1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter Driving Observations from a new T4R owner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Chris In Milwaukee, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Dec 1, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P 4WD
    Leveled with Eibach Shocks; 285/70/R17 Firestone A/T's
    A question for those of you familiar with winter driving (I am not......grew up in Southern California). And maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm asking anyways.

Some of our local mountains get really icy and require chains, even with 4wd vehicles.

When chains are required on a 4x4, are you putting them on all 4 tires or just 2?

If you only put them on 2 tires, is there any benefit to putting them on the front tires? Seems like FWD cars perform pretty well in these conditions when compared to RWD vehicles. Is it a bad idea to only put chains on the front tires of a 4Runner?

2. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    Good question. I wanna know, too.

nimby likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Super White
    LED Interior, Anytime LED Fog Lights, Red 3rd Brake light, More to come.
    Chains or studded tires are great for packed snow and especially Ice. You would only need rear tires chanine just like RWD vehicles. Cahins on front would be for wicked extreme conditions. Like I said these things will go in some very ,very bad conditions W/stock tires. Like my Polaris ATV amazed where it has gone & how much snow I have pushed W/plow all on OEM tires/suspension. Built correct & the OEM's DO know WTF they're doing no matter what some people claim on the inter web.

glwood54, 4runningMan and nimby like this.
  4. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels
    That's interesting.

I would think you would want them on all 4 corners just like snow tires.

These trucks will go through a lot on good tires, but the OEM Dunlops are NOT good tires.

5. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    I have had NO issues with them & that's driving IN major snow storms here. To each his own . Just like suspension. I don't do alot of off roading BUT when I do I have no issues with that either. I keep my vehicles till just under 100k mi. yes I do a lot of commuting (when Employed currently looking) usually 24k a year.

6. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    What’s the max speed when using chains?

7. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    Depends. Is the road completely covered W/Snow/Ice OR some bare spots. I would never go over 45 (Ok they say 20-30 BUT I have seen MANT vehicles driving around me doing 30+ easily). If you break a chain master link or the holding protion you WILL do serious damage with that loose chain flailing around until you stop. I'm sure there are caution on the box. I have never in all my yrs driving here used them on my vehicles.
    From a web site: Driving too fast with chains. Recommended maximum speeds in the owners' manual of the chains – generally 30 to 50 km/h (20 to 30 mph) – maximum. Driving on dry roads with chains for extended periods of time. Driving on dry roads with chains can cause a vehicle to slide when braking.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You must have some excellent winter driving skills.

Here's the user rating on Tirerack.com

My 4runner went sideways on them at about 45 MPH. I was going straight, on a slight incline. I didn't make any sudden maneuvers. It just slid out.

I was able to steer into it and slowed down and put it in 4WD. I had 2 4runners and a Tacoma before and never lost control like that, even in 2WD.

Say what you want, but anyone serious about being safe in the snow should be on 3PMSF tires or dedicated snow tires.

sketch-1575222012524.jpg

9. Dec 1, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    I don't know about driving skills BUT I have always had OEM tire except I did replace @ 65k set on the 2012 FJ & @ 60kMi on Tacoma. But as I said I love driving in snow, it's the morons that don't know how to drive are what causes me problems. Again Just do my normal thing, use 4x4 when I feel i need it & continue on. Those ratings are a good way to gauge what you want to buy. Me I'm not wasting $$$$ on prefectly good operational tires. But that's JMHO:hattip::cheers:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Dec 1, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    I wonder why the Dunlops have a 2.8 out of 10 for "Would buy again"?
    I had the Dunlops on my TRD ORP after sliding down my driveway after a light dusting of snow only for as long as it took to receive a set of Blizzaks from Tire Rack.
    Tires are cheap insurance against bent metal, so buy the best you can afford for the conditions you drive in.
    Here in MN, I swap tires and wheels twice per year - dedicated winter tires go on when the temps have dropped to consistently 45 degrees.
    In the spring, I leave the winter tires on until there is no chance of additional snow.
    It maybe takes an hour using a floor jack, one corner at a time, rotating the tires and checking the brakes and suspension, then recoding the ECU with the new TPMS IDs.

MountainMan, Thatbassguy and KSJ08 like this.
  11. Dec 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Well said!

Mine made it to 1300 miles, which took about 2-3 weeks. In 4WD they were OK, but I just didn't trust them. I would have kept them for summer duty, but they're obviously not designed for any sort of off-roading.

Eventually, I want to run hakkapeliittas for the winter and swap in MT's in the summer. The KO2's are a very good do it all tire in the meantime.

12. Dec 1, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Keep in mind; that the winter tire compound is very soft. Taking them on & off a wheel can damage them. It is better to buy a cheap set of wheels & TPMS sensors & have two full sets. It keeps your summer wheels in perfect condition & if you bend a cheap wheel...
    I was told this by an old friend who was a mechanic for a living. He had no horse in the race.
    My $0.02

13. Dec 1, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    On the subject of chains, they are an amazing piece of equipment for deep snow. I used to drive a propane delivery truck in college and had to chain up about a dozen times a day to get back into cabins in Idaho where I had no business taking a vehicle that large.

That said, I hate them. I don't have a set for my vehicle. If a tightener comes off or a link breaks, it is instant hundreds of dollars of damage to your fender. No thanks.

