1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is generating such enthusiasm, specifically, for the TRD Pro?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Dante Rising, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Nov 23, 2020 at 3:48 AM
    Dante Rising

Dante Rising [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I have 8 Toyota dealerships in my (somewhat) local area. None have the TRD Pro. The dealerships all stated that they have even taken cash down to reserve all of their very limited incoming inventory of the Pros. No dealer trades at any of these dealerships to get TRD Pros from elsewhere in the country. And, finally, markups in other areas are ranging from 3K-7K over MSRP. One dealership even told me they sold a WHITE Pro for 10K over MSRP after the vehicle was on their lot for one day. 10K over MSRP for a stock color - not even a limited Lunar Rock version. And, BTW, a Lunar Rock I had bookmarked sold for 67K in California.

Meanwhile, three of these local dealerships were very willing to REDUCE their Venture and Off-Road models (some with KDSS) by 2-3K. So you have two equally capable vehicles, that look nearly identical, separated by modest differences, selling for extremely different prices that are only growing in variance over time.

What do you think is driving this Pro "mystique", which is convincing many people to pay such large markups, when an equally capable Venture with (or without) KDSS can be had for significantly less money? Most people buying at this price range have done some homework - Fox Shocks, some badging, and upgraded stereo sound can't explain this level of.....craziness.

And this is all despite Rubicons aplenty on lots, the new Wrangler 392 announcement, the bronco launching next year, and a new 4Runner on the horizon. Enthusiasm should be waning.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    4Runner fun, A&P and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Nov 23, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Resale value is slightly higher than other trims, so there's that.

Some folks just want the most exclusive trim. Others might not want to modify their vehicle at all, so they go for the better shocks and tires.

3. Nov 23, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    MontanaEric

MontanaEric New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Pro
    In Montana the dealerships get MSRP for Pros. Crazy markups are for the Coastal Elites.

4. Nov 23, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    Gossamer

Gossamer lunarrocktrdpro1

Member:
    Middle of America
    First off, I will sell my yet-to-be-delivered Lunar Rock for $66K right now...so DM me if you're interested. o_O

Toyota's have a really weird following and the people who like them are particular. The same could be asked for the Land Cruiser and spending $85K for something that doesn't have many bells and whistles...the pro has ridiculous resale value and as a whole, the model is supported with aftermarket stuff unlike anything but a Wrangler.

4Runner fun and Thatbassguy like this.
  5. Nov 23, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    It’s a Pro!! The value is crazy over all the other 4runners. When I traded my 17 White Pro in on my 2020 AG Pro. I owned my 17 had the title and I did Kelly blue book on line and filled out all the info before I traded it in to see what other dealers would offer. Then I went to my dealer because they had a AG pro coming in. I told them how much I wanted and that was it. I even thought about doing the same with my 2020 now to see what I can get for it. I do love my Toyota’s but I could sell it and buy something cheaper. But then I probably would not be happy. I have my title to my 2020 paid it off less than a year. You can always deal better with a vehicle if you own it. You have better bargaining power over them. Especially if you do not have to sell it. I also believe the short demand on the vehicles is also driving them up. Just like my 19C7Z06 it’s a manual. Since GM is not making a manual for the C8 it’s driving the value up on my Z.

4Runner fun, A&P and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Nov 23, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Toffees

Toffees Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Testosterone

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Nov 23, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    The same reason people will pay MSRP+ for a Raptor.

8. Nov 23, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    actually the 4 runner is a chick vehicle as determined by this forum.

As for this thread. I think the 4 runner has no competition really as of yet until the bronco comes out. The last True SUV and the only offroad vehicle that has really good on road manners. Lots of cargo space and its not completely massive like a full size truck combined with legendary build quality and there you go. The Pro market itself is a little speculative and so dealer mark ups keep the value on used ones high. There you go.

ipnpulz and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Nov 23, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    They look good in the mall parking lot.

10. Nov 23, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    cug

cug New Member

Member:
    A few things that make the TRD Pro line interesting:
    • It does have all the off road features that some people "need" and want for their personal satisfaction of having them. Examples are Crawl Control, Multi-Terrain-Select and a rear locker. Others want them for real reasons, which I claim to be the case for me. ;-)
    • It does have "more" LED light, not just low beam like the other models, except the Limited and Nightshade.
    • It does have dual zone climate control, not just simple AC. That's normally also only available on Limited and Nightshade.
    • It does have the better audio system (which I don't care too much for).
    • It does have the fugly roof rack that some people really like (Anybody here who wants mine?).
    I was going back and forth on TRD Pro, TRD Off Road and Limited/Nightshade. The problem is I really wanted a rear locker, the automatic dual zone AC, as well as LED low/high beams without too much fussing around. So, for me it was between a Limited/Nightshade and TRD Pro, since the dual zone AC isn't available on other models.

