1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 5th Gen 4Runner today?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Bob, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jan 7, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    2016 4Runner SR5

2016 4Runner SR5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner SR5, tech package, MGM
    Bought it 1/28/17 ToyTec Ultimate lift, 295/70/17 Ridge Grapplers, FX Pro wheels
    Ah I turned it off a long time ago, drove me nuts. I appreciate you posting the link for me though!

Tom Two and Kilos like this.
  2. Jan 7, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    DrewMan

DrewMan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    Rear or Front?

3. Jan 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM
    Real_Grande

Real_Grande New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner SR5
    Installed my roof rack from Relentless Fabrication. Loving the look. Great quality work. Now I'm ready for a Tepui roof top tent 20180107_110754.jpg 20180107_110701.jpg org_6760548b95097af5_1515367409000.jpg

4. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    Is it listed on there website? and how long did it take after purchase to receive it?
    Thanks; Looks Great and very functional!

5. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    Real_Grande

Real_Grande New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner SR5
    No longer on the website. I got in contact with them, they sent me an invoice and picked up in Sparks, NV. 16 week lead time. Couldn't beat the price though 760$ powdercoated with hi-lift mounts.

DrewMan likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wow … that was an AWESOME deal!

7. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    FastForward

FastForward New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner
    Rear

8. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    waydago

waydago From a 3rd Gen Taco to a 5th Gen 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Former: ‘16 Taco TRD OR; Current: '18 4R TRD Off Road Premium with KDSS
    Pro Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT IIs, Predator Pro steps, Vent and hood shields, Rigid Radiance, Aux DRL LEDs in grille, Husky Floor Liners, NoxLux blackouts.
    I know there are posts about tires elsewhere but I want to get some opinions in this 5th Gen thread. I currently have Falken Wildpeak ATs on my month old 4R. Installed them soon after the delivery. I am plagued by vibration issues even after multiple balances by various establishments. First one did Road Force and they sucked. Took them somewhere else and they did better but still rough. Another front balance done showed both to be off by a total of an ounce. Drove to NC (uncomfortably) and then had the rears re-balanced. The trip home convinced me to replace these Falkens. The sun visor was vibrating at times. Tirebuyer has agreed to take them back and credit me. And they had already replaced the first set I had that had the same issues. SUPERB customer satisfaction organization. At any rate, what opinions are there about BFG KO2s or perhaps the Toyo Open Country AT II. I loved the Falkens I had on my Tacoma but these are a different animal. They look the best of any ATs but looks don't always equate to comfort. Hate to part with them, BUT....
    Opinions please.

9. Jan 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    COexplorer

COexplorer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graham
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    I had no idea you could turn that off, and it is really distracting. Thanks for posting that.

Kilos and 2016 4Runner SR5 like this.
  10. Jan 8, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    JBTRD

JBTRD Hunting, Fishing, Lovin' Everyday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    Both the Toyo and Ko2 are great tires. On this site majority will give ko2 as a recomendation. I personally run the toyo, and love them only diffrence between the two is the toyo has a warrenty but both will last 60-70k miles if rotated every 5k

2016 4Runner SR5, waydago and rsimi72 like this.
  11. Jan 9, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Pro Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT IIs, Predator Pro steps, Vent and hood shields, Rigid Radiance, Aux DRL LEDs in grille, Husky Floor Liners, NoxLux blackouts.
    I suppose before I jump the gun and replace my Falkens perhaps I should ask a different question. Has anyone had any vibration issues on their 5th Gen UNRELATED TO TIRES? Drive line issues? Suspension issues, like with the KDSS (which mine has)? Probably should delve into these possibilities before going out and buying new tires. I am finding though, in my limited research, that most vibration issues with any vehicle originate with the tires. But-- hate to buy new tires and find the problem is the truck itself. Any inputs?

12. Jan 9, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium - Gray
    I purchased a 2017 SR5 Premium after a test drive that did not include the freeway. The next day I noticed the steering wheel shimmy and took it to Les Schwab for road force balancing. It still had the shimmy. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the suspect wheel/tire from a different 4Runner. Still had the shimmy. So, I swapped it out for a different 4Runner since it was only a couple of days old. My new one (5 months now) will still wobble slightly from time to time, but it's much less pronounced and only under the perfect road conditions. Not sure it's entirely the tires, but good tires that are perfectly balanced will help. I think the 4Runner is ultra sensitive to balance issues. Good luck!!

