1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Model?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Stoney Ranger, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Mar 22, 2021 at 2:17 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    You might look into the OEM plus audio upgrade. It's a model specific kit for the 5th gen. I've always had fun picking out my own components for past cars but in this case I think the value is there, as they tune everything for the 4Runner cabin specifically. I'm not sure that the newer ORPs come with a better stereo, I know the Pro and Limited do.

ORP suspension is exactly the same as all other models. The only difference is that you can option KDSS. Limited is the only one with different shocks (XREAS).

If you get a Premium (SR5P or ORP) the Softex is incredibly durable and easy to maintain. It's not like real leather where you need to condition it. Just wipe them down and they'll be good for years. I'd hardly see the need for seat covers on them.

Singleminded likes this.
  2. Mar 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    I'm not sure if the TRD Off-Road stereo is upgraded from the SR5. I don't think it is.

The TRD Pro (and Limited) does get an upgraded stereo.

The TRD Off-Road / SR5 stereo is trash. Be prepared.

A big part of purchasing the Premium for us was the "leather" seats. I thought, why would you want cloth seats when you plan to get them dirty / muddy? I guess seat-covers are a thing.. just not my thing. I left red clay on my seats for a few months and it, basically, wiped right off.

3. Mar 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    My SR5 had cloth seats. I like the feel especially in the summer. But if I ever get a dog that sheds, I'm in big trouble. ;)

I've read a lot of positive comments about the softtex. That may be a better option if you play in the mud or have pets that shed.

I don't do the mud thing. It seldom rains here in the summer, but it's really dusty off-road.
    We call it moon dust. :)

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Mar 22, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    The 2019 Off Road Premium I tested (with KDSS by the way) had the “Entune Premium Audio w/Navigation.” It was listed under Standard Equipment, not Optional Equipment. It had a lot of speakers and was pretty loud. But the system sounded better in the 2020 Limited I ended up getting.

5. Mar 22, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Oh, one other point about this for the OP/ others who are interested in the stereo -- the 2019 had a CD drive while the 2020 does not. If you want to play your own music ya gotta plug in the phone or MP3 player. That said, the 2020 was the first year with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Mar 22, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Heated seats weren't a deal-breaker for me. But, now that I have had them for a few winters, I'm never going back! :D

jmkulbeth and Joesam like this.
  7. Mar 22, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Me too. And after another sweltering summer I'm gonna feel the same way about ventilated seats!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Ooh, I wish the ORP came with that, too! :( my buddy is thinking about trading his limited for an ORP. I better warn him!!

Singleminded[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Im curious about how you came to that conclusion, I’ve never heard of a single instance of a limited center diff failing.

Singleminded and Thatbassguy like this.
  10. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    ^ Hey, Not a lot of scientific backing, so please educate me! I find myself warming up to Limited's more and more each day. That's just my feeling based upon seeing LSD's fail over time. Do many extreme guys rock Limiteds? If not, then I doubt you'd hear of them failing. That said, as I do a little reading, supposedly the transfer case found in the Limited is very strong, tried and true, and maybe better than the transfer case found in the part-times. However, I feel that, mechanically, a differential that has the ability to slip cannot be as strong as one that allows no slip, ever. It's gotta be more complex, right? I could be wrong. *Keeps reading about Torsen diffs* Either way, I guess if Toyota designs the vehicle as a whole, I'd hope that they designed the differential to be stronger than the axles? So it would probably be a freak-incident to blow a differential or transfer case..

11. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:47 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    ^ So, on that note.. I'm reading about how the 4th gens had the torsen center diff (all of them? I dunno.). And Land Cruisers also use a Torsen center diff. Those seem plenty strong, eh?

So I wonder why Toyota didn't base the TRD Pro on the Limited's drive train??

I've always said that the Limited's drive-train was the best choice for most people, and I still stand behind that.

But now I wonder.. is it the best choice for everyone? Is cost the only disadvantage to the Limited's drive-train??

Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Mar 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    The center diff is a limited slip but not in the tradition sense. There’s no really any wear items in a torsion center diff. It’s also worth noting it mechanically locks. The torsion applies power to both front and rear while letting them spin at different speeds so it doesn’t bind while turning. However 4hi locked and 4lo locked, both mechanically lock the same way a traditional t-case does.

The torsion system with 2 speeds and mechanical locking IS a better more functional system but it’s more expensive. Land Cruisers get a center diff and KDSS, neither of which is even an option on the Pro. At the end of the day they don’t need to give the Pro more expensive equipment to sell it. Make it a special color for a year and add black bits and people eat it up and pay over sticker.

This is a really dry watch, but worth the time.

https://youtu.be/ESm0PPBkAQQ

Toffees, Slopemaster and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Mar 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    So the Limited has locked HI and locked LO? I thought it only locked aka 4HI. "The more you knooooow."

Yeah, they certainly don't need to make it better. Honestly, I think they didn't include the torsen center diff or KDSS because then why would you buy the LC unless you just needed a little more room?