Making a Nightshade work for me would have meant:
    • Get, paint and install a TRD style front (maybe rear) bumper.
    • Get and install TRD/Venture rocker panels.
    • Get and install a rear locker (ARB air locker or such).
    • Get and install a stronger suspension, the X-REAS system seems to fail rather early with regular off road use.
    The benefits would have been that I could have re-installed the parking sensors (my wife would have liked these) and would have had heated and cooled real leather seats. The fake leather in the TRD Pro is outright disgusting and feels like crap, plus it makes you sweaty rather quickly. After having the TRD Pro for 700 miles now, I'm convinced I'll go to a good car upholstery at some point and get the front seats re-done with a better seat platform (the OEM one is uncomfortable after a few hours) and high quality real leather.

Now, with the TRD Pro, the only thing I want to do in the short term is to get rid of the roof rack and install rock sliders and front recovery points. Everything else can stay as is for the time being. I even think I won't add a lift until I might have to change suspension due to changes in vehicle weight (sliders, rack, roof top tent, luggage & gear). The ground clearance should be good enough for what I'm planning to do for now.

So, TLDR: Toyota's complete CRAP submodel policy drives people like me to get the car with the least compromise, which in my case is the TRD Pro. The Limited would have just been too much work to get to where I wanted it AND would have cost more than a TRD Pro even with markup AND it would never have some features like Crawl Control or MTS. Sure, some other pieces might be better if I had gone aftermarket, it's just much more effort to get it at least halfway right.

wfxt and 4Runner fun like this.
  11. Nov 23, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    When I was getting my oil changed in June, I went to the Jeep dealership owned by the Toyota dealership. They offered me $51K for my Pro as a trade in, but I would have had to buy a Jeep. I'm over those especially at $58K and the new 392 will be close to $80K I bet. I will just keep this Pro as long as I can. Prices for vehicles are getting out of my price range. Might have to get a Subaru soon.

Redned and 4Runner fun like this.
  12. Nov 23, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    redneckj

redneckj New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner
    working on it
    PRO = $10,000 shocks

I’ll pass

13. Nov 23, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I know you can upgrade things to look like a Pro which a lot of people do, but no Pro owners will ever try to mod things to look like a non Pro 4 Runner. I bought the Pro mainly because I wanted the resale value and didn't want to mod it. I ended up adding the Eibach Pro springs with install, alignment and 285's for $1500. No way I could do an actual suspension upgrade for a non pro for $1500 and definitely couldn't do it with tires. I see hundreds of 4R's each week and only 2-3 Pro's a week and that's because I have one and 2 neighbors have one. We all have our reasons for picking what we did and nobody could choose a bad 4R.

14. Nov 23, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    While this is true, a lower trim can be made much more capable than a PRO and still be cheaper.

Of course, that's a little off topic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    IceYeti, Tuco S., SD Swede and 3 others like this.
  15. Nov 23, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    And then once you heavily modify it we all know it affects the value, but I get what you are saying.

16. Nov 24, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    RusPro17

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Like I said I’m all about numbers. I thought about selling my Pro and getting a Subaru and the price for one of them would give me at least $20,000 to invest to pad my retirement.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  17. Nov 24, 2020 at 4:22 AM
    Dante Rising

Dante Rising [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I'm probably going to wind up buying a Voodoo Blue Pro. Every time I see that color with tinted windows, it is just stunning. I was hoping it would drop down to other trim levels like Army Green did, but it was not meant to be.

I'm still grinding my teeth, however, over buying a model that is a couple years old, lacks multiple new features, and is only a couple thousand dollars less than a 2021 Pro. But whenever I see the color, with blackout trim and tinted windows, I smile ear-to-ear. That and Barcelona Red, but I've already owned that color, and decided to change it up.

I really hope Toyota is paying attention to Jeep and Ford. The new Bronco and Wrangler 392 are very attractive options. The next 4Runner needs to knock it out of the park. Curious to see if these new additions by Ford and Jeep will chip away at the 4Runners resale value.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  18. Nov 24, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Gossamer

Member:
    Middle of America
    i think it's interesting that people judge others for the TRIM they buy...FFS, it's personal preference. I don't give a #$%@ what any of you drive and I'm assuming it makes you happy to do so?

