1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

xreas suspension replaced

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jims51wdy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Jan 27, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    jims51wdy

jims51wdy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    None
    I purchased my first 4Runner, a 2015 Limited, in August, 2020 and soon-after learned that one reason I got such a great deal on it was that the xreas system was leaking and needed to be replaced. My Toyota dealer said about $4200, but did suggest I consider scrapping the system and replace it with conventional Bilstein's for only $3500.
    I did a little shopping online and found the proper Bilstein B4600 heavy duty shocks and struts at Shock Warehouse for less than $400. They were on backorder so I waited until January for them to arrive. I shopped for local installers in San Diego and got two estimates for $1600 + or - for labor, plus a couple places that wouldn't install owner-supplied parts. Still too much.
    I struck gold on my third estimate; Suspension Plus, a 25-year-old business with a 4.6* rating from customers, for $650. They had a no-problem installation, and 4 hours later I was cruising on my new suspension. The Bilstein's feel firmer and more positive. I'm very pleased with how everything came together ... Oh, yeah, I DO LOVE MY 4RUNNER!

114RUNR and MI-FL off roader like this.
  2. Mar 10, 2021 at 4:14 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Great first post! Nice to see someone do the research, formulate a plan, and execute it. There are too many that want a spoon fed solution.
    You'll be much happier without the xreas even if it was working properly. Thousands of owners have gone with some sort of Bilstein set up over the years, with good success.
    My LE shocks were working just fine and although adequate, that system is not the best for the kind of driving I do.

Products Discussed in

To Top