1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to look for buying a retrofitted e-locker

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by bearslayer, May 1, 2018.

1. May 1, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    bearslayer

bearslayer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi, I am looking at a 2001 Limited 4wd that has a retrofitted e-locker installed and I haven't been able to find much information on how reliable a retrofit is. I've talked to the seller and he did the work himself which I know can be hit or miss. Is that something to just shy away from altogether or does anyone have pointers on what to look for to know whether the guy actually knew what he was doing?

Thanks

2. May 1, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    This is a relatively easy mod. I would question how it was wired. When I was looking to do this with my old truck I found 12voltguy.com had the best wiring solution. Others than wiring just make sure it engages. Do this in gravel or on grass.

3. May 1, 2018 at 7:31 PM
    bearslayer

Member:
    Well, he hasn't wired it yet. He installed it and apparently decided to sell before he wired it. Kinda throws some red flags for me but I'm still hopeful. If for some reason the E-locker doesn't work, will it affect the car? Other than the elocker not engaging of course. I know theoretically it shouldn't but I'm new to this and from the looks of things I'll have to buy the car and wire it myself before I can figure out if it works or not.

4. May 1, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yup red flag for me also as you described it. You can do some research on wiring it and it may help you get a positive answer about the locker when you go to look at it. You may be able to temporarily wire it to make sure the locker engages.

5. May 1, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    bearslayer

Member:
    Thanks. If I go look at it that's what I'll try and do. You said to test it on grass or gravel. What exactly am I looking for to be able to tell whether or not it is engaged?

6. May 2, 2018 at 6:27 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    If it is locked and you try to turn sharp while slowly moving forward, the rear tire which is on the inside of the turn will be obvious that it is still turning the same speed as the tire on the outside of the turn.

Do this in gravel or grass so the driveline doesn’t bind. You want wheel slip for this test.

Products Discussed in

To Top