1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the future of gas?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by The last breed, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Oct 22, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    The biggest reason why hydrogen-combustion engines are no good? They create nitrogen oxide, which isn't good for people or the environment. Even though carbon isn't part of the hydrogen combustion process, NOx isn't a compromise as automakers look to zero-emission vehicles.

2. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    thermorex

thermorex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Name Redacted
    Swamp area
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD PRO
    Yes, that EO is more a virtue signaling, I have no idea how a truck can be made to get 38mpg for example... unless it is totally worthless and can't tow more than a cart dolly... It's all politics and optics, in the meantime China's industry emits 2x carbon than US, air quality in US is among the best in the world and air pollution in US dropped by 70% in past 40 years while more miles are driven per capita (which is great news btw). Green energy is not yet as evolved to be reliable, solar panels get broken by hail, wind turbines freeze (remember what happened in TX this winter), the only one more reliable is geothermal which costs a fortune... so how will we charge those EVs? When in CA they turn off the power due to too much consumption, lol... And BTW, aren't CA gov vehicles exempt from pollution requirements? Which is kind of funny... Plus processing that lithium for batteries is also a very dirty process and far from being "green". I am all for no pollution, but when you are being asked to starve in the name of no pollution, it becomes a sick propaganda on par with communism and Nazism.

dougfresh, brownersd, mac1usa and 4 others like this.
  3. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    thermorex

thermorex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Name Redacted
    Swamp area
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD PRO
    You pack a generator and few canisters of fuel to charge the EV, right? :rofl:

4. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    thermorex

thermorex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Name Redacted
    Swamp area
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD PRO
    EVs are great for short distances. go to work, plug in, drive, go to a store, plug in, etc. But, till charging the batteries does not drop to under 10 minutes for 300miles range, they are horrible for long distance drive. Infrastructure is horrible also, it is hard getting a charger outside of big cities. And not only charging when not at home, but charging when you are home, is the electric infrastructure ready for a big spike in consumption? I am sure in time it will get better, and also the battery tech will improve, but till then, EVs are not a feasible way to do long commutes, not even mentioning towing. Regarding range, it is probably as useless as the MPG rating. usually a gasser gets about half of its normal mileage when towing and a diesel gets 2/3rds. An EV gets about 20-30% range when towing, this is from TFL with their tesla suv. Very promising technology though, but not there yet IMO.

5. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    Actually we will need a super heavy duty pickup truck that runs on diesel, and it will tow a giant generator that runs on gasoline to go and charge the EV that broke down on the highway lol

JerryC and thermorex[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    Dick_Hammerbusch

Dick_Hammerbusch New Member

Member:
    We are Championship
    Vehicle:
    21 Pho Runnah Nighshade
    None
    Sheesh, the SF Bay Area is closing in on $5.00 for 89 grade fuel. Thank goodness I now WFH and don't commute 50+ miles to and from work anymore. I'd be at Chevron every other day.

7. Oct 22, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    thermorex

thermorex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Name Redacted
    Swamp area
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD PRO
    I think you can still slow charge it on 120V, lol, not sure how much juice you'd get in an hour though... But for fast charge at 480V, definitely a big diesel gen...

8. Oct 22, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Hey, don't all the "overlanders" already carry extra gasoline, water, food, batteries, solar panels, jump packs, emergency gear?
    It'll be the same when driving EVs for long distance on pavement. It'll be an adventure, be prepared. ;)

Such worry. The electrification of transportation will be a slow evolution. We'll all be dead before ICE and gasoline is gone.

9. Oct 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    I love all overglampers have 40 gallons of gasoline in Jerry cans stuck to the outside of their vehicle to go a quarter of a mile down a dirt road less than 20 miles from the nearest gas station.

10. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    BroRunner

BroRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition
    Maybe the emergency roadside kit for EV's should include a little wind turbine and/or solar panel. haha

The fast "super chargers" for EV's also reduce the battery life quite a bit. The batteries lose their storage capacity with time anyhow - that's like having a shrinking gas tank in your car. I shrunk mine with a sizeable dent but that's a different story.

thermorex and The last breed[OP] like this.
  11. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    This is so true. I got a bunch of friends in the Oil and Gas industry and they were worried about their jobs. I told them to go ahead and finish your career just don't let your kids go into it. His kid was born 2 months ago for reference.

People need something to worry about and this seems like a distraction, so here we are.

The last breed[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    :amen:

13. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Oh so wrong. People are traveling more so demand is up. This simply means oil companies can charge more. We are still producing 80% of our oil. That hasn't changed one bit. The pipeline that was shutdown was for tar sands oil which the US doesn't even use. It goes overseas.

