1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What did I break?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by TheBFA, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Aug 17, 2014 at 1:44 AM
    TheBFA

TheBFA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    Had to leave my 94 runner near a trail I was at tonight. I'm hoping to be able to get a replacement part in the morning and go repair it to get it home tomorrow. It's about an hour away from me and towing will probably be ridiculous. I'm not sure what to call this part to even ask for a replacement, and I'm not even sure if this is an OEM part. All the mods were done by the previous owner. Any quick help would be greatly appreciated! Both tie rod ends are still connected. It's just this one sheared tie rod end looking piece. I couldn't even figure out where it was originally connected. I'm also assuming I'd have to get the front off the ground to line the wheels back up to get the peeve back to where it's supposed to be if I find a replacement.

Attached Files:

2. Aug 17, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    You broke your idler arm. It's up on the frame, like this:

[​IMG]

You might need to jack up the front of the truck, just so you can turn the steering wheel and get everything lined up. The bigger hassle is going to be getting what's left of the stud on the end of the idler out of the tie rod. If a towtruck can get to you, it might be worth the tow just to work on that in your driveway. Good luck.

3. Aug 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    TheBFA

TheBFA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    Thanks for the input. It actually helped me her on the right track. I got a hold of the previous owner and it's actually a custom box and it was just a heim joint that broke. But being Sunday, no shops that would carry them were open so I just had someone connect it back together with a nut and weld the nut to both halves. I went and bought a high lift jack so I could straighten the wheels out, buy evidently the trick is just to drive in reverse haha. I didn't do it on purpose but the wheels end up being perfect and I got the fixed piece right back in. Literally took 5 min of actual work

BionicRandy likes this.
  4. Aug 18, 2014 at 2:04 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    Time for a bigger heim. :)

5. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    TheBFA

TheBFA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner
    It's a 5/8 thread right now. I'll see what options for replacements they have and I guess I could go buy a tap to fit a bigger one. I'm not sure if I want this part to be the strong point though. Out of all the linkage down there, this would be the easiest to replace, and if I just keep an extra one, it'll be a 5 min fix on the trail if I break it again.

BionicRandy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top