1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Tools should I carry in my t4r?

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by BlueGoo92, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    BlueGoo92

BlueGoo92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Juneau AK
    Vehicle:
    1992 Blue 4Runner SR5
    I already have all the cold weather gear, recovery gear, ratchet straps and stuff. But I’m wondering what actual tools you guys recommend for roadside repairs.

2. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Welcome, this is our first winter with the T4R. We have the same question. Being mainly in a metropolitan area is a help. I would still like to fill my wife's T4R with recovery gear (weather it is for us or others).
    I have heard good & bad things about the kenitic Bubba Rope.
    Winter recovery gear is different than summer gear & I don't know the balance, to be honest...

3. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:51 PM
    BlueGoo92

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Juneau AK
    Vehicle:
    1992 Blue 4Runner SR5
    For winter stuff I just carry a tow rope, snatch rope, shackles. Ideally I’d like to get a winch but a come along would suffice. Also would bring tire chains, traction boards. But I’m literally looking for actual tools, like common sized wrenches, pliers, things that commonly fail on a 4runner so that I know what tools I need to complete a roadside repair

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:08 PM
    BlueGoo92

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Juneau AK
    Vehicle:
    1992 Blue 4Runner SR5
    Also my father recovered a fully loaded max size uhaul from being completely inside a ditch with a 2x4 to dig with and tire chains. It was -20 and the middle of a blizzard. Multiple people drove around and circled us and refused to offer help. That night alone proved to me tire chains can be one of the most useful winter tools you can carry

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:26 PM
    Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 silver SR5 4x4
    First things first, do you know how to make repairs? I mean this respectfully, but All the tools in the world are of no use if you dont know what to do with them. And when you need to know how to make a repair, you may not have any phone signal to look it up. If you dont know what you are doing, you may do more damage than good. If you do know how to make the more common repairs, you prolly already know which tools are needed for these tasks. Nothing wrong with not being mechanically inclined, but i know mechanics who have made a good living fixing peoples mistakes.

If you are not very mechanically inclined, i recommend a AAA card, tow truck drivers phone numbers or similar, an air compressor, jump box AND jumper cables, a socket set for removing battery terminals to clean or tighten them in a no start situation, Some good pliers to pull nails out of a tire, and a tire plug kit for plugging the nail holes. I also recommend watching a video on how to properly jump start a vehicle, most people i see do this on the sides of the road do it incorrectly. You dont hook the ground/black wire to the negative battery terminal. If your vehicle is lifted make sure you have a jack that can lift it. A board or metal plate to sit the jack on would be nice as well for when off road.

Fourtoad and 4Runner fun like this.
  6. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:36 PM
    BlueGoo92

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Juneau AK
    Vehicle:
    1992 Blue 4Runner SR5
    I appreciate the basic help man. But I’m mechanically inclined and constantly did work on my first gen taco and 06 TJ. I recently bought this t4r and haven’t had a chance to wrench on it yet so I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction of basic wrench sizes and common failure points. For example on the first gen Tacoma you could take apart pretty much everything with a 10,12,and 14mm wrench.

4Runner fun likes this.
  7. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:16 AM
    Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 silver SR5 4x4
    The common wrench sizes will work on the 4runner as well. And most other vehicles too. A full socket and wrench set would be good to have on hand, and 2 extra in 10mm, because it always seems like they disappear in thin air LOL. I also keep zip ties, pliers, and an adjustable wrench.

You may not want to carry a full set of tools, and you may go years and never need a 7 or 8mm, or a 19 or 22mm either, but that one time you need it will make it worth having it.

I keep one of these in my 4runner with tools, air compressor, jump box, jumper cables, some fatwood to start a quick fire, an axe, disposable seat covers for when im dirty, latex and mechanic gloves, ball hitch, and a few other odds and ends. Keeps the back organized and having wheels makes it easy to take out whenever i need more room to haul something.

8. Dec 7, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    Driving Chevrolet for 25 years taught me to always carry tools in my truck (especially common sockets and drivers). Since I went Toyota, I've never needed any. But, my bashing of GM aside, I dont think you'll need a lot, unless you do off-road a lot. I'll defer to others on that subject.

