1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much is everyone paying for Toyota Extra Care Platinum?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by mtnslyr, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Apr 15, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    i understand some people are okay paying for piece of mind, but you rarely come out winning. now, if i were purchasing an Alpha Romeo Quadrifoglio, I'd probably buy one. or more realistically, just lease one and roll it over after 3 years.

Toy4X4 and Trail Runnah like this.
  2. Apr 15, 2022 at 5:57 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 premium 4x4 (sold) 2022 ram classic tradesman 5.7L 4x4 (current)
    Someone like me most certainly likes the peace of mind, as said it’s the electronics I don’t trust, engine and transmission and such I see as flawless. I wonder why Toyota gives a better warranty on their ‘certified used’ vehicles vs new.

3. Apr 15, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    don't forget, even with a CPO warranty, the mileage starts accumulating when the vehicle is originally registered. so a 100k mile warranty doesn't start when you buy it used, its already started (if the car had 50k miles when bought used, its only extending the warranty up to 100k). its basically like getting a new car warranty on a used car.

4. Apr 15, 2022 at 6:23 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That would make more sense on Toyota’s side then, figured it sounded to good to be true.

5. Apr 15, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I don't know exactly what the new ones control. I think it would definitely be more of an issue to replace if it controlled HVAC settings and drive modes. For a while. I was shopping 100 series Land Cruisers and GX470s, and the ones without nav were much more desirable for those issues.

I like having my Bluetooth features and backup cam, but I'm still kind of anti-touch screen in vehicles. I don't think any HVAC anything should be controlled through that screen, because like you said if it fails it's a huge fix. I also still like the tactile feel of knobs and buttons. That is one thing that I like about my 4Runner, are the chunky buttons and switches.

I just feel like Toyota is a safe bet technology-wise, and I'm not even that big of a fan.

My mom has a 2010 Cadillac XRS, she was so excited to get that because they had been out a few years and that was kind of her dream car at the time. What a nightmare that thing is, it seems like every time it goes in for an oil change they find something else wrong with it, and I think it has the same if not less miles than my 4Runner. One of the things that failed was that head unit, which would have been hugely expensive, however, they did purchase the extended warranty. My dad squawked loud enough, including calls to Cadillac corporate, and the dealer finally covered replacement. My aunt had a 2009 GMC Acadia which was equally a pain in the ass. She got rid of that thing at 100k and it had already had thousands and thousands of dollars worth of repairs.

Oddly enough, I still kind of like GM vehicles. I've had a few GM vehicles from the '80s '90s and early 00s, and they've all been pretty reliable. It was just that time from the mid-00s to the mid teens that they were just garbage.

6. Apr 15, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m picky like that to if that’s what you want to call it, I am very happy the 4 runners climate controls are not on the touch screen, they strive to not want distracted driving these days and I think searching through the touch screens in some vehicles just to lower the heat is worse than being on the cell phone by far. I didn’t even want dual climate control in my 4 runner which is what really took me away from the limited. 1. Being my ocd which I would want both side the same temperature all the time and 2. Just more actuators or problems to arise. Love the bulky knobs and buttons just like you. I’m just now getting used to the key fob and push to start. When I get in my 01 Tahoe now I toss the keys in the cup holder forgetting that oh, I need to put something in the ignition now. Took a while to get used to that, and the different shifter location. You are right I think after 2002 is when gm started getting cheaper and going down hill. 00-06 to me is the last years of the tried and true tahoes / Silverado’s. I personally like the 00-02 years. Gm got so cheap to not even include floor and glove box lamps after 2002 in the trucks haha...I didn’t mess around to much with the settings yet, but I think stupid stuff like maintenance reminders, vehicle light settings and things like that are on the radio, or now as they call it infotainment systems.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    To clarify, I meant its like getting a new car powertrain warranty on a used car. depending upon the mileage/age when purchased, you either get the remainder of the 3ry/36k B2B warranty, or 1 full year of B2B.

8. Apr 16, 2022 at 3:35 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    It performed fine, it was the year they changed..2014. We had owned a new Silverado every three years prior to this (a total of 7) we only paid for an extended warranty once, and never used it. Seeing how we got rid of them every 3 yrs, it was a poor decision to buy a 'big' warranty, but the sales person talked me into it, they just did their job.... to their advantage. It's all water under the bridge... so here we are!

Trail Runnah likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2022 at 4:44 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wish they kept them like the 2015-2019 style, I don’t like what they did to them now...they look kinda weird to me. I was always a Chevy guy until they got stupid expensive, less reliable, and more ugly. I love how they make the new tundra more square / boxy.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 16, 2022 at 5:01 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    I hear ya! I was at our Chevy dealership for 38 yrs., seen lots of changes in that time. There were models I would like and some not so much. The new Tundra is nice, the only thing I'm not so sure of is the 'twin turbo' setup they use, it's too new for me to get excited about, that is 'til they get some bugs worked out. A Tundra may or may not be in our future, right now we're loving the 4Runner!

11. Apr 16, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That’s exactly how I feel at the moment, I’m giving the 4 runner a try but I love my bigger vehicles. If I went pick up I would probably go tundra, but as you said...gonna give that new engine and turbo set up some time. I test drove a demo with 30 miles on it and the amount of room in the thing was pretty nice. Just didn’t like the tv screen for the ‘infotainment’ system. I expected a faster vehicle for the power numbers, but it scooted nicely for not being broken in. I most certainly gave that thing the test drive from hell.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 18, 2022 at 7:21 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    I think that’s true for all brands. Not just Toyota.

Products Discussed in

To Top