1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winches

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Oldtoyotaguy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Apr 30, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    Georgia Native

Georgia Native New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Prem and 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I wonder if saturated and frozen if the ice would cause abrasion within a synthetic line. Obviously, it would take a lot of use in these condition to jeopardize the integrity of the rope.

2. Apr 30, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy [OP] Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Any ice in there will flex and fall out as soon as the line is used

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. Apr 30, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I don't expect it to cause an issue. The synthetic line seems pretty beefy. I'm sure they're used for vehicle recovery in winter conditions, and the manufacturers should have taken that into consideration. I hope..

4. Apr 30, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It’ll work like a champ, I’m not worried anyway. It’s strong and good.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It's made from the same material as some braided fishing lines. I have had braided fishing line hold up through a lot of abuse, so I have plenty of confidence!

I might pick up a spare line for a backup, eventually.

6. May 1, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    Georgia Native

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I actually found a good deal on a Warn synthetic winch line and switched out my steel cable. It is pretty slick and worth the investment. They are pretty easy to switch out, so I plan to keep my steel cable around for certain occassions. Thanks for the inspiration Oldtoyotaguy.

7. May 1, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    Georgia Native

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Braided fishing line still amazes me.

8. May 1, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Me, too! Especially when I learned that 15# Spiderwire actually breaks at 35#. I pretty much only use Spiderwire and mono.

9. May 1, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    Nice looking install. Lo key looks with plenty of function hidden behind it.
    It will serve you well. Warn has always been the reliable name. I've had two 8274's over the years on work trucks, and they did many recoveries and big tower installations and construction projects.
    Good luck, & Let us know how the VR EVO 10 works out. Haven't used synthetic cable yet, Looks a lot handier when there are no abrasion issues.

10. May 1, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Starr! My first synthetic line too. Similar, used a few warns over the years, all cable. They were bulletproof. I hope this one is as good as they were.

11. May 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I was looking at Engo, but the guy at my local off road shop sold me with the warranty. I wound up with the same winch, EVO VR10S. it seems very nice so far.

12. May 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    Have you tried out the new Warn winch? Curious how you feel the new one compares to the old standards.

13. May 2, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’ve used mine once so far just to retension the line on the drum and make sure everything was set up properly. This one is wireless, and can also be wired up. But inside a 4 Runner its a snug fit and wireless is perfect. It’s nice to have that flexibility. In terms of old vs new, it’s hard to tell a difference in terms of power. The 10s is certainly strong, and seems well made. Perhaps the new waterproofing standard is an improvement, time will tell. Warn feels pretty confident in it to give it their warranty and name. I remember the old ones we used to use in the wilds of Canada’s north to be rugged, but crude.

Thatbassguy and Starr[QUOTED] like this.
  14. May 19, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    more4than2

more4than2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner trail dark charcoal
    none yet
    I had a rope I kept on our deck I was going to use. We had a wet snow and then sub-freezing temperatures. I needed to bring it indoors to thaw before I could unwrap the coils. I would use extra care if the synthetic was frozen as the breaking force might be extremely reduced.
    I have used my come-along in the winter, it froze up while I was doing other work. It took a bit more effort to uncoil but it worked properly.
    If I did not live where it froze the synthetic rope would be a no brainer as you said.

15. May 19, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, more4than2, I can envision that happening. On a 5 Gen 4 Runner the line is pretty tucked away and unless you submerged it fording a stream, it is hard to imagine how it could get soaked through and freeze as a line lying on a deck would, for example. Maybe it would. Good points, though.

16. May 19, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    In order for this to be an issue, the synthetic cable would have to be submerged in water and then frozen. I can't picture any realistic scenario in which this would happen.

As far as breaking strength being reduced; keep in mind this synthetic cable is far from being a rope. I highly doubt a little ice will reduce it's breaking strength.

Right. It's a very unlikely scenario that you'd be forging deep water in freezing temperatures, I would think.

17. May 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    Georgia Native

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Still will not stop ARB from marketing a "winch warmer".

