1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: 4th Gen V6 Radiator Replacement/Tranny Cooler Install

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by wnelax04sr5, Sep 30, 2014.

1. May 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    Well, I forgot to take pics but I got the OEM tranny cooler mounted. Unfortunately, it is not plug and play. There are three mounting points on it and only one of them remotely line up with one on the car. The one with the rubber bushing that attaches to the center bar of the radiator support lines up perfectly. For the others I had to make brackets. There were two bolt holes nearby so all I had to do was cut straight brackets and put holes in them. I found an old socket rail and cut it down and drilled it. The cooler is now nice and secure and not touching anything it shouldn't. Now I'm going to exchange the fluid and replace the hoses at the radiator and plumb in the cooler. I won't be bypassing the radiator. I'll go tranny to rad, rad to cooler, cooler to tranny. Hopefully it'll help keep the tranny a little cooler when I'm in the mountains and whenever I tow something.

2. May 10, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the update, I was wondering if the V8 cooolers were plug & play to the V6. Do the stock V6 cooler lines connect to the cooler without any modifications? That would be the big concern for me since mounting brackets are easy to make. Try & get some pics when its all finished as I'm sure others would like to do this. An aux trans cooler will definitely help keep fluid temps under control when towing.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  3. May 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    importman

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    Hey Yoda, The lines on the V6 won't hook up directly, but only because they're too short. I bought 10 ft of 3/8 hose and I plan to change out my fluid and I'm gonna replace the hoses from where they connect near the bottom of the radiator and run all new hoses. It'll go into and out of the radiator and the through the cooler and back to the tranny. I'll do my best to get some pics tomorrow when I complete this.

Toy Yoda[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 14, 2021 at 2:45 AM
    importman

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Toy Yoda likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top