1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the future of gas?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:02 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    Elon Musk is the Lord and savior of some, he is God incarnate for them, he is saving the planet through electric vehicles. But I'm wondering why God incarnate Elon Musk left California for Texas. Texas is where all the blasphemers live, no? :D

2. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:10 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I can't wait for the day when my job pays enough, I will be driving around in a Ram 2500 Diesel, to just piss off these planet lovers.

3. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:10 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    Oh hell no, it is all bible-thumpers here in Tejas, praise Jesus!

4. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:12 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, but you folks are blasphemers according to the religion of Muskism. It's different that Musk wants to be in Texas, but wants his worshippers to stay in California and sacrifice for their faith :D

BionicRandy[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:16 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    You probably will not have a choice.

Years ago people may have said exactly the same thing about automobiles vs horses, steamships vs sail, etc.

There's nothing inherently great about international combustion engines other than convenience and they're the status quo.

EVs tech will get better and better, and eventually it (or some other renewable) will eventually replace the ICE and become the status quo.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    nimby and BionicRandy like this.
  6. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Gas cars will not go extinct in my lifetime. I will keep driving them, I just like them, personal preference

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:18 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I'm much more worried about housing costs than gas. I can afford a few extra bucks a gallon for fuel, however the average home price rising 100k over the past year most likely permanently prices me and a helluva lot of others out of the market.

8. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:23 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    The oil companies have plenty of existing leases to drill. They just prefer to focus on giving dividends to investors rather than investing in new production capacity.

9. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    These gas prices are absolutely artificial. Big Tech and Elon Musk worshippers cannot pressurize us like this! Elon Musk wants us to drive electric, and Mark Zuckerberg wants us to live in the metaverse. Screw these MFs!!!

Deuxdiesel likes this.
  10. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    True. But, electric cars have a way to go. I'd be happy to have an electric vehicle once they figure out a better power supply.

Housing costs are definitely screwing up my plans right now. Places I was looking at not long ago have more than doubled in price! :confused:

But, short term, fuel prices are a bigger problem for me.

11. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    They are going to develop and make available batteries that will have all the power you need to run an EV at full power for months. As the technology advances, the speed at which it advances also increases. The batteries are coming real soon. It is still going to take a shit load of fossil fuels to mine the stuff to make them, but all concerns of battery ineptitude will soon be a thing of the past.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  12. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Yes but I want to drive a gas car, I love the smell, I love the noise of an engine. I should have the freedom to drive one. If the West Coast pisses me off and tries to force me go electric, then I will move to the most conservative state with the least amount of BS. Elon Musk loves operating Tesla from Texas, but he wants his sheep fans to live in California. These Hypocrites make me feel sick to my stomach

13. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Agree EV's have a long way to go. They'll get there though, eventually.

Fuel costs definitely hurt in the short term, it cost me 66 bucks last week to get back and forth to work. That's less money I have to put in the local economy or to save for my future.

The housing costs though, that's effecting literally the rest of my life. I thought I was finally on the right track with a plan, but now the numbers do NOT work.

Prices at the pump are discouraging, prices on Zillow are crushing.

Singleminded and BionicRandy like this.
  14. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    I want to have both! The electric cars are badass. Hehe The left coast doesn’t force anyone into electrics. Via incrementalism the people have made the decision themselves, by being gradually brainwashed to the point that they are fanatical about the dangers of fossil fuels and the effects of man on climate change, in spite of the mountains (literally) of evidence that climate change, whether trends of warming or cooling, is/has been/will always be a constant on the planet regardless how many cows fart or how many Cummins per day “blow coal”. This is not a political post. This is a simple observation of what has taken place and continues to take place.

15. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I'm really hoping housing costs come back down some. I assume they will, but with higher interest. It's definitely going to have a major impact on my future.

I put $116 in gas in my work truck on Monday, and $109 yesterday morning. Luckily, this is company provided. But, it ultimately comes out of raises and bonuses.

It's about $70 to fill the 4Runner (for now), and trails are ~200 miles away. I also regularly visit family about 250 miles away. It's going to be an expensive summer!

16. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Sorry but electric cars don't attract me a bit. I love red meat, and I love gas cars, there are no alternatives to them.

17. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:54 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    Lots of goodies
    I saw a clip the other day of some dude saying that almost 40% of the money ever printed in the U.S. was printed in the last 12 months. If that is true, the inflation is here to stay and the only correction(s) to the market will be higher interest rates and/or severe devaluation of the dollar.
    Tips: 1. Invest in firearms companies. Sales are through the roof. I work in that industry and I can’t take a fkn day off. LOL
    2. Buy rubles right now
    3. Buy bitcoin. Every week. $5, $80 whatever you can afford. Buy it, sit on it.

