1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is Toyota 4Runner's competition?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Sep 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Why? Really, what's the difference other than wierd bragging rights?

IMO it's basically irrelevant for a vehicle with a 5k towing capacity.

2. Sep 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Worse 4WD I've ever had!!!! Cost more in repairs than the payments totaled for the first year we had it! REAL POS!!!

3. Sep 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Sure, until parts start breaking off.

It's pretty well documented the BOF is ideal for off-road use. Aside from that, a unibody 4Runner would be a Highlander.

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 18, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    surfermonkey

surfermonkey New Member

Member:
    3rd gen Mitsubishi Montero Disagrees.

nonuniform and Trail Runnah like this.
  5. Sep 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    So, you consider the 3rd gen Montero to be the most capable off-road vehicle ever?

6. Sep 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    surfermonkey

surfermonkey New Member

Member:
    How does "best off-road vehicle ever" come from the dispute that bof is ideal??

The Montero rides better than and handily beats land cruisers and 4runners on some off-road obstacles. The Montero obliterated the competition for 8 years at Dakar starting in 2001. Given some off-road conditions, it can tackle things better than some other vehicles and is a unibody design.

I'm not arguing it's always the ideal or best, otherwise I would only have a Montero, but I have a Montero and a 4runner for reasons.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    So what was the point of your other post? All I said was that BOF was ideal for off-road use. Unless you consider the Montero Superior to BOF 4×4's, your post didn't make any sense.

8. Sep 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    I get why Wrangler is not a competitor (SA) but why isn't Bronco a competitor? The roof? I think Bronco is as close at they come as gar as 4Runner competition. And before the fanbois get excited I'm not taking about reliability here.

DRobs, Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Sep 18, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    Just saw this bad boy.

20210918_113638.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Sep 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I agree! Mechanically, they're very similar.

I would say that based solely on specs, the Bronco is more capable off-road.

Reliability is TBD, but my money's on the 4runner.

:)

11. Sep 18, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    A modified third generation 4Runner will go anywhere that expensive toy called Bronco will go. The Bronco is just a show off, just like the stupid Raptor.
    Raptor, even the name is stupid and dumb for a truck.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 18, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    I guess 450hp( r trim projected for 750 hp), stock on 35's and fox suspension is dumb? :crapstorm:

13. Sep 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
  14. Sep 18, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Yes, it is dumb. Why do you need 750 horsepower? For what? Why do you need Turbo charging? Go ahead and supercharge the 5.7 Tundra, and run circles around this stupid Raptor. Ask Dodge what happens when you supercharge a big V8, their Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is insanity.

15. Sep 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    Wasn't talking about dodge or jeep. I know of several law enforcement agencies that use raptors for Bureau of Land Management contracts and dune patrol vehicles. They serve a purpose and are a purpose built pickup. Not saying that everybody who ones uses them for what they're made for, but in my eyes they serve a purpose. I don't think I've ever heard anybody complaining about a vehicle having too much hp. To each their own I suppose.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  16. Sep 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    Lol. You're not really asking a question. You're just looking for someone to argue with. Nice choice going with KDSS though.

17. Sep 18, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I will baby my 4Runner and the kdss, and I think I will be fine. Kdss is a big deal to me, so even if it breaks which it will, I will have the saved up money to replace it.

18. Sep 18, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Your point?

A modified 3rd gen 4Runner will also go anywhere a 50k+ TRD Pro will go.

A modified 2k XJ Cherokee will go further than either of those will go.

nonuniform and Doglover2003 like this.
  19. Sep 18, 2021 at 2:40 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Why is BOF ideal?

Unless you're welding a custom suspension to it, I submit it doesn't matter. Just look at modified ZJ/XJ/WJs and tell me they're not capable.

Look up Matt's Off-Road Recovery on YT and watch an "inferior" XJ Cherokee rescue Toyota after Toyota from stuck situations.

As far as the Highlander, it's arguably superior to the 4R in every way other than offroad capability. Add a solid rear axle and low range to the Highlander, they'd be pretty comparable.

For the lives that 99% of 4Runners lead, BOF is irrelevant. Ask the average owner, and I'd wager they don't even know what that is.

JerryC, 4scooter19 and DRobs like this.
  20. Sep 18, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    And so will a stock 5th gen OR.

This isn't my opinion. It's a fact. I'm not going to spoon feed you the answer. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Like I said before, they're plenty capable until parts start breaking.

100% agreed.

Agreed again. But, for the ones who are more concerned with off-road capability, the 4Runner is the better vehicle.

7385 and The last breed[OP] like this.
  21. Sep 18, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    No. I live in north Florida, about 80 miles from either coast. Never had any rust issues on any of my vehicles. Many years ago, I lived about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico and was constantly fighting rust, but not bad here. $500 is well worth it if you're in an area where rust's a problem.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Sep 18, 2021 at 11:54 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS

I 100% disagree. Unibody and CVT tranny's are the car makers' way of saving money by cheapening the vehicle's design. Google "death wobble" on any Jeep. It's a result of a unibody design with a lift kit installed.

BTW, you normally don't "weld" a lift kit on. If you do, you're generally doing something wrong.

Comparing a Highlander to a 4Runner regarding off road capabilities? BOF is irrelevant????? The Highlander is superior in every way?!?!? You do understand that the Highlander is basically a Camry with a lift and a larger body on it?

I'm trying to not be insulting, but I can't remember the last time I've seen such nonsense. I am guessing you believe this because you don't own a 4Runner?