This article explains it well. https://wcti12.com/newsletter-daily...utm_guid=8281cb09-bfd9-44fd-aaf9-4e532c52dc6f

14. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
  15. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    On your second point: They've been doing that since the 70's. Then, it was "We're going into an ice age, caused by particulate emissions!! We're all going to die!" Still feels pretty comfortable to me. Did right on through the 80's. Well, I was in Yuma, so not exactly comfortable, but you get the idea.
    In the 90's, it was "We're causing global warming. Dozens of countries will be totally submerged by 2000! We're all going to die!!" How many countries do you know of are submerged, 22 years later? Hell, even San Francisco and New York, the two they always pointed to, forget New Orleans, aren't even getting their homeless hordes damp.
    Now, it's "We're causing unspecified climate change! If we don't go electric everything, we're all going to die!!" "From what?" "You're a climate denier and a racist!!" "I am? News to me." "SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN!!!!"

It'll never stop. I just giggle, eat some more popcorn, and watch. Better than any TV show I've ever seen :D
    The rest sort of flows from all that, really.
    Have fun while you can, all. OH, gas here in Klamath Falls is averaging $3.50/gal, just so you know. That was what it was in Yuma when I left in 06. It bounces back and forth...

Take care folks!
    Pat☺

16. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars New Member

Member:
    Not long ago I saw a video that showed clips of interviews (various people of different walks) during the last 60 years I think it was. The point was that every decade sees people talking about essentially the same issues, but thinking their issues are more unique and serious than the previous decade's. Was interesting.

Also recently saw a graph of fuel prices over the last 40-50 years adjusted for inflation and it was pretty much linear, but it was the only one I saw so I didn't corroborate it with any others.

17. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    werlyb23

werlyb23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 TRDOR CM Tundra
    lol...most delusional statement i've read in years

BroRunner likes this.
  18. Oct 22, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Have personally seen it selling for under .15c a gallon and over $5.00 in my lifetime, and the conversation is, always the same.

19. Oct 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Yes, facts are delusional.

trlhiker likes this.
  20. Oct 22, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    The last breed

The last breed [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    We need Politics section on this board guys :)

21. Oct 22, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    BourbonNcigars

Member:
    Ummm...usually not a great idea on a forum.

22. Oct 22, 2021 at 4:14 PM
    BroRunner

BroRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition
    The fact is under Obama the US became energy independent and became a net oil exporter for the first time (thanks to the development of shale oil and fracking). The US was finally able to turn back a no export policy from the Carter era. Now the US is effectively turning its back on its own oil production and losing its energy independence.

The "tar sands" is a media name used to make things sound as bad as possible. The "oil sands" oil is refined in the USA and is a very similar crude assay to what comes out of Venezuela. Yes a bunch of the oil is just sent for further export and not refined in the US.

Yes demand is increasing now so that affects pricing. So does the fact that not much investment was made in the last 2 years to maintain oil production due to lock downs etc. So no it is not a simple answer as to why gas prices are rising but yes politics plays a huge role in this.

23. Oct 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
  24. Oct 22, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    BourbonNcigars

Member:
    You got that right. Unfortunately the media (which I no longer have anything to do with) knows this all too well and will always keep the world in a state of panic for personal gain.

thermorex likes this.
  25. Oct 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I've read a fair amount of interesting books on the philosophy of people. Not politics, not even about the US (a lot of the studies from the books context from from a thousand years ago to modern, but mostly other countries, because the US didn't exist until about 200 years ago).

A really interesting one is called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson and explores the psychological impacts of problems, how they shape our lives, and how we all deal with problems, but prioritizing those problems into ones you can solve, can't solve, want to solve, and don't want to solve are really important. The phrase "first world problems" is derived from this type of concept.

We really do need something to occupy our attention, it's a common tactic ranging at LEAST to the Roman empire of gladiators, but it really goes way back. The idea is, keep the masses from working together so the "ruling" authority can operate under the guise of benevolence.

Make no mistake, we are not talking about the US. We are not talking about divisive politics. This is philosophy of leadership (or rather authoritative management).

Anyways, I don't really have a point here or anything to contribute, just figured a few people might get a kick out of my sarcasm and maybe read that book.

TLDR: Don't take the world so seriously, don't take the affect others have on you so seriously, and they tend to lose their influence. Also, and this is key. STOP PUTTING FAITH IN PEOPLE IN POWER. They have very little more understanding of how the world works than you do, if any.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  26. Oct 22, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    “In every life we have some trouble
    When you worry you make it double
    Don't worry, be happy”

— Bobby McFerrin

27. Oct 22, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    ^ Fixed this for you

auspilot likes this.
  28. Oct 22, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
  29. Oct 22, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I heard we’re almost to $7 in Cali already.

30. Oct 22, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69

Products Discussed in