I have owned 2 Land Cruisers and recently sold a 2019 to buy a 4Runner Pro...and it's solely personal preference. Anyone who uses the argument they don't see value in the Pro differences shouldn't ever argue for the mods they make to their "boring" 4 Runners...it's subjective. o_O

kctgar and NightRunner like this.
  19. Nov 24, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

Who's judging here?

I disagree with your statement about the value of the PRO. The folks who don't see the PRO as a good value are usually the ones who know they can build a better 4runner (for their uses and preferences) for less money. There's no argument involved.

This doesn't mean that there isn't any value there. It's just aimed at a different customer. Like you even said, it comes down to preference. Every trim is a good value to the customer who prefers that trim.

For me, value is about satisfaction. The folks who buy the PRO are generally quite satisfied with them. I don't think anyone could argue against that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Tuco S., Singleminded, AG4RN8 and 3 others like this.
  20. Nov 24, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    Gossamer

Member:
    Middle of America
    You made my point when you said “know.” What is better to you may not be better to me.
    I think we agree, we’re looking at it differently.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  21. Nov 24, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    redneckj

redneckj New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner
    working on it
    FYI, 99% of the time Michael’s Toyota in Bellevue WA has PRO 4runners in their inventory. msrp or less.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Nov 24, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I should have said "better for their uses and preferences." Thank you for pointing that out.

And, you're absolutely correct about what's better to one person not being better for another. Good point.

jmkulbeth and Gossamer[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Nov 24, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    An interesting comment, it's part of human nature. We are social, and comparative. I did some study on a while back cause I was bored and annoyed at the constant division of people's natures, and essentially I can wrap it all up like this.

Division and subdivision are because of competitiveness and personal justification of world views. We all agree on 4Runners, but since we have that common, there must be something different about just liking 4Runner, so we assess the next level down, trims. If we all had the same trims, it would be lifts, or tires. It's never good enough to agree on the same thing.

Now here's where it gets interesting. While some disagreements are petty, others drive innovation. The key is open mindedness, which according to the Dunning-Kreguer effect, we all think we are...but we all pretty much suck at it, except the experts, who doubt themselves...LOL.

24. Nov 24, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    When it comes to vehicles many people are willing to pay extra for exclusivity. Unfortunately, I often have to include myself in this group. LOL
    I have to hand it to Toyota being able to charge much more for a TRD/PRO versus a TRD/ORP by just adding a couple of mods and options. Toyota appears to sell 4Runners in every trim level. So I guess they have a formula that works.
    Sometimes you get many people that all of a sudden seem to want the same thing at the same time. Think the Jeep craze. Also the first year of the Mazda Miata when it was introduced.
    Seems like around 2016 there was a big increase in interest for off-road vehicles. Don't even think Jeep saw it coming. LOL If the manufactures did, Toyota might have kept the FJ Cruiser longer. (?)

Rick

25. Nov 24, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think Toyota decided to offer more off-road oriented trims on the 5th gen 4runner rather than put the work into another vehicle on the same platform. I really hope that they continue with this trend with the next generation 4runner rather than bringing back the FJ.

26. Nov 24, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    RusPro17

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    I don’t think Toyota is worried about what Ford and Jeep is bringing out. I could be wrong. But there going to ride this wave as long as there sales stay up on the 4runner gives them more time for the 6Gen. 4runner to be unleashed. Look at that new Jeep that was brought out. There sitting all over the lots. Soon as a Pro lands it sold within days.

DallasTRDPro and Thatbassguy like this.
  27. Nov 25, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree with you. With all the current trim levels and identical platform and drive train, it simply makes the reintroduction of the FJ unnecessary.

Rick

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Nov 25, 2020 at 5:57 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    From reading posts, it sounds more like hours versus days. LOL

Rick

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    shabbadel36

shabbadel36 “We're Riding the Bus to Flavortown!” - Guy Fieri

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture
    Get a Venture or Off-Road, slap on the Pro Badge and redo Front grill Logo, problem solved.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  30. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    DaveW

DaveW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
    I would rather have purchased another new FJ rather than my 2020 4R, but sometimes you have to put up with 2nd best! LOL.

catus and Thatbassguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top