1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the 4runner 'Limited' Classified as?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by gkomo, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    So my wife and I are planning on trading/selling my 2014 Access Cab Tacoma for a SUV as we have a baby coming up and the Access Cab configuration can't support a rear facing car seat. I'm a Toyota guy, my parents have a 2005 v8 4runner Limited that's been great. I'm pretty dead set on a new Limited model. Our needs are AWD/4x4 for snow purposes... no real off-roading capability required, and 3rd row would be nice to have. However, my wife (understandably, I suppose) wants to see what all her options are. Our budget is at or under $50k.

So I'm duckduckgo'ing my way through reviews and lists and searching for "best midsize SUV under $50k", "Best luxury SUV under $50k", etc. etc. and like no where to be found is the 4runner Limited. It's like non-existent in anything that comes up.

Here's a couple examples from lists i've found:
    "Best luxury SUVs under $50k"
    - Lexus RX (price jumps a bit when you get the trim you ACTUALLY want)
    - Lincoln Nautilus (don't really want a Lincoln)
    - Volvo XC90 (again, price jumps significantly when you price the trim you ACTUALLY want - otherwise i really like the Volvo)
    - Lincoln Corsair (don't really want a Lincoln)
    - Audi Q5
    - Mercedes GLC (not really a Mercedes fan)
    - BMW X3
    - Acura MDX (probably nice, don't like the styling though)

"Best SUVs under 50k"
    - Subaru Forester (just no)
    - Jeep Wrangler (don't want a Jeep)
    - VW Atlas (had a Jetta, prob wouldn't buy another VW again and don't like the styling)
    - Ford Explorer (styling isn't bad but worried about reliability)
    - 4runner (lists base model, but I think the Limited is in a league above this list)
    - Jaguar e-Pace
    - BMW X3
    - Mercedes GLC (only bottom of the line trim under $50k and don't want a MB)
    - Audi Q5
    - Alpha Romeo Stelvio (not confident in AR and don't know anything about them)

There are many more lists available these are just some examples.

So as the title says, what exactly is the Limited 4runner classified as? Is it considered a "luxury SUV" or just an optioned out 4runner in the context of these reviews/lists. It's hard for me to find an apples to apples comparison of specifically the Limited trim 4runner against other brands offerings. Like right now the Audi Q5 seems like the most comparable model but I think its too small.

Any thoughts on how to find a good comparison for the Limited 4runner specifically against comparable offerings? Again, I'm rooting for a Limited 4runner but also gotta present my case to the wife, lol.

Thanks!

2. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    The 4Runner is kind of it’s own animal. I believe it’s the only body on frame SUV out there so you can’t really compare it to anything else. The limited is still an SUV, just a trim option. The audi and 4Runner I would consider to be in two totally different groups. All the SUV’s you listed I personally would keep away from, especially the german vehicles. The 4Runner is known for its reliability, not luxury.

3. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    It's just weird I'm having such a hard time finding Limited specific comparisons. I can find comparisons to SR5's all day long, but I would say the Limited trim with its premium materials, additional features and entirely different suspension system is like a whole different SUV.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  4. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    We lucked into a 2019 SR5 Premium with 3rd Row seating and under 18K miles for $42K. Love it! 4Runners are one of the most popular SUVs here on the east side of the Cascades (about 5 miles from here)

gkomo[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Just find crappy reviews of all the vehicles you don't want, then explain to her that the 4Runner Limited is so great that you couldn't even find one crappy review. :yes:

Ironguy, A&P, BearBio and 1 other person like this.
  6. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Interesting issue. I think what you're seeing here is that nothing out there directly compares to the Limited. Its closest competitors are really other 4Runners.

It's not a luxury SUV. Its level of equipment, and the quality of its interior materials, are barely on par with most mid priced cars. Indeed, your average Korean economy sedan or crossover is more luxurious than the Limited.

It's not even a typical midsize SUV, as almost all other vehicles in this segment are unibody crossovers. As such, they prioritize comfort, speed and fuel economy over ruggedness and off-road capability.

At it's heart, the Limited is an old-school body-on-frame 4WD truck, on the large side for the midsize class, that's distinguished from other trims in the 4Runner lineup by several nice features, a more civilized suspension for road use, and a full-time 4WD system.

