1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WINDOW DE REGULATION

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Judobum, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sep 9, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    Judobum

Judobum [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    1996 Green Limited 4Runner
    Coil lift/body lift, custom fishing rod holder on front bumper,fog lights, remote start, Volo performance chip
    I lowered the back seat window this morning but it decided not to roll up. With rain coming tonight, I took it to the dealer to see how much it would be to fix it. I was shocked to find out the repair cost of the motor and regulator. Rock auto has the after market one for a fraction of the cost($57.00). Can someone gut check me here to make sure I'm seeing this correctly? Also, is this a major pain in the rear to fix? I have the Haynes manual and it doesn't look too bad.
    IMG_3458.jpg IMG_3457.jpg

2. Sep 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    RussToy

RussToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russel Lee
    Granville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    A Work in Progress
    What...$892!?!?!?! Where did you go? That's insane!! You can get all new Toyota parts...motor, regulator and rubber strip from your Dealership for $400ish. So they're wanting almost $400 for labor...wow!! Sounds awful high to me. I can't see it taking 4hrs to do this job. I'd be doing this job myself!!

Good Luck sir!!

3. Sep 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    When I shattered my rear window I had to take most of this out to clean all the glass out of the grease. Whole thing probably took me 3 hours. Thats taking EVERTHING out cleaning all the grease out, make sure all the glass was cleaned and reinstall. I think theres only 4 bolts that hold that one, Then a few linkage clips(Careful not to loose them).

4. Sep 21, 2015 at 4:01 PM
    Judobum

Judobum [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    1996 Green Limited 4Runner
    Coil lift/body lift, custom fishing rod holder on front bumper,fog lights, remote start, Volo performance chip
    Ugh. It just keeps getting more stupid! The motor/regulator came in and was a snap to put in. Only took me and my buddy about 45 minutes to do. Plus I had the YOUTUBE vid and Haynes with me. The manual actually made it look harder. As luck would have it there it nothing wrong with the motor or regulator. The switch on the driver's door is dead but the back seat one works fine. The flippin dealer didn't even check/find that. I admit to being a dipstick for not thinking of that right away either. However, after trouble shooting the window slides off the regulator about 3/4 on the way to the top. Turns out its the track! I'll be visiting the Toyota dealer tomorrow and speaking to the service manager. Total cost for me has been $58...so far.

5. Sep 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    RussToy

RussToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russel Lee
    Granville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    A Work in Progress
    Wow...dude, that is so wrong!! I'm with you...I'd be talking to a Service Manager also. What a waste of your time and your money. You definitely have a reason to be upset...I'd be raising some serious hell!!

Luckily your only out $58. Imagine if you would have been like most folks and have zero mechanical ability!! And would had no choice but to have your Runner fixed...that mechanic would have hung those parts...even though you didn't need them and took your $400 labor for 30 minutes of work. Fixed your switch and probably charged you even more labor time! Then the worst part...he would have laughed at you when you came in to pick up your 4Runner. That guy needs an a** beating!!

I wish you good luck Sir...

- Russel

Products Discussed in

To Top