1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front component speaker crossover needed?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by crashnburn, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Feb 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM
    crashnburn

crashnburn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kyx nerfbars, TRD roof rack.
    I swapped all my speakers with memphis audio speakers. I just swapped the speakers without using the crossovers just adapter wires to make it easier like plug and play. Should I try to add filters to to separate the frequencies? I wasn't sure how complicated it would be to wire them or the memphis crossover box in using the oem wiring since it is parallel. Thanks.

2. Feb 26, 2022 at 4:26 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    You can’t send full range to HF speakers or they will eventually fail from exceeding mechanical limits if not from heat build up from the extra power of reproducing lower frequencies than it was designed.

3. Feb 26, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    crashnburn

Member:
    Ok. So if I wanted to add high-pass filters, how would I connect them using the speaker harness like RED WOLF Replacement for 2012-2019 Toyota. I read the signal goes to the tweeter first then to the woofer. I am concerned that setting it wrong would filter out the bass preventing it reaching the woofer. My guess is to splice a wire from the adapter adding the filter before the tweeter to not interfere with the signal going to the woofer. Do I need to add a low pass filter to the 6x9 woofer also? Thanks https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RMZ4CR6?_encoding=UTF8

4. Feb 27, 2022 at 4:48 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    The signal parallels at the shrink wrap and signal for the woofer is sent back out through two of the pins on the connector to the woofer. If you install the filter between the shrink wrap and the speaker push on connector, it won’t affect signal to the woofer.

2237BB1F-C5AE-4579-95B6-D52A9EC23261.jpg

Last one I did, I just put it on the tweeter.

B675412B-4097-4E40-96E5-39AE0894A550.jpg

If you have a low pass filter for the woofer, I would install it at the woofer on the speaker harness adapter that connects to the woofer. If you have a conventional two way passive crossover, you will need to run speaker wire from the mounting location to each component.

Typically component systems that don’t use a passive two way crossover just send full range to the woofer and band limit the tweeter signal with an in-line capacitor. Sending full range to the woofer won’t hurt anything except SQ.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  5. Feb 27, 2022 at 6:00 AM
    crashnburn

Member:
    metra to crossover.jpg I actually found a diagram with the pin layout of the adapter to try and add the crossover. It was either here or another forum. I can't find the link but I did send it to my printer. I am going to try and connect it properly. I will also try to scan and post it for others who may be interested. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top