1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

400 dollars to upgrade stock sound, well maybe 600

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Spare Parts, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:03 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts [OP] New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    2022 ORP and I got 400 to 500 to upgrade the audio sound. Just looking for better overall sound. I’m thinking 400 bucks or should get better speakers all around. Any suggestions on what to get. I’m looking for as much plug and play as possible, so crutchfield is my usual source.

I look forward to see what folks might think.

Important things for 4runner install
    -not adding an amplifier, look for speakers with a high efficiency rating
    -need to pay attention to the hatch speakers and what effect they have on the setup. Wired in series, changing the resistance seen at the head unit.

Some Resources that might be worth using:
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/front-component-speaker-crossover-needed.24802/
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/2021-sr5-audio-install-build-thread-for-the-average-person.25788/
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/5th-gen-full-audio-install-log.9897/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  2. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    A little thought from a music lover, I don't think its worth not upgrading speakers without adding a sub woofer.

When I check with OEM Audio plus they quoted me $400 flat rate for my non JBL TRD ORP to install their complete kit (speakers, amp, sub, etc). Just a thought..:):)

ChessGuy and 5six like this.
  3. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:51 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Don’t want to deal with a sub or amp, I know I’m not getting anything earth shattering for 400 bucks, but o know just changing out the tweeters has made a noticeable difference in sound quality in other vehicles. Factory speakers tend to be junk, so I figure upgrading them will be worth it, made a noticable difference in our Rav4.

kmeeg likes this.
  4. Mar 19, 2023 at 6:36 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  5. Mar 19, 2023 at 9:08 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    When I went to an audio shop here in CO asking just to swap the speakers they recommended these 2 as direct swap with no additional items needed for mounting.
    Front- Focal IS690 TY (not the universal one you post)
    Rear - Focal IC165 TOY (same as above, if you get Toy ones it will include correct mounting)

But they said additionally then need to make some changes to rear hatch speakers to disconnect them as rear door and hatch speakers are in series of 2ohms making 4ohms at the headunit. (If I'm not mistaken what they said).
    So if you just install 4ohm on rear door not discount hatch speakers you may not get the the best quality since rear hatch speakers still working and when you just unplug reat hatch speakers the new ones on rear door will not work. I haven't removed the panels, so no idea how to get the 2 wires needed just to run rear door speakers.

Spare Parts[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 19, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Thanks for the reminder about the hatch confusing things a little. I’m going to edit the first post with some things to remember or do for the install.

Both those listed came from a respectable member on TW, and I almost ordered the focal s when I got my runner, decided to wait till I could feel better about spending the money.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 19, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
  8. Mar 19, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    If you are not adding an amplifier, look for speakers with a high efficiency rating (usually listed as SPL 1W/1M or something similar). That will help you get the most out of the stock head unit.

5six and Spare Parts[OP] like this.
  9. Mar 21, 2023 at 12:01 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    When upgrading the front woofers and tweeters, do you need to remove stock crossovers to install aftermarket or do you just drop in the aftermarket stuff?

10. Mar 21, 2023 at 3:03 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I'm pretty sure I bypassed the OEM crossover, and used whatever the JL's came with.

Thacrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 21, 2023 at 3:46 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Where did you install the crossovers? Did it require extra wiring or you still able to use factory wiring? I’ve never used a crossover before.

12. Mar 21, 2023 at 6:06 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think all the wiring comes to the dash speaker, so I think I just spliced everything in at the dash. I think there are some tutorials online about wiring for the dash speakers. Hopefully some of them have a schematic showing which wires go where.

13. Mar 21, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    ya I haven't searched for that yet, but I think I am going to be wiring in crossovers for better sound. I did NOT do this when I replaced speakers in the Rav, so I figure this will up the sound.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 21, 2023 at 7:40 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    So I will have to run more wires to use a crossover? I was hoping not to have to do this, not saying I won't or can't just hoping for plug and play.
    Thanks for the info.

