1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What did they get wrong?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by E Man, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:10 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Very different type of plastic. The Tacoma plastic is much lighter (not as dense). Which would make sense as far as mpg goes. They’re squeezing out as many as they can.

2. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:46 PM
    E Man

E Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture
    Yeah, I had a 2001 4Runner. Loved it to death and someone totaled it on me while it was parked. That was 2009 and I had a massive brain fart and thought I might be done driving a truck so I got a Venza which had a lot of room in it so that need would be satisfied and was a little higher, bigger than most cars. It was awesome! Very fast for its size and I liked it. However I quickly realized it wasn't the right car for me. Anyway, I knew I wanted a 4Runner again but I wasn't ready to get into car payments again so I did a lot of shopping and planning on what exactly I wanted in a 4Runner and what I wanted to do to it once I got it. This past August I was ready and luckily for me, most of the interior things I didn't like got updated or changed with the add of the Venture edition. I couldn't be happier!!!!

toy33, DRobs and Singleminded like this.
  3. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    freak4life

freak4life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    Phoenix Az
    Vehicle:
    2018 off-road
    RCI skids (alum. full length),Fox susp. lift,OME rear springs, Westcott Sliders and rear tire carrier and rack, Warn 10s Zeon Platinum winch Factor55 Borah VRK,and SSO front winch bumper, ARB air comp.(single) Switch-Pro, Rigid lights 40” on the rack, 30” in the front bumper floods on the back of the rack. GY k02 with fuel wheels(red)
    :) I love my 4Runner also, fantastic vehicle. I have never heard of a vehicle that satisfies all the people all the time.

NightRunner and mchertel like this.
  4. Oct 14, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    4runningyeti

4runningyeti New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 BRM TRD ORP
    Sort of agree with 1) it is a little odd when you first see the mismatch but having owned it almost a year, I’ve almost forgotten about it.
    6) I kind of like the switches there, has “different and cool” vibe

overall I really like it and really can’t complain about most of what you listed, heck I barely even registered that some of those things could be an issue.

What I really like is how utilitarian it is, everything just works as it should, the touch points are solid (if not spectacular), the controls are easy to use with gloves on (thankfully for those of us with snow and cold in our lives), it’s just a practical easy to use truck that, in 2020, now has just the right amount of tech blended with a tried and true bulletproof design.

Having said that- and this I’ve noticed on several Japanese cars and trucks I’ve owned, I do wish the doors had a little more heft to them, the body panels were a touch thicker, and the paint was a little better quality, definitely seems like the paint has a thinness to it, but that could be in my head.

5. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Blue 4ever Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    I agree. The doors do have a "tinny" sound to them when closed. Some have put sound deadening in them to help with that but it shouldn't be needed. The paint is an issue for sure. More layers of clear coat and possibly harder clear coat too. It scratches and stains so easily. I do love this truck though. Overall it's a darn good vehicle.

toy33 and Snickel Fritz like this.
  6. Oct 14, 2020 at 11:04 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    What is it, in particular, that you like about the venture?

7. Oct 15, 2020 at 1:31 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4 Runner TRD Pro
    My biggest interior complaint is the constant dings for every thing. I want all chimes off. I don't want to know when another door is open. I don't want to know someone doesn't have their seatbelt on. I don't want to know I opened my door when the 4R was in gear. I only want true emergency noises. The rest of the interior is still nicer and more updated than my Jeep Rubicon was. Hell this is my first backup camera ever.

DRobs likes this.
  8. Oct 15, 2020 at 3:09 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    88' DLX - 03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Never did use the back up camera much. Couldn't get past looking over my shoulder and my old side mirror habits. So I put a tire carrier back there.

DRobs likes this.
  9. Oct 15, 2020 at 5:13 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4Runner OR - MGM
    265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, Eibach Pro Truck Lift, Warn VR10 Winch, Warn 100022 Winch Bumper, TRD Skid Plate, Cali Raised Light Bar, Shrockworks Sliders and Skids, LFD Ruggadized Cross Bars
    Pretty sure it's for a holding a henway.

MountainMan likes this.
  10. Oct 15, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    Not falling for that one either...

MountainMan and DRobs like this.
  11. Oct 15, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    I concur. Exactly why I'm going to trade in my 2010 FJ Cruiser for a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro. It will have the same reliable running gear as my FJ. Guessing 2021 will be the last opportunity to purchase the "old school". LOL

Rick

freak4life and toy33 like this.
  12. Oct 15, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    JHawk

JHawk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5 Premium, grey metallic
    I love our 2019. Very tough. The only complaint - if you want to call it that, is that the engine is a slight bit underpowered. But trading a bit of fuel economy for more power, makes sense.

13. Oct 16, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    E Man

E Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture
    Interior wise, other than climate control being dual zone, it is identical to the TRD Pro. On the exterior, I think the only real difference between it and TRD Pro are the wheels, roof rack and suspension. I like the wheels(I have the grey wheels) and rack better on the Venture. The rack is little more usable IMO and it is easy to take the basket off if need be. I'm doing my own suspension anyway so the TRD suspension would be just a waste of money for me. This is my only vehicle, so while I love its simplicity and off road capabilities, I still wanted it to be comfortable and appealing to my eye on the inside since I'm in it so much. I didn't know the Venture existed until the end of July this year. Once I saw it, I knew it was THE trim level I wanted. I never liked the 2 tone seats which are in most of the the other trim levels other than Pro or Limited(I think that is starting to change now and was an option in the Trails I believe) The all black dash etc....It had it all.

As far as the things I mentioned when I started this thread, I was really just being super nitpicky or just stating things I would think an engineer would pick up in the design. I had a neighbor who would drive cars for 3 months for BMW, just to get a real world feedback on interior ergonomics etc. My point is, everything in the design gets looked at with a fine tooth comb and not just by designers and engineers. While it doesn't bother me, I just find it quirky in regards to the fact that say the center console is faux carbon fiber while nothing else in the entire car is. ALL of the other surfaces you would think would match are plain black, EXCEPT, the piece over the glove box which is brushed aluminum. None of it bothers me, I just thought it was a weird collection of choices.

4runningMan likes this.
  14. Oct 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    E Man

E Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Venture
    A few less dings would be nice but unfortunately, unless you are on a bicycle, the dings are impossible to avoid. There is a sensor and warning for everything on every car now. My truck makes dings and I still don't know what they are for half the time.

15. Oct 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    You think the 4Runner has too many dings? My wife's Forester has more beeps and dings at things that we have no idea what they are even for. I really like the car but just too many "nannies".

16. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    Yeah, not buying it.

Vehicle before the 4Runner was a 2005 Yukon with 285hp, slight lift, and 285s and averaged 17.5 mpg. 4Runner has less horsepower, is smaller, weighs less, but gets the same mileage.

Vehicle before the Yukon was a Ram 1500 4x4 crewcab with leveling kit, 285s, and 400hp. It averaged 17 mpg. Frustrating to have over 100 less hp and less vehicle mass and yet get the same gas mileage.

Products Discussed in

To Top