BTW, Matt's Towing does not use a stock XJ...not by a long shot. You need to select another source to back your assertion of how great a unibody is.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  23. Sep 19, 2021 at 12:39 AM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    Why do you need KDSS? Im guessing for the same reason someone needs a 750 hp pickup. Because it's your vehicle and you get to decide what you want to pay for. I don't see the difference. They are both options for vehicles that the owner gets to decide if they want. For you to say a raptor is dumb because it has too much power or is potentially unreliable would be the same as me telling you a 4runner with KDSS is dumb because its going to fail at some point. Like I said before though, to each their own.

Doglover2003 and Thatbassguy like this.
  24. Sep 19, 2021 at 1:52 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    This thread is over with 1 answer:
    Every manufacturer besides Toyota who can get your money.

Comparing a Jeep xj or tj to a 4Runner is like comparing an Apple to an Orange. Comparing a Ford Bronco to 4Runner is like comparing an Apple to a Peach. In the end they are all a fruit.
    All these vehicles go off-roading so who cares. Go explore and see Gods vast creation.

On the argument of bof vs unibody:
    I am glad up see everyone has an opinion on bof vs. unibody. I am going to leave this right here…
    https://www.autolist.com/guides/body-on-frame-vs-unibody

In the end is this just a pissing contest to prove who is right? See which vehicles make it further off-road? Facts are facts and I hope the above helps. BOF is superior off-roading as stated in the article for the reasons stated in the article. Not saying you can’t off-road a unibody. But I have seen unibody get tweaked and they are no fun repairing. The same obstacle for a bof was nothing and no damage was taken. But frames are no fun to straighten either. Buy the vehicle that suits your purpose. Matt’s off-road recovery has a unibody and the new morvair is a bof. Either way you look at it those cars are not stock.

If I told you my SR5 will run circles around a stock TRD pro would people just frail and say no you don’t gave this xyz feature and you have an electric transfer case vs manual on TRD? Who really cares? Because there are 1000 better off-road vehicles. I still don’t understand the purpose of this thread to be honest.

The purpose of your rig is different than the purpose of my rig (mine was built to not only go deep off-roading, but to look good, and to prove you get more bang for your buck vs what you can buy from Toyota).

In the end as it has been stated 99% of 4Runners will never see more than some dirt roads (if that). Unibody is great for those people. Heck I bet most owners don’t even put their 4runner in 4wd per manufacture recommendations. They probably don’t even know what it is or how to use it.

I had a neighbor who had a unibody. He spent more time trying to make that thing work for off-reading but he doesn’t care. He has $4k into the car (+ a bunch of time) and if it blows up or runs into a tree he doesn’t care. So he will run that thing harder than I will ever run my rig. I care if I get a dent. He doesn’t.

The lack of maturity on some of these posts by calling Raptors stupid. I feel like I am talking to my 7 year old… good for you. You have a right to that opinion. Don’t buy one and let others who want/need it buy it. I agree there are people who buy that truck just because they have the money and want to flaunt it but will never use it for what it was meant to do. But they have that right. I don’t agree with it and I think it is nonsense but as stated to each their own.

25. Sep 19, 2021 at 2:08 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I disagree. I'd love to hear your list, though. I bet you can't even name 10.

As far as the purpose of this forum; it's just a place to share ideas and BS, even if we don't all agree on everything.

I do agree with the majority of your post.

26. Sep 19, 2021 at 2:22 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    This made me laugh! And then I googled pictures of an AMC Pacer and laughed even more! :rofl:

alittleoff[QUOTED] and glwood54 like this.
  27. Sep 19, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    There are at least 1000 vehicles out there that are better for off-reading. I wasn’t talking about from a manufacturer. This included custom built rigs you wouldn’t buy from a dealership. Each build serving its own purpose.

anyways… you asked for 10 so here is more than 10:
    1. Sherp
    2. Jeep Trailcat
    3. Senator APC
    4. Marauder
    5. H1
    6. Ripsaw EV3
    7. Rezvani
    8. Hilux
    9. Unimog
    10. Viking 1992
    11. Jeep jk with LS swap and Dana 60 axles
    12. Corvair and xj on Matt’s off-road recovery
    13. Monster mint 400
    14. Most baja trucks with suspension alone out pricing the 4Runner msrp even with modern markup pricing
    15. McQueen Baja Boot

Should I go on? I am sure youtube has custom rock crawlers as well and more than 1/2 of those would be better off-roading than the 4Runner. But again what are we comparing these things against? Like the Viking 1992 tops out at 42mph (I believe). Not really practical as an everyday vehicle. Neither is the Sherp. But they are better at off-roading. Heck those things are boats if you want to go on the lake or anything and go fishing (which I know you would like). But 4Runner is a GREAT vehicle that has a lot of capability from the manufacturer and can be an everyday vehicle (I assume that is why we all bought one). Within less than 24 hours of getting my 4Runner I already had pinstripes from off-roading. No time wasted to before putting the vehicle to work. I would say if you want a quality vehicle from the manufacturer you can’t go wrong with a 4Runner. But again what are we basing our vehicles off of? It isn’t an f-350, hellcat, or gt3. It is a 4Runner with an off-road capability that is comparable to Jeep or Ford. But more than likely more longevity (depending on how well it is taken care of).

28. Sep 19, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    So are we talking stock competition or modified?

29. Sep 19, 2021 at 5:40 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I thought you meant street legal vehicles, and in stock form. Of course a specialized vehicle like a Sherpa or a custom build will outperform a 4Runner. This is like saying a Nascar is a better sports car than a Miata.

So, by your own logic, a SAS'd 4runner with Dana 60's and 37's could fall somewhere in that 1000 as well.

Heck, my 4Runner should be on that list as well since it's better off-road than a stock 4runner.

30. Sep 19, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Exactly!

7385 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top