1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

YouTube Expert Needed for Block Instructions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daddykool, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Oct 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool [OP] Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Hey, friends.

I need to find out how to block a channel on YouTube. I've looked it up, and it seems like I need to be subscribed in order to do this (?). And even then, it seems I can only block recommendations, not channels themselves. I currently am not subscribed to YouTube.

My youngest has Down Syndrome, and has an iPad. He uses it for entertainment, mostly Spongebob, VeggieTales, Incredibles, etc. Well, there is (was) this a-hole who called himself Angry Grandpa. He posted loud, obnoxious cussing tirades, breaking things, yelling at people, etc. - 600+ videos. My son stumbled onto it, and watches because of how animated the guy is. I'd like to block this.

Do any of you experts have anything you can share? Restricting him to children-only stuff won't work because it bores him. Maybe there's a way to customize Restricted Mode, or maybe only block certain channels? This one is really the only one I'm interested in blocking at the moment.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Oct 17, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
  3. Oct 17, 2022 at 2:04 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    **My kid does not have or use an iPad / Tablet at home though. Only tablet she can use is the one on my car where the local storage videos are what I have downloaded.

I wonder if something like Norton Family would help your case.My Kiddo has a Laptop and managed / controlled by Norton Family which the age group I have selected. I can over ride rules also.I get notification if something was blocked and also I can look what the kiddo did.
    upload_2022-10-17_15-2-27.jpg

Laptop is pretty much only for school work. Regular entertainment stuff will be watched on the main TV that is easily visible to us (parents).

If your kid use the iPad may be Youtube Kids app might help?

upload_2022-10-17_15-0-26.jpg

I'm also in supervisor profile for my kids Google account where I can see every activity.
    upload_2022-10-17_15-16-2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Daddykool[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 17, 2022 at 2:37 PM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    You can block specific addresses via your router. Most have parental controls made easy with a user interface once you log in to the router. You should be easily able to do this.

5. Oct 17, 2022 at 2:48 PM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    Here are a few ways to dramatically reduce seeing his feed as recommended by YT. However, if he knows how to type out who he is looking for, there are no methods in YT's platform to block channels. Reporting him can help as well to keep him showing up in your feed. There are third party apps you can use that are pretty cheap, but if YT updates their platform, it may take days, weeks if at all for them to function correctly again.

This problem you are having is exactly why Tik Tok is doing well. Much greater user functionality. YT is becoming outdated by their own hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfSLxb9b9k

Daddykool[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 17, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    The solution is to not let really young children use Youtube without heavy adult supervision at all. Not even Youtube Kids. It's been known that Youtube Kids ends up with wildly inappropriate stuff on it. It's basically worthless.

Youtube can be fine, but if he's that young, don't leave him alone with it. If he can get to Angry Grandpa, then he can (and probably already has) gotten to all manner of inappropriate stuff.

You'll probably never be able to effectively filter channels (or any other criteria, for that matter) without having an account on Youtube. That's not "subscribing" in any sense of the word. Get used to the idea of having a Youtube account. You already have a 4Runners.com account.

And for goodness sakes, he doesn't watch Angry Grandpa "because of how animated the guy is". He wants to watch Angry Grandpa because of how animated the guy is. He apparently watches Angry Grandpa because his parents don't put up adequate boundaries. Do some parently research on tools you can use to block content in the way you want done, and in the meantime don't let him watch Youtube unsupervised. If he's got the tablet or whatever and opens Youtube when he's not supposed to then he gets a time out or something. It's not rocket science.

Spare Parts likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Daddykool

Member:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have a lot of things now to look into. I really appreciate your help.

Fyi, he’s 19, not 5. If anyone is wanting to pass judgment on my parenting, kindly don’t respond. I wasn’t requesting parenting help, I’m requesting technical assistance. Thanks.

8. Oct 17, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I wasted minutes of my life helping you block videos for your adult son. I want my minutes back.

9. Oct 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    Daddykool

Member:
    I appreciate the helpful points you offered. Thank you, I’ll definitely look into those.

Products Discussed in

To Top