I still want to learn more about this Torsen center diff, though. Such as exactly how it locks. Seems pretty sweet.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  14. Mar 23, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    I stopped at a local dealer today and took an SR5 Premium for a test ride. The salesman told me that the TRD/OR had a softer suspension than the SR5. I like a stiffer ride, so the TRD/OR was no longer being considered.
    I had a handful of SR5's on a wish list. After calling the dealer that had this one, (my #1 choice) and it was still available, I pulled the trigger, gave him a deposit over the phone and will pick this beauty up on Saturday. (Dealer is 2 hours away)
    The price and mileage were too good to pass up.
    Thank you all for your input. It's gonna be a long week. Saturday seems like a long ways away.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...elper.selectedEntity=c25238#listing=291335440

Reldn and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Mar 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    throwback

throwback New Member

Member:
    The TRD OR and SR5 have exactly the same suspension unless you get the KDSS swaybar system on the TRD OR which will feel stiffer on the road than the SR5.

thirdyota likes this.
  16. Mar 23, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Salesman is full of shit. He wants to sell what they have, not what you want. If you're happy, you're happy. But don't pull the trigger unless it's exactly what you want.

17. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I am happy for you if this is what you want. I drove both SR5 and ORP and thought they handled similarly. The best way is to drive them is to do it on the same day. Not sure if negotiated down on price but the the incremental cost for new one is not much more much more. Maybe I am thinking SR5 versus SR5 premium.

I saw some SR5 premiums on Car gurus for under $40k and I am sure you knock it down. Just my opinion though. Check out car gurus etal.

I am not knocking at all. Just trying to be helpful as so many have to me on this site.

At the end of the day you have to be happy though. Best wishes on the purchase.

251456C0-4B53-427D-A263-E34E85CF2F09.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Singleminded and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    It's kinda a cliche around here but also totally fair to say that you can't go wrong with any version of the 4Runner. That said, I'm a booster of the SR5 when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. And this one you're looking at has nice low miles. It's also a color you tend to see less often.

Just suggest you price new ones before you sign the papers. I don't know what price you agreed to on this 2018, but I'm sure you can get a 2021 SR5 Premium for only 3K more than your dealer is asking for the 2018.

Some folks seem to want to buy used almost as a matter of principle. But it gets me when the total cost of that used car is so close to what they could have paid new after some negotiation. (This is especially the case when financing, since the interest rate on used cars is often much higher).

Anyway, again, you can't go wrong with any 4Runner model. The SR5 is great. Just be aware of the actual total cost difference of this one vs new.

And remember to post pics when you get whatever you get! We love pics!

brownersd and Thatbassguy like this.
  19. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    A major issue for me was if I really needed the up graded off road capability of the TRD/OR. I decided that I didn't, so the extra money I would have spent for a TRD went for a bigger downpayment. I also thought the audio system was .......adequate. Not quite what I want, but I can live with it. I won't be buying a new audio system, and that money went to the downpayment, also.

I have 2 dogs. Gotta have seat covers.

Reldn and Thatbassguy like this.
  20. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    Reldn

Reldn New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '24 Ice Cap TRD ORP
    I did much the same thing with my 4Runner. I was originally going for an Off Road Premium as well, but, ended up deciding that I really didn't need the extra off road goodies and ended up buying an SR5 Premium instead, and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. You definitely can't go wrong with any of the variants. Enjoy your 4Runner!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  21. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I really like the blue. That would have been my second choice. I mainly picked white so it wouldn't get so hot in the summer. Plus I like the stormtrooper look. ;)

Regarding the discussion about the center transfer on the limited. It got me wondering about our 4x4 Sequoia. It's 2wd but you can select 4hi or 4low. Yet it has a center diff lock. I can understand the center lock on the limited but why on my Sequoia?

Sorry for the thread hi jack.

22. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    This x 10.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    How can your 4x4 Sequoia be 2wd? It's either one or the other...maybe I don't get what you mean.

I thought any 4wd vehicle with a center differential is full-time 4wd, and you still can put it in 4HI & 4LO.

24. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:00 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Good question, I don't know, that's why I posted. I should get the manual out and take a look.

IMG_4569.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg

25. Mar 23, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Sorry for the Sequoia post but all of the discussion about the Limited raised my question.

I've never understood the logic here.

IMG_4571.jpg
    IMG_4572.jpg

26. Mar 24, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Welcome and good luck on your shopping. Unless you want a 3rd row or desire AWD, your best option may be a KDSS equipped off road and swap for some suitable tires. If you live in Gulf States, be prepared to drive to buy one of these. At any rate, all builds are more than capable and can suit you well.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  27. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Maybe it's just the hard core Mall Crawler I am, but I'm not adding $125 of cheap spacers to my $40k truck to improve the handling. YMMV.

28. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Looking at that, I'd be as lost as you. o_O

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Is it possible that the Torsen differential in the center carrier must be engaged? So it's 2WD, then Torsen (unlocked) 4WD aka AWD via knob ("4HI"), then Torsen (unlocked) low-gear 4WD aka AWD via knob ("4LO"), and then true locked 4WD in either 4WD mode is attained when pushing the button to lock the now-engaged Torsen center diff? But then.. what would happen when you press the center diff. lock button while in 2WD?

My head is spinning. Thanks, Toyota. lol

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  30. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Thank you, glad I'm not the only one that doesn't understand. If it didn't have the center diff lock, then it would seem normal.

It's a 2012 SR5.

This is the first and only Toyota forum I have joined so I thought I'd bring it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top