2016 4Runner SR5 and waydago like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    I would say if the place you got them from is willing to give you a refund, go for it. The longer you wait they may not honor that offer forever. Odds are 2 different sets of tires won't have the same issues. If you are still having issues with the new tires then you will know almost for sure it's not the tires...

There has been some reports of vibrations in the steering wheel, but most have tracked it down to the tires.

jester243 and waydago like this.
  14. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    To be honest this is the second set of Falkens which Tirebuyer replaced after this first set had (according to the installer after repeated balance issues) two tires out of round. Not sure I believe it now since they totally botched the balance on the second set even with Road Force. Went somewhere else and had a balance (not road force) and it was better but still not right. Went somewhere else before a road trip to NC and had just the front two re-balanced and they were off by almost an ounce each. Had some issues on the trip and when I got to NC I went to the express service and tire department of the Toyota dealer and they checked all four on the road force. Front ones were spot on (kudos to the local guy here) but the back ones were off. They removed the weights and balanced them fresh. Was a whole lot better on trip home to FL but I still noticed that little shimmy in the steering wheel (and my sun visor vibrated) at certain speeds. Now I'm at the decision point. Replace the Falkens with KO2s (and a refund offered). Or keep them and live with the annoying vibration. I'm on the fence but leaning toward your suggestion of replacing them while the offer stands.

15. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    Your only an hour north of me and i have been in that area to get work done to my truck, what people did you use?

16. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    '17 4R SR5 4WD x 2!
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    Yes. Although your 2018 is too new to have the problem and I'm unsure if you are lifted or not, which exacerbates the problem:

The driver's side needle bearings between the front diff and the axle can fail, exacerbated by any degree of lift. It's a known issue and it cause a rumbling / vibration that is similar to an out-of-balance tire. My 2014 failed at about 40,000 miles, with 2.5" lift.

Other than that, or the possible wheel bearing failure, there's no known (to me) issues with the driveline that would cause symptoms like what you describe. Your assessment is likely accurate - tires out of balance.

I will say that the 5th gen 4R seems to be particularly sensitive to balance issues and those issues are easily felt through the steering wheel. I have wheels go out of balance because of a little mud caked on them, and I can feel it. I've reached a point where I no longer really care... if the truck vibrates, I go faster, or slower, until it stops vibrating. Usually faster. Okay, always faster.

2016 4Runner SR5 likes this.
  17. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    The first was an approved installer (Tire Pros; Atlantic tire Center on Monterey Road in Stuart) on Tirebuyer's list which had excellent reviews and was recommended to me by another accessory shop I use. They did not do me good even with a Road Force. The second was Golden Gate Tire on Dixie Highway. Golden Gate was only on the second set after Tire Pros messed up the replacements. I used a specialty shop (Auto XPerience in Port St. Lucie) for the front two prior to my trip which got the front ones right on. But as I said the back ones were still off on the trip to NC.

Who have you been to up here?

18. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    No lift. Completely stock suspension with KDSS. Thanks for your input. Leaning toward some KO2s.

19. Jan 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    I have used St Luice battery and tire and Amazonia 4x4. And have had balance jobs done with Treasue coast Toyota and my local Toyota, Eral Stewart.

20. Jan 9, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Not crazy about Treasure Coast but like Earl Stewart even though have only used them once. Who did the best for your balances? There are a bunch of St Lucie Battery and tires in the area. Which one and what for? I like good recommendations or notice who to avoid. I'll have to check out Amazonia. They used to be a Dodge dealer. What did they do for you? Good or bad?

21. Jan 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    St Luice batt: i had them install lift/ level and bigger tires on a 2015 tundra, did a good alingment on toyo at tires, i used the one close to me on beeline and military in riviera beach.
    Treasue coast: did an alingment after useing amazonia, did an okay alignment, not very good for lifted vehicals.
    Amazonia 4x4: they installed my trd pro shocks and front axle skid plates, did good work for really cheap, he restores old land cruisers and sells them, was recommended by my buddy who own 12 diffrent tacos and 4runners.
    Earl: they do basic service for me and do good alingments, but the wait times till they fully expand are insane expect a 2-3 hour wait.

If you dont mind a little bit of a drive there is a DV8 across from earl stewart, they installed my lift wheels and tires, excellent work and great balancing, but they are not cheap, however the quality is insane and are usually booked out 2 weeks in advanced, but a simple tire job they would more than likly be able to squeeze you in sooner.