15. Mar 21, 2023 at 7:50 AM
    kcdude

kcdude New Member

Member:
    Using a crossover requires more wires….you are taking a single full range signal and splitting it to at least two separate leads for the tweeter and mid. Some crossovers are three way…depends on the speaker configuration.

The OEM wiring in the front is a full range signal that is split between the two OEM speakers and they use a capacitor on the tweeter to block lower frequencies. In essence, same concept as a crossover.

By adding a component speaker set and running new wires, you get to use the speaker manufacturer’s recommended crossover settings…and it is a super easy install.

16. Mar 21, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Thanks, I am going to look into it, I want to get the best I can without amp or new head unit.
    I also just found this thread, which I will post in the first post here for more reference.
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/front-component-speaker-crossover-needed.24802/

17. Mar 21, 2023 at 8:58 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You don't have to run more wires. You just need to figure out which wires in the dash are coming from the deck, and which ones go to the door speaker.

18. Mar 21, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I know its easier to "delete" the hatch, but wouldn't it sound better keeping those 2 speakers?

19. Mar 21, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Total noob here. Do only the front have cross over and are component?

And then the rears are coaxial?

20. Mar 21, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I think-

the idea is to isolate the bass to the doors and then the voice and what not to the tweeters. (Using component speakers for front)
    Then rear fill the sound.

Thacrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Mar 21, 2023 at 11:10 AM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    I did a full upgrade of my entire system, but no sub since its not necessary with the right component choices and i need the space for Overlanding. Ideally you should upgrade the head unit, amp and speakers because a system is only as good as its weakest component. But just going with the best efficient speakers will do wonders.

I would put all the $$ in front speakers as separate components that are efficient and wide range. I personally have Alpine X sires speakers up front and R series for the rest.

Spare Parts[OP] and Thacrow like this.
  22. Mar 21, 2023 at 2:34 PM
    Spare Parts

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I agree new head unit would make a big difference, but money and something i'm not looking to do, maybe years down the road. Ill look into those Alpines.

Edit:
    The Alpine X series has a sensitivity of 89 dB, lower than some of the mid 90s on others, and to get the most out of factory head unit and no amp, I need higher sensitivity. Also discontinued at Crutchfield.

23. Mar 21, 2023 at 3:43 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    If I recall correctly, the dash speakers have wires coming from the deck and output wires going to the doors. You can just put your crossover under the dash speaker unless you get some huge bulky crossovers.

I think the ones I have just came with a high pass filter for the tweeters. So, I just spliced the wires to the door straight through and pigtailed off the main leads to feed the tweeter. I don't think it's really necessary to pull extra wire unless you're doing a high fidelity install.

Thacrow and Spare Parts[OP] like this.
  24. Mar 21, 2023 at 3:48 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I can't believe I am going to say this after all the crap I have done to my 4R, but the stock sound is actually fine for me.

25. Mar 29, 2023 at 11:07 AM
    LadeDruck

LadeDruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Pearl Effect White Ltd.
    My 2 cents (for all who didn’t ask):

while I can’t speak to the non-jbl, the upgraded package comes with a 6x9 with some good throw for a factory speaker. Also note they didn’t drop in any old speaker, and chose a proper woofer without coaxial provision. I believe this speaker to be audibly acceptable, with improvement coming from signal improvement.

for the tweeter, audiofrogs GS25 is the bees knees. Very clean full range, opting to forego a tweeter (and for good reason, being off axis the reflections from a dedicated tweeter would cause a terrible boost at the upper frequencies).

Everyone is going to hate on this statement, but getting control of time alignment and having proper eq will get you much further (without ever touching power/speaker upgrades). I can take 200 watts and a large cone subwoofer, put it in an IB configuration, and overpower (as well as out “clean”) the biggest and baddest SPL build (within reason).

implementation is everything, a chainsaw is useless in the hands of the unskilled

Products Discussed in

To Top