WallyT4R and 4Runner fun like this.
  9. Dec 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robin
    Edmonton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner Army Green
    4 x 4 Innovations sliders Greenlane Rear hatch ladder
    in addition to a basic tool kit and your recovery kit, a small plastic tray with spare fuses, lantern style LED flash light and or head lamp, and if not already included, a shovel. I also carry a small portable compressor that runs off the battery. It is worth while checking the spare tire air pressure from time to time as well. Nothing worse than pulling out the spare only to find out that it too is flat:-(

4Runner fun likes this.
  10. Dec 7, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    Nice list. I agree with the full set of wrench and sockets and larger open-ended wrenches can be used as additional leverage.
    I used to carry a plus-size mechanics jump suit and a tarp in my pickup for when I needed to get under it.
    I had a crow bar in my FJ60 that I used to tension the power steering belt.
    If you keep battery operated items in the vehicle like flashlights or headlamps, you must check them often - batteries still leak and ruin devices.
    Nice carrying case, but I think I'd want to strap that box down - that could be one heckuva projectile in an accident/rollover.

4scooter19 and 4Runner fun like this.
  11. Dec 7, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    That's a really good point. We had a training at work recently with a trauma nurse regarding vehicle accidents. One of the points she made was think about what is in your vehicle and what would happen with it if you got in an accident. She said she recently had a patient that would have survived the accident had it not been for his hydro flask. I'm not a worry wart by any means and have shit in my truck that should be tied down, it was just interesting/ eye opening to hear of how something as innocent as a water bottle could become so deadly.

4Runner fun likes this.
  12. Dec 7, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    thirdgen

thirdgen New Member

Member:
    Cable chains(lighter).
    Tools.
    Survival candles.
    Drinking water in sterile pouches.
    Energy bars.
    Bunny suit.
    12x20 tarp.
    TP.
    Aluminum survival blanket.
    Flare gun and flares.
    Pistol and 50 rds.
    Hand crank radio/flashlight.

4Runner fun likes this.
  13. Dec 7, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    2 Plug kits (Incase the first one breaks)

Air pump (just a small cigar lighter one, nothing high tech like you guys)

Vise grip pliers (pulling nails and what not)

Screwdrivers (prying on nail heads, loosening screws)

Jumper cables (broke’em out earlier last year, pizza delivery guy needed help)

All fits in my back cubby....

4Runner fun likes this.
  14. Dec 7, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    I have a 92 pickup along with my 4 runners and the only time I've had to fix anything on the side of the road was the soft line off the slave cylinder. I recommend a 10mm flared nut wrench and a replacement soft line, (a front brake line works) and fluid to bleed it. Also fuses and hose clamps are handy to have.

4Runner fun likes this.
  15. Dec 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    Meah...

Cell phone and a credit card and you are good. :cool:

I like to carry a lot of stuff for tire repairs. Of course everything you need to change a tire but I also have a complete plug kit and a compressor.

As far as tools go, I don't carry a lot right now. It's can 18 4Runner so I am not really worried about it breaking down. I do have some concerns about me bending a tierod but since I don't currently have a spare tierod I am not carrying spares to replace one.

I am hoping Marlin comes out with their MarRack and MarRods for the 4Runner and I can upgrade to those and probably never need to worry about it again.

4Runner fun and WallyT4R like this.
  16. Dec 8, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
  17. Dec 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    12 gauge. An condoms. You never know!

rkwfxd, 4Runner fun and Jynarik like this.
  18. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Are the condoms before or after you use the gun

19. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    You never know!

rkwfxd likes this.
  20. Dec 15, 2019 at 12:27 AM
    VTSR5

VTSR5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘12 SR5 w winch
    9AF6896D-A2F0-471D-98E8-AF434FEB0444.jpg
    Coming from decades of ownership of BMW motorcycles, which are supplied with a good quality toolkit from the factory, I felt a little under-gunned running around in my 2012 SR5 with just the factory-supplied jack and tire changing tools. My 18” Craftsman toolbox has everything I might need to handle a breakdown, and I do chuck it in the back when I’m heading off road or on a long road trip. It’s saved my @ss twice when I owned a Grand Cherokee, but carrying that box everyday is overkill and it gets in my way too much for EDC. So I wanted to put together a tool roll that would tuck into the passenger side cubby over the rear wheel well, would stay put, and would have everything I might reasonably need when contemplating a mechanical issue away from my home base and garage.