Avoid royal palm and palm beach toyota awful people working there and dumba$$ mechanics who poor oil on top of the engine and skid plate, left work gloves in my skid plate and never cleaned it up, got home and i thought i was leaking oil.

waydago likes this.
  22. Jan 9, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    2018 T4R Offroad SAS 1995 Tacoma
    We went for a little drive with my friend and his family. He ended up getting stuck but all was good. All the doo-dads on these rigs don't do anything with bald tires on ice lol.

https://youtu.be/OJacmCWIoKM

Buggs and kaosonline like this.
  23. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:55 PM
    Clay

Clay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Not Yet
    I gave our new baby a new set of License Plates - Wonder how many others have unique 4R plates for their machine?New 4R Plates jpg.jpg

24. Jan 10, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to all for the inputs. Have been researching tires to decide on what to replace the Falkens with--SOON. Unfortunately research leads to confusion and thus indecision. Reviews of tires on the tire websites aren't to be trusted IMO as the manufacturer probably writes many to boost their product. Probably true of other product reviews on sites like Amazon and eBay too. As you can tell I am a bit skeptical of reviews. What I think I can trust however are reviews and comments from actual Toyota 4R owners on sites like this. So I now solicit inputs on what tires you all are running on your 4R and what your impressions of them are. I have seen many UNVERIFIED reviews of KO2s, Nitto Ridge (the new one) and Terra Grappler G2, Toyo Open Country, etc. My Falkens get very good reviews too especially at the price point. Appreciate all opinions, positive or negative.

25. Jan 10, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    '17 4R SR5 4WD x 2!
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    How do you know that the reviews you might get on here aren't from bots? Reviews, in my opinion, are to be taken with a grain of salt not because they might be propaganda from the manufacturer, but because most reviews are authored soon after getting something, when it is still shiny and new, and hasn't been used long enough for the negatives to be noticed.

Asking for tire advice is like asking for oil advice, or asking what sort of woman is best (or man, if you are into that sort of thing, not that there is anything wrong with that!). Lots of individual preferences come into play.

Additionally, you aren't telling us what you want to do with the tires. Off road? Highway? Gravel roads? Sand?

So I don't know that you will get a ton of answers, especially in this thread, but you may want to reconsider your question and offer up some info about your intended uses to get answers specific to your requirements.

2016 4Runner SR5 and waydago like this.
  26. Jan 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Mark. You raise very valid points and I was remiss in my usage intents. My 4R is my daily driver and I don't have major off-road aspirations but intend to do some. I'd say 95% of my time will be on pavement. My wheeling experience is nil so it will be new but it is something I want to try without getting into rock crawling and the like. I want an aggressive look, good ride, and "relative" quietness. I know an AT tire will have some noise compared to passenger tires but so be it. That said after my original post I found some other threads on wheels and tires and I talked personally to some tire people locally with no skin in the game and have settled on going with the Toyo Open Country AT II. Good bang for the buck, aggressive look, balance easily, quieter than most, good wear. Hopefully they will get rid of the balance issues and vibrations I have been having with the Falkens, which BTW were an awesome tire on my Tacoma. Just don't seem to be good fit on the 4R for me (but they do look awesome on the Pro wheels). If they don't it's time to look at the truck itself.

27. Jan 10, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    I run the Toyo Open Country A/T 2 at a 285/70/17 and have no complaints except on wet pavement, if you need to step on it at a dead stop to get around someone they very bad traction, notice it more on the tundra than 4runner, my guess is because of the raw power of a 5.7. They are quiet and aggresive looking, they preform very well in off road situations. As for tread ware, i have over 15k on them and they dont look any less than the day they were installed.

803FDD36-E2FE-4BE5-BAFA-B212A7B5DFE1.jpg

waydago likes this.
  28. Jan 10, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium - Gray
    OP - I'm waiting on your follow-up to see if your balance/shimmy issues are solved with the Toyo tires. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

waydago likes this.
  29. Jan 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    waydago

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    You have issues too? I will know soon enough if my problem is solved. Ordered the Toyos today and will be installed post haste.

30. Jan 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    Clay

Clay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Not Yet
    Only problem I have had with the Toyo's is that they tend to get noisy as they have a number of miles on them. Run the 235/85-16's on my Taco during non-winter months. Told the local dealer about this (Les Schwab) and apparently this is a known issue and he said that they'd give me a big discount in the spring when I buy new fair weather tires. Run the Toyo M/T's in the winter. If you are wondering about the size - This is so I can chain up all 4. Clay

Products Discussed in

To Top