1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: 4th Gen V6 Radiator Replacement/Tranny Cooler Install

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by wnelax04sr5, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sep 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    This is a how to replace the stock radiator in a 4th gen (2004 specifically) 4runner, V6, and also how to add an external transmission cooler.

Parts List
    Radiator, I used this;
    Spectra Premium OEM complete radiator- $134.27 as of 9/30/14
    $81 Spectra Premium CU2580 Complete Radiatorhttp://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...1-2282-116-1-0&sr=1-8&ymm=2004:toyota:4runner

Transmission Cooler;
    Hayden Automotive 512 High Performance Transmission Cooler- $38.63 as of 9/30/14
    $38 Hayden Automotive 512 High Performance Transmission Coolerhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    NOTE: The supplied hose is not enough, I purchased the Hayden hose, but any similar hose will work
    $9 Hayden Automotive 106 Transmission Oil Cooler Hosehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE6H3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The process is relatively simple and intuitive, only tools needed are basic metric wrenches, largest i believe is 17mm, pliers for hose clamps, and buckets/catch pans for the fluids

1. I started by popping the hood, removing the plastic trim from on top of the radiator/ac condenser, its plastic rivets that are very easy to remove
    2. To make it easier to access, i took my from bumper off. this isn't necessary by any means, but made the job FAR easier.
    IMG_20140713_110236_502.jpg
    3. Next, i got underneath the drivers side, at the bottom of the radiator, and put the catch pan underneath and drained the fluid out of the radiator. be patient, it takes some time to all come out
    4. while its draining, you can take off the overflow tank. 3 bolts secure it, and the fluid can stay in it, just keep it upright. the hose that connects it to the radiator will leak fluid out, plug it with a rag and it'll be fine.
    5. take off the radiator cap and put it somewhere you'll remember, you will need it for the new radiator.
    6. on the drivers side of the radiator, for v6 only, are the two transmission lines that run to the radiator for cooling, they can be removed now, it takes some effort as they are on tight.
    Note; if you're debating adding an external tranny cooler, keep this in mind. the transmission fluid temperature before it enters the radiator is actually LESS than the coolant temperature, so by cycling tranny fluid through the side of the radiator, it is actually being partially heated when it is sent back to the transmission
    7. keep the tranny lines upright, it will prevent any fluid loss.
    8. once the radiator is fully drained and the overflow tank and tranny lines are disconnected, you can unbolt it from the front frame. there are 4 bolts with nuts, washers, and rubber washers, if you want to do this with any efficiency, an extra set of hands helps.
    9. if you haven't already, unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator. there are two bolts on the top, and it sits in channels on the bottom. it can't be taken out until the radiator is removed though, so rest it on the fan.
    10. after some wiggling free, the radiator should lift right out. there will still be fluid in it, so have a catch pan or bucket ready, tilt it on its side, and then drain the rest out. you should end up with this;
    IMG_20140713_121509_282.jpg
    note; my radiator leaked from the drivers side bottom, which is apparently common for 4th gen v6's
    11. after removing the fan shroud, my engine bay looked like this
    IMG_20140713_121529_725.jpg
    12. the next step to do is install the tranny cooler, theres lots of room and that makes it easy.
    13. i first mounted the cooler to the condenser, its 4 zip tie like mounts, very easy to use.
    14. i then measured my hose, attached it to the supply and return tranny lines, and made sure my supply line was going to the top of the cooler.
    15. secure everything with the supplied hose clamps, then secure the rest of the hose with zip ties so they aren't moving around.
    16. end product mounted
    IMG_20140713_125541_863.jpg
    17. now you can put in the new radiator, but make sure you put the fan shroud back in first, or you'll have to remove the radiator again. this is how mine was shipped and what it looked like
    IMG_20140713_121514_372.jpg
    18. reattach the 4 bolts that hold the radiator in, and i left the plastic caps that covered the holes for stock tranny lines on to keep crap out, 7k later and they haven't melted or moved, so its fine to do.
    19.put the fan shroud back on, and reattach all the coolant hoses, and the overflow tank.
    20. make sure the plug is in the radiator, then open the cap up and fill the radiator first.
    21. if there is any room in the overflow tank, fill it, that way if the radiator isn't full it will pull from the overflow and you won't run it dry.
    22. add transmission fluid before starting, then once the motor is running. monitor the level for a couple days to make sure it is correct. overfilling/underfilling are both bad
    23. put the plastic trim cover back on the top of the radiator and condenser, monitor the levels, and you're done!

Bob likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    nuclearn8

nuclearn8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    The 2nd State
    Vehicle:
    07 Limited
    2007 Awaiting Trade-In
    This may help others on this topic (at least who choose the B&M products)

Attached Files:

Bob likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2016 at 3:15 PM
    Lfazzio

Lfazzio New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner limited
    Hey guys,

I have a 99 4rnr limited with 280k miles. Im about to install a new radiator, thermostat and came across this post. Is it advised to install a trans cooler since im already in thus far? I dont offroad or tow but trying to hit 500k miles and want to preserve neway possible...

Also, any tips to completely flush and clean engine before i run a new radiator?

4. Feb 14, 2016 at 4:23 PM
    wnelax04sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    if i had it all torn apart, id definitely think about it, it isn't hard and is good preventative maintenance.

Lfazzio likes this.
  5. Feb 14, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    Lfazzio

Lfazzio New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner limited
    Makes sense!
    Any tips for thorough engine flush?

After all this is sorted, my next mod will be blacking the rims and painting everything black. Plastidip?

6. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    wnelax04sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    only way to truly flush it would be to pull the water pump, thermostat, etc. i think you'd be fine letting gravity drain out the radiator and by emptying the hoses and much as possible. plastidip is your best choice for easy blacking out for sure

7. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM
    Lfazzio

Lfazzio New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner limited
    Just watched a vid on pulling the water pump and what a PITA. My only concern is I dont want to push anything from the engine into my brand new rad I will be installing along with the external trans cooler.

8. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    wnelax04sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    i understand the concern, I'm not sure how big an issue it will be. you could always look into a coolant filtration kit

9. Feb 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    Lfazzio

Lfazzio New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner limited
    Awsome will do.

Also, did you happen to install an inline filter on your ext trans cooler?

10. Feb 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    wnelax04sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    i did not, theres a filter inside the trans

11. Feb 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM
    Lfazzio

Lfazzio New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4runner limited
    Just finished my new radiator and thermostat install. Just a quick tip for anyone, I used locking pliers to stop my tranny lines from leaking too much and unfortunately it was too tight and now I have a huge puddle of tranny fluid on my driveway. just fyi. other than that, pretty straight forward install. After 280k miles, things are a little more difficult and fragile but other than that, smooth sailing :D

Products Discussed in

To Top