I think the closest competitor outside of other 4Runners might be the higher few trims of the Grand Cherokee. The pricing is similar and the Jeep brings more serious off-road and towing ability than other unibody SUVs in its class. The main tradeoffs here are that the Jeep gives you a nicer interior, but is less rugged (e.g. not body on frame) and is certainly much less reliable.

In making your choice, I think you need to decide what is really most important to you and your family. If reliability and durability and the potential for off-road use are top priorities, the Limited is unbeatable. If decent MPG and a luxurious interior are top concerns, it's a poor choice. If I was prioritizing those things I'd be looking at the Kia Telluride and the Honda Passport. The former is swankier than the latter, but the latter is built on the Ridgeline platform that has an excellent reputation for reliability. It's surprisingly quick too -- 0-60 in the 5s.

Best of luck and pls let us know what you end up doing. I absolutely love my Limited and am so happy I got it -- and I've had a ton of new cars, so have a heck of a lot to compare it to. But it's not right for everyone.

Super Green and gkomo[OP] like this.
  7. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:44 AM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    This man gets it!

8. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    Ya I was thinking the Grand Cherokee would be the most comparable. My buddy has a fairly newer one... like less than 5 years old and stuffs already breaking or literally, falling off on the freeway (a trim piece in this example). Thank you for the input though!

Singleminded[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Our Jeep Cherokee was absolutely the worst car we've ever had! Paid more in repairs than in payments for the year we had it!

But, if you like comfort and are willing to give up durability for looks and interior, go for the Jeep!

Singleminded likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I think the chrome trim and the different bumpers somehow makes them look a bit bigger. But of course they’re exactly the same size.

The last breed and A&P[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Oct 7, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    My wife also got a Limited. Full-time 4wd was the main reason we got it vs the SR5.

The options we got was 3rd row seat & automatic running boards.

I really wish we got the 17in wheel option too. It was bit of a hassle to sell the 20in wheels and tires. Wheels took some time to sell because no one wants them.

3rd row seat is same between SR5 vs Limited except my SR5 had cloth seats vs Limited has leather. I wish I can get Limited without moonroof for better headroom, because my SR5 didn't had moonroof and it had better headroom.

I see that 2022 Limited have 360 camera and blind spot monitoring in addition to standard Toyota safety sense P, parking sensors.

What other vehicles I looked at before buying 4R Limited? Lexus GX & Highlander Limited (only HL Limited / Platinum / XSE has TV-AWD).
    We got Limited vs GX because of fuel range (4.0L v6 23gal vs 4.6L v8 23gal) and ground clearance (9.6in vs 8.1in).
    We got Limited vs Highlander because 4wd vs awd. Also a minor fact its made in Japan even though many say there is no difference between made in Japan vs USA when it comes to Toyota. But I like how Highlander drives even with good ground clearance like the GX.

I know some of the 4R owners here got GX & HL. This is just our family requirements. Only my family requirements. :)

BTW my wife loves the Yukon XL we used when we were in MD. Especially because she was able to keep the seats at max height and bring up the pedals so she gets an excellent high view without having problems to reach the pedals. I told we don't need such a big suv just for 3 of us. As for mpg I think newer 3L diesel are excellent in MPG. Just mentioned even though we did not test drive this time as it might be a good option for OP to add to the list.

The last breed and gkomo[OP] like this.
  12. Oct 7, 2021 at 11:45 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I should have added another consideration. The Limited should be a far better choice than these other vehicles in the snow. The ground clearance is higher and there’s a locking center differential, plus low gear, plus ATRAC. You can’t find that kind of 4WD capability on the unibody crossovers. So if tackling snow is a big priority, it’s gonna be hard to do better than the Limited. This is a big reason I got mine and not something else — including a different 4Runner.

Just be sure to put good tires on it. The OEMs suck bad.

13. Oct 7, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Now I'm starting to think that chrome make it look bigger?
    KM1_6053-HDR.jpg

14. Oct 7, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Plus no fake hood scoop. I love the large flat hood. Espec from the drivers seat. Feels like you’re driving a Peterbilt :D

15. Oct 7, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4

Ya the GX is something else we are looking at, but may be just slightly out of our range of what we want to spend. I really feel the 4runner checks all my boxes, and hers. I want to drive something I actually like - and looks good. I know the Limited is a love/hate with most people, but I actually like the styling. And yes, snow capability is important. We travel to Tahoe a lot, especially in the winter. My parents have a house in South Lake and we plan on making many memories there with our new one over the upcoming years. Now to just put some facts on paper for her.