So I ordered a “Sport Tool Roll” from Adventure Tool Company in Colorado, and I filled it with:

Combination wrenches 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19mm
    3/8” drive ratchet
    Sockets 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 24
    3/8” x 3” extension
    3/8” x 10” extension
    3/8” female to 1/2” male adapter
    1/2” female to 3/8” male adapter
    3/8” x 10mm hex
    Utility knife
    Tapered punch
    Craftsman 6-in-1 screwdriver
    Pliers, 6” needle-nose combination type w wire cutter
    Pliers, 7” waterpump type
    Mini-mag lite LED w 2xAA lithium
    Two lengths EMT conduit, 8” x 1/2” and 8” x 3/4” (nesting)
    Rags, gloves, a bit of stove wire, a few zip ties.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    KBS, El General*****, rkwfxd and 3 others like this.
  21. Dec 15, 2019 at 12:33 AM
    VTSR5

VTSR5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘12 SR5 w winch
    The 10” extension slides through a hole in either of the two adapters to make a breaker bar for either 1/2” or 3/8” sockets, so I don’t have to overload the ratchet to break fasteners free. The short lengths of EMT conduit can extend the leverage on the breaker bar.

8409E28C-EEB4-4371-883B-1FB4878C58C2.jpg

rkwfxd likes this.
  22. Dec 15, 2019 at 1:25 AM
    VTSR5

VTSR5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘12 SR5 w winch
    My tool selection is based on what I know I need to do routine maintenance on the vehicle, and I specifically pull out this kit and work from it for oil changes etc. just to prove I have it figured out. I leave my oil filter housing removal tool and grease gun at home.

Separately and not shown I carry a Klein canvas zippered parts bag ($6 @ Home Dpo) about 12” x 6”. I use this to carry a small amount of supplies I might need, like hand cleaner, fuses, spare bulbs, safety glasses (they stay clean and scratch-free in a ziplock bag), etc. A good place for that in a 5th Gen is under the jack storage location where Toyota has provided what is obviously a small tool tray, about 8” x 4” x 4”, too small for my tool roll but great for a smaller package of stuff.

You can actually get a lot of tools into that space under the jack inside one of these Klein bags or something similar if you keep the max tool length under 8 inches.

I keep good quality headlamp in the glove box and it gets a surprising amount of use. Better than a flashlight for most purposes, in my opinion. I use it when vacuuming or detailing the 4Runner in my under-lit garage, maintenance under the vehicle, and many, many other routine life chores unrelated to the vehicle.

Almost as frequently used is my dial-type Accu-Gauge tire pressure gauge which rides in the center console. Get a nice one like the Accu-Gauge and it makes the mundane-but-important routine maintenance of checking tire pressure almost fun.

Many on here express the opinion that our Toyotas are so well-built and so reliable that carrying tools is redundant and unnecessary. This may be true; I think it depends upon your objectives, and I leave that judgement to each person. However, let me share this: since putting together my tool roll I have solved exactly no problems for myself on my well-maintained 4Runner. But with that tool set I have fixed half a dozen mechanical problems for friends. Let me just say, without going into too much detail, that occasionally it pays to be prepared.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    4Runner fun and BlueGoo92[OP] like this.
  23. Dec 15, 2019 at 1:59 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Emergency valve stems are good to add to your kit, even if you don't go off road. Lots of debris out there on the highways.
    https://www.colbyvalve.com

BlueGoo92[OP] likes this.
  24. Dec 15, 2019 at 3:09 AM
    VTSR5

VTSR5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘12 SR5 w winch
    Good point. I’ve never had one fail on or off road, but I’ve had them loosen up over time, so I do keep a valve core tool in my home-base tool box, and I use it seasonally to loosen and reset my valve cores. I also change these out when I change tires.

BlueGoo92[OP] likes this.
  25. Dec 15, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    I like tools which have multiple uses. I used my electric chainsaw to clear the road just yesterday, and used it last month to start my truck after I drained my battery. It is now my favorite tool.

WallyT4R likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top