Thatbassguy and Oldtoyotaguy[OP] like this.
  18. May 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    :rofl:

19. May 20, 2020 at 12:43 AM
    more4than2

more4than2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none yet

I have had ice across the front of my grill and coating my bumper, fenders and forward skid plate. Wet streets from snow being driven on, freezing weather, needing to leave before streets are plowed. We all live in different areas with different conditions. What you will experience in Georgia might be just a wee bit different from I experience.

I will go by what I go through each winter.

20. May 20, 2020 at 3:29 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    The winch sits inside of the bumper. In order for the line to become fully saturated, it would need to be submerged. A little spray from wet roads isn't going to freeze the whole cable solid.

Also, I live in Wisconsin.

21. May 20, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I echo that. I also live in a snow belt, in central Ontario, Canada. We receive a lot of wet, freezing, snowy, rainy weather. I’d eat my hat if the synthetic line on my winch ever became so frozen to the drum it wouldn’t unwind. Haha. Like Thatbassguy says, maybe after being totally submerged in sub freezing conditions. Even then, I’m guessing you could still get it to work. Even frozen, those synthetic lines flex.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. May 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    more4than2

more4than2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    As I said I will go by my experiences rather than somebody else's. If I had taken pictures I sure somebody would say I doctored them. End of my part of this conversat

23. May 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I forgot to mention that I got to actually use the winch this past weekend. My Mom's boyfriend got his Volkswagen stuck in the sand on Friday, so I pulled him out. I didn't double the line up. I just wrapped a soft shackle around his frame and dragged him out. I worked great!

Oldtoyotaguy[OP] likes this.
  24. May 20, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Being in Florida, I know I'll get flamed for this, buuutt don't they use rope in the Bering Sea? I won't let the door hit me in the backside on my way out. Thank You.

Moon Landing and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. May 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m not sure of your reference, MI-FL off roader, but the synthetic line we use in winches started out as dyneema rope more than 30 years ago on boats. In all kinds of weather as well.

26. May 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I was being a smart alec. I agree. Just from watching Deadliest Catch. Those Crab pots are pulled in from over 100s of feet down, and they weigh 600 to 800 pounds. So the forces they put on their rope is quite similar to the stresses you would put on a winch line. Obviously smaller diameter for winch line but the crabbers trust their lives hundreds of times a day with rope. Edit: the only difference I can see is winch line is subject to more abrasion? Just curious.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  27. May 20, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, there may be occasions where a line gets exposed to abrasive particles from sand, mud or soil which would necessitate rinsing it off, and rewinding it. Just like most things, maintenance is required. I'm not sure of your term, "rope". Rope becomes a line when it is purposed. So, generally, there are no ropes on a boat, only lines. I'm sure those lines being used to haul up heavy crab pots, as you describe, are properly spec'd for the purpose intended. I wouldn't be surprised if they are dyneema lines or equivalent. Why wouldn't they be?

28. May 20, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I know how ice can build up on things while driving in nasty weather. It's worth considering. I will keep an eye on it next winter. I think either type of cable is worth protecting from the elements.

DRobs and MI-FL off roader like this.
  29. May 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Lol yea that's the Florida redneck speak coming out. That's daygum wire rope. But yes, I had also thought about the ice and salt water the crabbers work around so they have to maintain the line they use quite regularly. So I think the synthetic used for a winch line has been proven time and again in many different applications.

30. Jun 23, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    This is my second similar install, as my wife's SR5 has a hidden winch on it that I put on a few years ago. See post #2 in this thread for that. That post also has a link to an install thread I did over on t4r.org.

I just did my 2019 OR a few weeks ago and installed a SDHQ hidden bumper, Warn VR8S EVO winch, and Factor 55 Flatlink. I updated the t4r.org thread referenced above and in post #2 with all the step by step details of the OR installation.

I highly recommend SDHQ both as a vendor and as a manufacturer. The 4R bumpers are in stock, it literally is 3 days from ordering to bolting it on your truck... and they are fairly budget friendly at around $500 with shipping being reasonable as well. Only downside is no shackle mounts... but I've used the OEM tie down loops with a snatch block with zero issues so I really think that's not a deal breaker.

The VR Evo series also are very nice quality at a fair price. Synthetic 8k w/ wireless remote is around $650. My experience with the "original" non-Evo VR has been great so imagine this will be as good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ricphoto, Bikeric, 2000Sport and 10 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top