking me if I wanted an ORP instead of a TRDP. Apparently they were more flexible.

29. May 8, 2023 at 12:43 PM
    Idayota

Idayota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 OR - Lunar Rock
    Suspension: Dobinsons IMS Struts + Springs. 2.5" front and 2.0" rear Tires: 255/80/17 Toyo Open Country A/T3 E Load
    Edmark Toyota in Nampa, ID has recently been marking down their SR5s, OR, ORPs and TRD Sports by around $3,000 after they sit for just a few days (i.e. weren't claimed ahead of time). I showed another local dealership this and was able to get $1,500 off MSRP for an Off-road in a color we wanted even though it hadn't arrived yet.

30. May 8, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    And yet they still continue to put a markup on the Pro trim.

Products Discussed in

To Top