18. Mar 13, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I have been investing in firearms, but in a different way. :D

19. Mar 13, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    It won't be that long before buying electric is a no brainer. I'll miss the sounds of internal combustion. But when you can go 1,000 miles on a charge, get a full charge in 20-30 min at your local station, charge anytime you want in your own home, use your car to power your house for days during a power failure, have almost no regular maintenance like oil changes, zip 0-60 in about 3 sec, have vehicle configurations that get you off-road and other kinds of abilities that are hard to get now -- and all while producing less pollution on net while also having less reliance on the global oil market -- well that's going to be awfully hard to say no to.

It's on the horizon. We're much of the way there already. Look at Lucid for 500-plus mile ranges, plus incredible speed and charging times. The Hummer and F150 for amazing capabilities, and the F150 for powering camp and worksites and even your whole house in a blackout. And that's all before the next leap in battery tech, which promises to greatly increase range, reduce charge times, and increase safety by going solid state.

Now if we can just run them without a f*cking connection to the internet!

BionicRandy and ElectroBoy like this.
  20. Mar 13, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Welcome to Destination F*cked.

It's a lose/ lose no matter what happens. Prices may come down a tad, but interest rates are going to go up, meaning it's going to be even more expensive. From all the articles that I've read, nobody's expecting prices to drop much at all, merely to stabilize and the higher interest rates may stop some of the bidding wars.

I read an article recently, I can't remember the exact numbers but basically for every 1% rate hike, your payment increase is a couple hundred dollars per month and about a hundred grand in additional interest over the course of a 30year loan. Since most people are going to have a fixed amount that they can afford per month, this basically is now degrading your buying power.

And while people are struggling with these higher interest rates, Black Rock and all these other private equity scumbags will keep buying up these homes for cash, continuing their quest to make this a nation of renters.

You'll own nothing and be happy.

But not everybody's doing bad. At least once a week I see on social media the local realtor posting about some multi-million dollar property that just sold. Earlier this week a 9.5 million dollar property sold, last week it was a 6 million dollar property.

I'm just so over it. All this is just mentally crushing, and I just feel like things are trending toward hopelessness for a lot of people in this country. Seems like things just get worse and worse, whenever there's a little glimmer of hope, fate comes along with another kick in the nuts.

Edit: sorry to get so far off track with this, I'm just in a mood lol.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    2Toys, Singleminded and LandCruiser like this.
  21. Mar 13, 2022 at 8:09 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    I’ll probably be filling up my 991.1 at the last gas station in California in 2035… if it lasts that long. It has 145,000 hard miles on it.

22. Mar 13, 2022 at 8:22 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

Yeah, it doesn't look great right now. I hope things can turn around, but there's so much going on right now.

23. Mar 13, 2022 at 8:37 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    The dilemma of high mortgage interest rates vs housing prices is nothing new. Todays rates of ~3.5% are nothing. In the mid 1980s I bought my first home. The interest rate on a 30 year fixed, FHA loan was 13.5%. I struggled and scrimped to make payments, refinancing several times over the years when the rates dropped, eventually down to a more reasonable and affordable 8%.
    Be thankful for what you have.

BionicRandy likes this.
  24. Mar 13, 2022 at 8:46 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    An actual rundown shit shack 800 square-foot house about a quarter of a mile from my place just sold for 1.2 million.

The place is an actual dump.

2Toys, Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. Mar 13, 2022 at 8:57 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Yeah, it’s wild. The land is so valuable that the house will be demolished, except for one exterior wall, and rebuilt into the largest McMansion possible that zoning allows.

26. Mar 13, 2022 at 9:01 PM
    qcTRDct

qcTRDct New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP KDSS
    What's CCC? I'm guessing California?

27. Mar 13, 2022 at 9:04 PM
    LandCruiser

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    East Bay Area (Contra Costa County).

2Toys likes this.
  28. Mar 13, 2022 at 9:11 PM
    qcTRDct

qcTRDct New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP KDSS
    Ohhhh yeah that makes sense everything is crazy money out there. Same inCT though

29. Mar 14, 2022 at 1:47 AM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    My fuel costs at the moment for a month is literally twice as much as my mortgage :notsure::notsure::notsure:. I did my new budget last weekend because I was noticing my account drop. Fuel costs have literally doubled.

It’s cheaper for me to skip a day at work each week than for me to work 10 hours. Or I can pick up an extra day of straight overtime and still not get all my money back. Weird times.

I’m currently at $3600 a month for fuel between both cars (Kia Sorento and 4Runner).

$5.79 for regular this morning.

30. Mar 14, 2022 at 1:50 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    I think you need to limit that 4Runner to trails only. $3,600, Holy Moly!!!! And trade that Kia for a Sienna Hybrid.

Products Discussed in

To Top