1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to look out for with a 4th gen with 375k miles?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Jammin, May 17, 2020.

1. May 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    Jammin

Jammin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lloyd
    Vehicle:
    White 05 4 runner
    none
    Hi everyone. Thanks for letting me into your group. I have owned a few Toyota's form 98 Tacoma to 08 Hilux. I am about to buy a 05 4runner sr5 limited edition with 375,000 miles on it.
    I was looking for a little advise on what to look for with a truck of that year. The price I think is right but I am not sure what issues that year had I i would like to have an idea of what I am getting into.

2. Jul 20, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    DRBuck

DRBuck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Two thing my dealer mention on my 07 was the CV joints and the engine exhaust manifold gaskets. Both are labor intensive changes and expensive for the dealer to do.

3. Sep 2, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    Have a good mechanic check it out with a good ($5000) scan tool. Too many miles IMO.

I have 2005 4runner with 150,000 miles. Lower control arms and sway bars. Check for HG. AC compressors fail at 13 years. Evaporators fail too.

The body should have zero rust. Underneath should not be rusted through. Cars from up North are rust buckets = generally.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  4. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Unless you are getting it dirt cheap, I would pass. But if you do, make sure all maintenance has been kept up and definitely have it checked by a mechanic.

5. Sep 7, 2020 at 10:40 PM
    Kayakeur

Kayakeur New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Budster
    Vehicle:
    4Runner SR5 1999
    Pay a mechanic 100$ to check it out, eyes-on plus electronic analyzer. Worth every dime. Find a recommended independent repair shop ahead of time, ask them if they will and charge how much.(maybe not use word "inspect" Bec here in Virginia "inspect" is a state mandated safety inspection). You want mechanical evaluation. Transmission, engine , suspension , etc. Find a 4R you like,tell seller and take car there with or without seller. The mechanic's report (they should write) gives you bargaining info worth much more than mechanic's fee. I buy all my vehicles from private owners, always get mechanical check. The $___ bucks (especially in cash,plus I always tip mechanics. $20 handed discretely ahead of time to man who does the work - walk into shop, hand him a twenty ,"I appreciate your work. Thank you.", leave) will enable you to know what you're buying and peace of mind.
    My 2 cent fee waived. Ymmv.
    Budster Kayakeur

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top