1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would cause Steering wheel to drift out of alignment 90 degrees while driving?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by 4runner2000x, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    4runner2000x

4runner2000x [OP] New Member

Member:
    None
    I have a 2000 4 runner, had new tires and front end work about 6 months ago, while driving yesterday on the interstate , the steering wheel alignment, drifts from far left, about 10 oclock / to almost 2 o clock \ . It changes orentation after i make a turn. I can feel the wheels tend to slip as I steer. Is it dangerous? Is something about to break? I am going to take it to the shop, but should I have it towed?

Its a 4 runner 2WD limited. 220K miles, supposedly, the repair shop went through and replaced a few front end parts 6 months ago. They just replaced a right rear tire before this started happening yesterday.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:09 AM
    Overlandcharlie

Overlandcharlie Long way from home

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 4R
    3in OME rear medium coils Eibach rear shocks ICON 17x8 wrapped in Toyo MT 295/70-17 3” OME front medium duty Coil overs LFD cross bars RSG sliders ROAM gear box and custom built box with Rear diff breather extension LED interior lighting Ellis shifter in reach mini on RAM mount C4 Dual battery tray and under hood accessories mount With compressor Ironman 2m awning Ironman 9500 winch with synthetic rope and factor 55 flatlink Lo pro winch front bumper / light bar / recovery points Recovery gear: recovery boards / soft shackles / snatch strap and recovery straps - tree savers - assorted D rings etc. Wyeth-Scott synthetic come-along for rear facing recoveries Rear recovery points Remote battery jump starter and power source ax / shovel / chainsaw Always loaded with food / water and camping gear. Frequently camping and exploring the great outdoors
    Have it towed if you don’t know what you are looking at - sounds like pitman arm is loose but could be a myriad of things.

LandCruiser, negusm and Moon Landing like this.
  3. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    4runner2000x

Member:
    None
    I just read about what a pitman arm does. Sounds exactly like what the problem is. The guys lifted the car yesterday to put a new tire on it, I wonder if they damaged it? Anyway I am going to have it towed to a mechanic here in town and have it inspected.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-pitman-arm

4. Apr 15, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1987 4Runner all stock, owned 32 years
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Could be when they lifted it, the pitman arm came loose. If so, it's now a very dangerous situation!
    I wish you good fortune!
    Pat☺

5. Apr 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    4runner2000x

Member:
    None
    Thanks. My mechanic I normally see in Charlotte is all booked up, so I may have to take it to the dealership :/

6. Apr 15, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    Overlandcharlie

Overlandcharlie Long way from home

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 4R
    3in OME rear medium coils Eibach rear shocks ICON 17x8 wrapped in Toyo MT 295/70-17 3” OME front medium duty Coil overs LFD cross bars RSG sliders ROAM gear box and custom built box with Rear diff breather extension LED interior lighting Ellis shifter in reach mini on RAM mount C4 Dual battery tray and under hood accessories mount With compressor Ironman 2m awning Ironman 9500 winch with synthetic rope and factor 55 flatlink Lo pro winch front bumper / light bar / recovery points Recovery gear: recovery boards / soft shackles / snatch strap and recovery straps - tree savers - assorted D rings etc. Wyeth-Scott synthetic come-along for rear facing recoveries Rear recovery points Remote battery jump starter and power source ax / shovel / chainsaw Always loaded with food / water and camping gear. Frequently camping and exploring the great outdoors
    If you crawl under there you can tell if it is loose it’ll jiggle up and down
    If it is loose - center your steering wheel and tighten it up - then take it to the shop
    Its an easy job.

7. Apr 16, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    4runner2000x

Member:
    None

Just got it back from my mechanic. Turns out the 2000 4runner does have a pitman arm, the rack & pinion bushing were basically worn out completely, allowing the whole assembly to slide from side to side, giving the steering wheel a large amount of play and causing it become freely out of alignment while driving. The whole thing to replace the bushings and alignment was about $500.

Products Discussed in

To Top