1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Model?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Stoney Ranger, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It seems that the Sequoia can be used in 4WD with the center differential unlocked, which would be excellent in snow and some off-road scenarios. And, you can lock the center differential making it like a regular 4×4 for maximum traction. It actually seems like a nice option.

2. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    So basically the Sequioa (still learning to spell that..) has the 4Runner Limited drive-train PLUS the ability to completely disengage the Torsen diff for RWD only. Neat.

I am guessing that pushing the center locking button while in 2WD does nothing.

All in all, that makes me wonder why the Limited 4Runner isn't the same way. When I consider the Limited 4Runner in "normal mode," it is AWD, correct? Surely that must have worse fuel economy than other 4Runners in "normal" aka 2WD mode? But maybe it's negligible...

But if it's negligible, then why isn't the Sequioa the same?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Mar 24, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Yes, makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I've researched this in the past but never came up with a good explanation. I'll do some more internet digging later.

Just had a thought. They may have provided an option for 2wd on the Sequoia in an effort to slightly improve its horrific gas mileage. Having said that, the 5.7 is a nice engine. Imagine the 5.7 in a 4Runner, that would be interesting.

It's the wife's car so I don't pay as much attention to it. ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top