1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to expect from the insurance adjuster

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by jerodsand, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Dec 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    jerodsand

jerodsand [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerod
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRD Off Road Premium | 1997 Toyota Tacoma
    3" ToyTec lift,
    Hi all,

I'm new to the 4runner forum. I recently had my parked 07 4runner smashed into and was looking for any info on how claims work. I recently had new CV axles, wheel bearings, and 3-inch lift installed. If they total the vehicle am I out all that cash for the aftermarket parts?

The damage doesn't look too bad at first. Rear axle is definitely bent. The width of the rear frame should be 41 inches according to Toyota's specs. The measurement I'm getting is 39.75 inches. This is why I'm worried that they will total the vehicle. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

rear4run.jpg
    rear4run2.jpg

2. Dec 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    jerodsand

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerod
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec lift,
    The car that hit me. The police officer said the 4runner was like a tank.

4runner roll.jpg

3. Dec 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    xdelmar

xdelmar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Currently San Felipe, Baja.
    Vehicle:
    Prospective buyer of 4th gen
    I want to travel and camp and will do Mod's necessary to do this with a 4runner.

4. Dec 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    How did the red car end up upside down? Everyone okay?

5. Dec 28, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    jerodsand

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerod
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec lift,
    thanks for the replies. I do have the receipts. I still need to look at the bluebook values. The lady in the red car had a pretty bad cut above her eye but was ok. We were all wondering how the car flipped over too. The lady said she swerved to miss another parked car. She must have overcorrected and hit my 4runner at just the right angle.

6. Dec 29, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    Batmango66

Batmango66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tye
    N.E. Hoosier Land
    Vehicle:
    2006 Limited
    '06 Limited V8 Shadow Mica | USB Charger | OCD Console Organizer| Int. LEDs | Always on Fogs Mod | added LED strip light foot well | Smokers kit | Always on 115v | Always on 12v Cig. Lighter Mod | By-passed TPS | Wind Deflectors | 3/2 Corn Fed | 18" Moto Metal MO962 0 offset with General Grabber AT2 275/65's | Bilstein 5100's | 15% tint min. | 22" LED Light Bar Behind lower Grill | TINMANS Awesome Front Cup Holder. Yeah, I know it's mostly convenience and looks...
    If the repairs add up to about 1/2 of blue book, they will total it. If there truly is frame damage, they will total it, even if "minor". I know for a fact that a 10yo vehicle, the first thing they will try, is to total it. This is where the importance of true BB value and ALL receipts comes in. Sadly, you could fight them for BB value and new parts that have been installed but "wear items" items are a different story. unless the part(s) are less than a couple months old, no matter if it's an upgrade or if it's tires, etc. if it's older than a few months, it won't matter if it's a $1000 lift or a $10 sticker, it won't add any value (according to the insurance co.). Wear items vary by insurance company too, so there is no definite answer there. I would prepare for a fight if you really do want to keep the rig, most insurance companies will allow you to by it back but, it will be at a loss to you 99% of the time. I like delmars brainstorming about finding the salvage yard that it would go to but again, you'll more likely than not be buying it at a loss to you. When there is a personal injury (thank goodness there wasn't) you do have more fighting power but most companies are pretty well set on vehicle value to loss. If you have full coverage, your insurance company will do the work for you and typically get a better value than you going against the insurance company. It's no fun and I wish you luck, the sad thing is, it's your vehicle and you have an attachment to it but, it's just another car to the insurance company...

Products Discussed in

To Top