On the Dunlops, they suck. Sure, some folks think they are just fine. Some folks Jeeps are reliable vehicles, too. Can't talk sense into them no matter what so don't even bother. I ran mine for a month or so and nearly got stuck in my gravel driveway. Took them off and you could see the cords through the tread, the rubber was so thin. Absolute garbage tires.

Thatbassguy and 4Runner fun like this.
  14. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
  15. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    "On the Dunlops, they suck. Sure, some folks think they are just fine. Some folks Jeeps are reliable vehicles, too. Can't talk sense into them no matter what so don't even bother. I ran mine for a month or so and nearly got stuck in my gravel driveway. Took them off and you could see the cords through the tread, the rubber was so thin. Absolute garbage tires."

I don't know about Jeeps never owned one. This is my 4th Toyota & I have had no problems with previous 3!
    Sorry you mustta got lemons. I have 13K on mine & have had zero issues on/off road & in the snow (granted I do NOT go road climbing/ultra rough terrain). That's for the Polaris 500 HO that I tow W/stock tires. Wantta talk about garabage tire ANY Firestone is garbage, 500's, 721, Wilderness ALL unsafe & recalls. I will never buy a Firestone POS. Again like I posted to each his own.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. Dec 2, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I remember the Firestone VS Ford situation about 20 years ago. Tires spontaneously blowing out. I don't recall who ended taking the blame on that one.

17. Dec 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    I had ordered 2008 Explorer Sport. Had wilderness tires on it when delivered. I drove them to 65k no issues. Had new tires installed & still got $$$ from Firestone, because they came W/Vehicle. The problem was operators were inflating to TIRE Pressure on the tire & NOT the Vehicle recomendation on the inside of DS door like all vehicles. I just used them because they were the last Firestone to have an "Issue". the 721 & 500's were defective garbage tires. My point was the ones that come on the 4Runner stock are NOT garbage tires as put. Maybe the OP had a set of lemons:notsure: it happens with everything.

18. Dec 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    The funny thing is that so called "hyper-milers" will run their tires at full pressure to save probably $3 on fuel annually. Imagine how much they're throwing away by causing their tires to wear improperly. Not to mention that they are sacrificing traction by reducing the amount of rubber on the ground. They're not as smart as they think they are.

I don't think the problems with the Dunlops are due to a bad batch. They just don't have a good tread pattern for snow. The user reviews clearly show that they're not good tires.

19. Dec 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:

The OP I quoted stated they ran theirs about a month & had cords showing through, that's what I was referring to as "Lemons" I again haven't had an issue in snow BUT just lucky I gues. Because when we get it I love to go out & "Play in it" as the wife says after plow driveway. that's playing on the ATV for me!!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Oh, yeah. That sounds pretty extreme. I'd imagine there would have been a recall if that was a regular occurrence.

You might just be a more conservative driver than most.

I have a similar situation where a handful of people have said that KO2's are junk in rain, but I've had no issues.

It's probably something to do with driving habits. Or, I might just be spoiled by always buying 3PMSF tires for my trucks.

KSJ08 likes this.
  21. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    I definatley would not consider myself a conservative driver. I do anticipate wht 's happening aorund me. I traded my 03 Mustang GT 115kMi(only vehicle kept to 100k) in on the Explorer Sport. the frt brakes were original W/1/4" left on them. I see brake lights several vehicle ahead of me (for what ever stupid reason) I just let of gas, no need to tap brakes every 10-15 sec. People are basically clueless on highways!!

22. Dec 2, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Yes, they are. I notice that traffic is a lot less stressful when you look ahead and slow down rather than slamming on the brakes last minute.

I meant conservative in a good way, similar to what you describe.

KSJ08 likes this.
  23. Dec 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    Drivers that are distracted are obvious, as are drivers that look only about 20-30 feet in front of their vehicle are.
    If you watch 3 to 6 vehicles in front of you, depending on how close together they are, you should rarely need to use your brakes as @Thatbassguy observes.

Drivers with more confidence than ability are equally obvious, as are drivers with s****y tires for the present conditions.
    I am a retired instructor of street survival style driving clinics (summer and winter) and what is currently taught in drivers ed is all over the board but mostly inaccurate and bad advice where I have experience.

Examples:
    If you can see the side of your vehicle from your outside mirrors from your driving position, they are incorrectly adjusted - if adjusted correctly you have no blind spots.
    If your wrists don't naturally break on top of the steering wheel in your driving position then your seat and/or steering wheel are incorrectly adjusted.
    If you are not holding your steering wheel at 9&3 or 10&2, you have less control over your vehicle. Period. We've had students tell us that their drivers ed instructors told them to hold the wheel at 7&5 so when they get in an accident they're less likely to break their arms/wrists from the air bag going off. My response was always, if they held the steering wheel properly to begin with they wouldn't likely have been in that accident in the first place.
    I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  24. Dec 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    KSJ08

KSJ08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Eastern.Pa
    Vehicle:
    In the rain I use the reflection to see vehicles several ahead to see brake lights and also the cement dividers when they're there.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  25. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    ocelotactual

ocelotactual New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Sonoma Wine Country
    Vehicle:
    Brand spankin' new 2020 4Runner ORP
    Center console organizer.
    Unfortunately in some cases, here in California, CHP will check to see if you are carrying them in order to let you through chain control. That said, I am having difficult time finding any recommendations to brand/style.

26. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    ocelotactual likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top