1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What MSRP discount did you get on a Trail Premium?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TejasRunner, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Aug 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    TejasRunner

TejasRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,

I am looking for a good deal on a Trail Premium. I am trying to set my expectations on the supply/demand economics of this particular trim level. With that in mind, how much did you get in terms of a discount off MSRP? I am looking for a silver base Trail Premium with no options though Gulf States Region puts something on nearly everything.

I could live with the SR5 Premium 4x4, but I prefer the interior of the Trail Premium.

Thanks for any information you have on the transactions you completed. Oh, and please don't provide the OTD price unless you get really detailed on your trade, state sales tax, and all of the lines items that go into it. Discount off list would be most beneficial to me.

Thanks again

2. Aug 31, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    It's complicated, as any car deal is :/ How much did I get off? I can't give you an exact number and the dealer probably couldn't either. It's because a trade was involved, and they can push the price on the trade around to get the numbers to line up.

To answer the question as simple as possible, probably $1200 - $1500 tops, but probably closer to $1200.

There's much less markup in a new car than there is in a used car. If you're just walking in to buy with nothing to trade, I'd say this is likely near the best you'll get off the sticker. They are popular, if you don't buy it, someone else likely will, so they aren't exactly giving them away.

However, since my dad sold cars for 30 years and still works at a dealership, here's the best advice I can give you to help you get the best deal.

1. Know what you'd be happy with BEFORE you go. Set a budget (monthly payments / price / etc.). Stick to your guns, but don't forget....
    2. There are 2 Sales going on. The vehicle, and the financing / warranty. So many people tell me that they are gonna drop cash for a car and that will make the dealer go nuts. It really won't. In fact, it will have the opposite effect.
    a. The sales person makes money on the sale of the vehicle.
    b. The finance guy makes money on the sale of accessories, warranties, and if you use them to finance.
    They also shop multiple sources of credit, which often times allows companies to bid against each other to obtain the best rate to offer you. This is a good thing for you unless you're dead set on using X company to finance.​
    3. Know that for 6 years @ approx 3% interest, that every $1000 saved will drop your monthly payment approx $10.
    4. Spending 4 hours to save $500 more might be worth it, might not be. But either way, if you fight hard with the sales person, you'll be worn down by the time you get to the finance guy, and he'll crush you. Remember, the second round is the true hard sell.
    5. Sales people only make money if you buy from them. Instead of threatening to walk out, get this excited on the sale. They say salespeople are the easiest to sell to, and I agree.
    a. Against most logic you'll hear, I waited for 10 months to find a MGM Trail Premium at a dealership I liked. When it arrived I went there and walked and I'm not joking when I said, "I'll take the next sales person that comes up, and I'm going to buy that car (and pointed at it)." People say that gives all your leverage away but I had my truck traded, got $500 more than I wanted for it, and drove out of there in a new 4Runner in 2.5 hours. I'm SURE the sales person made money. But they work for a living. I got 2.36% interest for 72 months and my payment was $476 / mo. I needed $450 - $500 to do the deal, I was dead smack where I wanted to be. I was happy with the deal so who cares if I could have argued for 3 more hours to save $500 to make my note $5/mo cheaper. I knew what I wanted and I got it.
    Seriously, you'll do great, but walk in there ready to buy, ready to be honest about what you want, and be upfront with what you need in order to make the deal work. They want to make money, so make them work for you. If you get a sleazy vibe, move along to another person or dealership.

alittleoff, Kilos, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aug 31, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    I paid what they listed it for, there are none around to be found locally, they had to bring one in a couple of states away :( The price they had was kind of a no haggle price so it really came down to how much I could get on trade in and we got over book value. Like mentioned above we had a monthly payment amount we were comfortable with and stuck to it and it was completed in less than an hour. Basically on the trail premiums if you didn't pay what they were asking then the next guy would. Now if you were looking for a Limited there was room to work as they had a lot of them, actually all the local lots had quite a few limiteds. We did use true car and we were right on the money out the door so we were pretty happy with that.

4. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    We got $500 off, but had our dealer pull ours from another dealer's build allocation so ours was basically 'ordered from the factory' and therefore hard to get a deal on since they got it for us specifically

5. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    The finance guys are easy to me. I don't buy shit from them and if I'm financing anything, I already have the financing approved before I walk into a dealer. Their only job is to beat my financing but I never disclose that until the sales price is already locked on paper.

6. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:30 PM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    I may end up going with a SR5 Premium. Better discounts here (north Texas) on them.

jester243[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    be sure you wont have buyers remorse by not getting the trail premium, nothing worse than spending lots of money only to wish you bought a different trim package for the next 10 years. I have seen a lot of guys on Tacomaworld trading trucks in after a really short time just because they didn't get the TRD or something and paying big $$$ in the end. Good luck and I cant wait to see what you end up with :thumbsup:

Relentless likes this.
  8. Aug 31, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Also another annoying argument you hear regarding 4x4 is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Buying something you don't plan to use isn't really good spending, but if you want to keep the vehicle 3 - 5 years and then upgrade, do the Trail if you can. The locker, 4x4, and all the other goodies will either hold the value you paid in for it (around $3k) or even maybe add a couple bucks down the line.

No car is an investment (that we can afford at least), but giving yourself an "out" if you're not sure about SUVs or the vehicle makes sense, and it's proven that 4Runners and Tacomas are the #2 and #1 value holding vehicles, especially the 4x4 models. The only other vehicle that comes close is a Jeep Wrangler, and there's a world of difference between what a Jeep is really meant to do and what a 4Runner does great, but not best in class.

We got the Trail Premium because other than the TRD PRo, which is mostly an appearance package if you plan to lift later on, it was top of the food chain and will command highest resale if you keep it 3 - 5 years. If you plan on keeping 10+ then it doesn't really matter much, but many people say I'll "Drive it till the wheels fall off" and later regret that boast. Be upfront with your expectations.

That said, I'm hoping to pay off this beast and have some fun modding it. The only more capable off road vehicle you can buy production is a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and my friend has one. He rode in mine and I rode in his. For the 95% of the time we are on the pavement, he absolutely regrets not having a 4Runner. And considering we do mild and medium trails, the 4Runner has always been able to keep up with his Rubicon.

9. Aug 31, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    I am definitely getting 4x4. And once you add the 4x4 option to the SR5 Premium, the price isn't too far removed from the Trail Premium. I'll find a deal on one. Calling my fav salesman in the morning.

10. Aug 31, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Good luck bud, I hope you find just what you want. It's unbearable to wait, but it's so rewarding to feel like you got just what you wanted.

jester243 likes this.
  11. Sep 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    Spoke with the guy I bought my 2013 Tacoma from. My Trail Premium is going to be discounted from a MSRP of $40,694 down to $37,400 which is a discount of $3,294. I'm pretty sure I am not going to beat that anywhere else. So it'll be a silver Trail Premium, black side steps, and the premium mats.

Working on the trade-in number now but I'm confident they'll hit the mark I want. They did last time when I traded for the Tacoma. You know, it really pays dividends to find a good salesperson and stay in touch with them for repeat business. Much less hassle and far better deals.

12. Sep 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Absolutely it does. I had a guy for many years and I just called him first. Trust is a key part of making it go smoothly and being happy with your deal.

I'd say $3294 off is a hell of a deal, and you get need get up on that ;)

13. Sep 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM
    jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    :eek:

[​IMG]

14. Sep 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    Definitely. We have already agreed on trade-in price sight unseen. It'll go up 500-1000 when I get it over to the dealership, but I am already happy with their quote. I should have the keys this time next week. It's at the port in Houston and needs to travel up here to north Texas. With the holiday Monday, that will delay it slightly.

15. Sep 2, 2016 at 7:08 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I live near there, I'll just go get it for you :) BRB.

Glad you got a deal you're happy with. Looking forward to seeing a few pics when you finally take the keys.

TejasRunner[OP] likes this.
  16. Sep 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    Keller

Keller New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keller
    So brand new user and I haven't actually bought the car but I did put a refundable deposit down on it (Hey, I got college football to watch)

2016 Trail premium with the KDSS, stupid running boards, floor mats and apparently a window tint. MSRP of 43,600 something. Got them give me a written quote at 40,500 with a remote start thrown in.

Should I take the plunge?

17. Sep 3, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Personally, skip the remote start, get $500 more off (price of remote start), and go get a Compustar remote start. Hands down it's better in every way than the factory one.

Factory Remote Start:
    Poor Range
    Turns off When you open the door. So you'll always have to start the vehicle twice, once remotely, and once when you sit down.

Compustar:
    3/4 mile range
    Will stay running when you open door, so when it starts itself you'll not have to start it again later. Just put in key, turn it to "On" and drive.
    Some have a Pitstop feature which, while running, you can activate the remote start, it will beep to confirm, and you can remove the key while keeping the vehicle on. Then you can get out, lock the door, run into the store, and the truck never shut off. When you return, unlock door, turn key to "on" and continue driving.

Boosthx and jester243 like this.
  18. Sep 3, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    To answer your other question, I think that's a good price indeed for the KDSS models, with a Tint and floor mats (all weather i'm assuming).

19. Sep 10, 2016 at 3:14 AM
    TejasRunner

Member:
    Picked mine up yesterday.image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top