16. Oct 7, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    18RunnerLTD

18RunnerLTD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Hey Man - New Dad here as well....
    We have a 2018 Limited and we (my wife and I) love it. It's our daily driver. Plenty of space, car seat fit great, reliability and capability is great. It's a mid to large-ish SUV, it doesn't really fit into any category and that's ok.
    We've had ours since August of 20' and knock on wood haven't had to do much (oil change, ect)
    We looked at the Honda pilot, Toyota highlander and settled on the 4R - the other two were too minivanish!
    Only thing we wished we could have found was a 3rd row but, not the end of the world since we were shopping used.

Hope this helps and congrats on the baby!

17. Oct 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    I love the fake hood scoop for the looks. But I hate it when I go to drop my kiddo to school in the morning. That hood scoop reflects the sun almost blinding my view. With out sunglasses there is absolutely no way I can drive. No kidding, I go F~!@#$%^&*:annoyed:

18. Oct 7, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    Nice! Thanks for the input.

18RunnerLTD[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    The last breed

The last breed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    Dying to get my hands on a 4Runner
    No need to buy the limited. The TRD Offroad Premium is awesome. Just get the KDSS with it and it will ride like a freaking Highlander. If you still want the limited, then make sure it doesn't come with the X-REAS. They say it is problematic.
    Also, all those so called SUVs are toys compared to the Mighty 4Runner.

A&P likes this.
  20. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:22 PM
    Inspirit

Inspirit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    -Stage 1 Icon Suspension -RCI Skid Plate -Metal Tech Sliders
    All limiteds come with xreas. If xreas goes bad replace the suspension later on down the road.

21. Oct 8, 2021 at 4:08 AM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    Buy a RAV-4, carry less shit, and use the leftover funds to start a college fund for your kid(s). You might think you’ve got plenty of money until they hit college. Believe me, most of us don’t.

suaveflooder and The last breed like this.
  22. Oct 8, 2021 at 4:20 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    @gkomo have you considered a Highlander? If no off-road ability is needed, the Highlander is a more practical choice.

If you're set on a 4Runner, go drive one. Maybe she'll fall in love with it.

The last breed and kmeeg like this.
  23. Oct 8, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Yep, I was strongly considering Highlander Limited (gas) for its new AWD system (only on Limited / Platinum / XSE). After learning about the Highlander Hybrids I was thinking that would have been the perfect city vehicle and even on some easy gravel roads for hiking / camping trips. I'm very impressed how its e-CVT works.

24. Oct 8, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Not the best advice to a new / potential owner IMO. Both KDSS and XREAS can be problematic. And there are both KDSS and XREAS owners with good amount of miles. And both can be fixed by Toyota dealership no big deal. And XREAS can be replaced by non OEM shocks as well. And no 4runner can be compared to Highlander how they drive. Especially on road..:cheers:

upload_2021-10-8_9-10-1.jpg
    upload_2021-10-8_9-13-25.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  25. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    4Runner is TOO GREAT on the trails. Maybe you don't really need all that. A Highlander may be the best choice

https://youtu.be/jm5-FRejCMg

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:25 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Without a doubt I love 4Runners, why whole family drives 4Runners. This Youtuber is here in Denver CO. Sadly they haven't tested the Limits of Highlander with its new AWD system. They tested the older Highlander AWD to its limit. In fact I was not able to find a single video anyone testing Highlander new AWD to its limit. I want to see how it can compare with Honda Pilot i-vtm4 and same class Subaru Ascent symmetrical AWD (7 seat crossover class).

27. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    AWD is not the real issue, ground clearance is. Maybe you should lift your Highlander to 10 inches :)

28. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Not going to divert too much from the topic but want point out sometimes ground clearance wont be a big deal. Here's one small clip of me testing Subaru Ascent. I think if it didn't have that system to brake the wheel with loose traction and send power to wheel with traction I could have got stuck on this small hill / bump.

https://youtu.be/eYhRjDNpe_w

29. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    The last breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Muhammad
    Vehicle:
    A Camry with momentum would have cleared that.
    I keep handling trails in 2WD in my 4Runner. Most of the tools in the 4Runner, including 4X4, are overkill.

suaveflooder likes this.
  30. Oct 8, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    That’s pretty much what happens every time somebody takes a Subaru mildly off-road here in California.

The damn thing gets stuck on a hill that I wouldn’t even slow down for.

A&P and The last breed like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top