1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch suggestions

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Sandbuster, May 23, 2021.

1. May 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster [OP] Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    If you have a winch, what brand is it? Would you buy it again? If no, which one would you purchase?

PJAC and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. May 23, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Warn evo 10s been fine for me. I’ve seen plenty of smittybilts work fine. The dude who does recovery’s for a living on YouTube uses a old harbor freight one just fine lol

3. May 23, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    I guess its like a “mind game” when it comes to such things. Our head says “Hey fool, this could be a life or death situation - choose the best!” - then there’s the guy using a Harbor Freight product for his livelihood. Wadda gonna do?

4. May 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I think the sad reality is most are built in China, even my warn. They do have some USA made models, but are they any better?

I’d say just consider synthetic line, whether or not you want a wireless remote, and the location of the clutch (some locations don’t work well with certain bumpers)

5. May 23, 2021 at 6:47 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Agreed.. For those that are "elderly" like myself, in the years following WW2 Japan exported a LOT of junk products to the US - after awhile it just became known as "Jap Junk". Eventually they got their act together and now it's all very high quality (cars/electronics/etc). I have seen improvements in Chinese exports from where they were a few short years ago - maybe someday they will catch up to US & Japanese quality.

6. May 23, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Personally went with a Warn Zeon 12-S w/remote, but that's me. Here's a guy(Paul) that likely uses his winch(NOT a Warn) more than 90% of us and shows them no mercy. In the end we all have to do what we can comfortably justify and hope for the best. I guess:notsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAukM-KSpc

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  7. May 23, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Amen to that...

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. May 23, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I have the same Warn Evo 10S as @Jynarik . I've used it for 2 recoveries and some shenanigans, and so far no issues.

I was looking at Engo, which seemed like a great value. I was swayed to the Warn on the recommendation of my local off-road shop. The warranty is very good, and Warn has a great reputation.

As of now, I would absolutely buy it again.

If cost wasn't a factor, I would buy a Zeon.

PJAC and Moon Landing like this.
  9. May 24, 2021 at 4:47 AM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Thanks for your input - the "cost factor" is definitely a card in the game.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. May 26, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    31F53310-D818-4C08-8598-0F20E2B73C0A.jpg F87C8181-8CEF-4B3A-B6B2-38B175EDC840.jpg 18A630B5-3BAE-4EF2-A9C1-7B43BC8A533A.jpg

Here’s mine, it’s from Harbor Freight. 12,000 lb and I picked up the mounting plate with it and fabricated everything to secure it to the frame of my 1990. It’s been on the 4Runner since 2016 and I’ve never serviced it….lol. Mud, snow, rain & desert dirt I always stop and wash it down after use. I have a snatch block and other stuff in a go bag anytime we head out. Since it’s been on the truck we’ve used it maybe 12 or so times.

It’s never failed to work. I think on sale I got it for $225 bucks and the mounting plate was another $50. OTD was right at $300.

I’m really happy with it, might switch the steel cable for a synthetic style cable this year.

I’d recommend this one no problem. If your going to be using a winch hardcore though a Warn or higher end one would probably be the way to go.

HTH ;).

PJAC, Reldn and Thatbassguy like this.
  11. May 26, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    Sandbuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Nice work - especially the cut job on the bumper! Obviously you made a logical choice that has proven to have been a good choice given the overall cost. Unfortunately, I chose to ignore logic and purchased a 10K Smittybilt which arrived today. I probably shoulda listened to my wallet instead of those poo pooing the idea of a cheap winch. Thanks for your input and great pictures!

12. May 26, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    I just saw the other post…..guess I’m a bit late. Well good luck and have fun with the one you got ! Awesome

13. May 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Reldn

Reldn New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    Awesome work! Looks nice. I've always been iffy on higher risk items from Harbor Freight for some reason, but, I've heard a lot of good things regarding their winches. Enough so, that I'm even considering one. *laughs*

PJAC likes this.
  14. May 26, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    PJAC

PJAC New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner- MGM TRD ORP
    RSG Sliders w/ kickout Shrockworks Skids Baja squadron sport ditch lights & Baja fog lights (both are Amber) SSO offroad roof rack JBA UCAs Eibach suspension NoxLux black-out emblems MaxTrax recovery boards SCS ray 10's BFG ko2's -285/70/17 Stay tuned...more mods coming very soon including new suspension & much more
    I went with Smitty Built & so far I love it! I'll post when I use it on trails. Also, I have a remote because I really need the extra assistance in certain situations...being small has its downfalls but thanks to Smitty Built winches remote control...my life offroad just got better :) went with Shrockworks front bumper & its a great fit!IMG_4425.jpg

Moon Landing likes this.
  15. Aug 17, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    Bumping an old thread. I bent the spring clasp on my winch hook. I could replace it for probably less than 5.00. However I think I’m going to just replace the hook all together. Looking at the prolink, flat link or flat link E. Leaning towards the flat link E and reason to lean the other directions?

Products Discussed in

To Top