1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What’s Your Next Vehicle Likely to be After This 4 Runner?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Oldtoyotaguy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I can wait a long time and the manufacturers can suck a duck if they think I am going to pay more for an EV than an ICE vehicle. They are trying to cash in with this EV craze and the price points of these things is a complete ripoff. No way in hell it takes near as money to produce an EV with wires, batteries, and a couple of electric motors as it does to produce an ICE equivalent. Even the safety standards and a lot of the engineering hurdles are easier to pass with an EV based vehicle than with ICE. Again this is a huge savings for the manufacturers. There is a reason why they are all scrambling and dumping in billions of dollars to produce these things and it's all about the money.

TN_FunRunner and alittleoff like this.
  2. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Profit before People.

WallyT4R likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy [OP] Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    It’s true there’s fewer moving parts. Basically, as I see it, you’re paying for knowledge content instead of material content. Most things have gone that way including modern vehicles. They’re just plastic and thin sheet metal. But of course, you’re right, they’re trying to make money, just like everyone else. That’s how the world works.

4. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Pro + 2018 Platinum Tundra
    How are they cashing in when you admit they are dumping billions into arguably the largest change in the history of automobiles? Companies invest in their future, this is nothing more.

Material costs are just one component of delivering a vehicle to market. New technologies cost a TON of money (the billions you admit to earlier) to bring to market. Engineering, R&D, developing new supply chains, retooling facilities, etc. How are they gouging when I am sure they won’t be seeing a net profit from their EV programs for some time? Then the economy of scale will bring their costs down. Which will be the case for all manufacturers, and then the competitive market will determine price and profit margin. This is nothing new.

And why are they not entitled to make a profit on new technology?

5. Mar 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Well one thing is for sure, costs are always past on to the consumer. And that is from day one. We, the consumer, can accept it or not buy into it.
    And a lot of us chose not to.

WallyT4R likes this.
  6. Mar 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
  7. Mar 21, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    gunsnob likes this.
  8. Mar 22, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    True, but if that vehicle died out on the interstate in the middle of nowhere, what would you do with it? It’s practical value, to me, is even less than that.

9. Mar 23, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    All good points. What I am saying is I am not going to buy any E vehicle like the stupid cyber truck for $150,000 when I can get a one ton F350 ICE for 3 times less. A $100,000 buys a shit ton of gas and oil. Maybe prices on the E vehicles will come down but I doubt it. Again, there is a reason for the massive amount of investment...the manufacturers see huge profits on the horizon. An of course that is their right, that is what business is all about, and it's my right to not buy into it.

10. Mar 23, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Totally understand and appreciate the point of lower price and reliability buys a bunch of gas and oil. It’s a big reason as to why I drive a Tundra and 4Runner.

Please don’t take this last part as me being pedantic, but pricing for the mentioned Cybertruck is $40K for base, $50k for mid, and $70k for top of the line. Who knows if the price will rise, but based off previous Tesla vehicles it generally doesn’t raise much (they just never end up making much / any of the base models).

But fully admit there is no EV truck out there that can replace a one ton truck. But highly doubt there are many people cross shopping the two. For light towing / recreational half tons, they will be a great option for some...... but dammit a new power stroke Tremor sure would be a kick ass truck too!

WallyT4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 24, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Sadly I have no idea what my next vehicle will be. My business has been closed for 2 weeks because of the hysteria. I doubt I will even be able to keep my 2020 TRD Pro. I'm assuming I will be driving an old Cherokee, old 4 Runner, old Land Cruiser or old Bronco. I guess it depends how long we have to stay closed. Luckily since my business is coaching soccer I have zero overhead so I can start right back up where I left off.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    peter2772000 likes this.
  12. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    peter2772000

peter2772000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Montreal/Cape Coral
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    GTR high and low beams, Victory rear carrier, remote oil filter, Dimple magnetic oil pan plug, interior LED lights, T9 radio, driver side grab handle, 305/50R20 Grabber A/TX on Helo 20 x 9's
    Seeing as these SOB's last as long as they do, I'm guessing that my next mode of transport will be a coffin

13. Mar 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I’m liking this.

F3685406-A613-4102-8022-1921277E0727.jpg

peter2772000 and celaw309 like this.
  14. Mar 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey DallasTRDPro, my heart goes out to you, man! And times are sure to get tougher before they get better again. I'm not sure what the US is including in its 2.2 trillion covid support program, but I hope something is left to help self employed folks like yourself survive after the corporate fat cats get whatever they need.
    Here in Canada, the government is paying all workers up to $847/week for the next 4 months, as well as small business wage subsidies, tax deferrals and other measures to keep the work force in place until the economy can start back up again.

toy33 and WallyT4R like this.
  15. Apr 4, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Well I am looking real hard at a Tundra right now. Same mileage with massive more amount of range, 38 gallon tank. Lower payment but of course extended a few years. 1.9% for 5 years with 90 days of deferred payments. Four years newer than the 4. Truck, so more versatile. Better on road manners. The 4 has it beat off road by far but I don't hardcore off road a $30K vehicle anyway. Last but not least that sweet bulletproof V8 that will be going away for some twin turbo techno crap pretty soon. Going to test drive it Monday. I guess sitting around on days off is not good, I am actually thinking about getting rid of the 4. :anonymous:

toy33 and alittleoff like this.
  16. Apr 4, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They’re great trucks, for sure, but they lack the nimbleness of a 4 Runner. But if you absolutely need that size of vehicle, they’re the best. They’re too big for off road, IMHO.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. Apr 4, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Being as I own both, and have had three Tundras, thought I might chime in on a couple observations. If you don’t feel like reading a novel, I prefer (barely) my 2020 Pro 4R to my 2018 Platinum Tundra. Both are great in their own ways.

MPG: I have an 18 Platinum, but it gets in the mid 14’s for MPG and my 4R gets upper 17’s. Same driver, same daily routes. The large tank on the Tundra in theory is nice, but the fuel gauge reads it as empty at about 30 gallons (feel free to check the Tundras.com site run by the same Folks as this forum, many massive threads on the issue for years, not sure why Toyota does it).

Comfort: Both are very comfortable, but would say the Pro 4R rides and drives better. While the Platinum Tundra seats and leather are better. Tundra rear seat is massive, but the 4R back seat is also quite large. For longer trips we as a family take the 4R.

Technology: Totally depends on the year, but I think you will enjoy the improvements on the 2020 Tundra since they now have proximity entry / push button start / Apple CarPlay. My 2020 4R has those, while my 18 Tundra does not, and they are simple yet very nice upgrades that get used every time you drive.

Stereo: The supposed premium JBL stereo in the Tundras is a JOKE. Worst premium stereo I have ever heard (again check the many threads on Tundras.com). The premium JBL in my Pro blows it out of the water.

Off-road: Yeah, no brainer with the 4R.

Versatility: Toss up really. Having a truck bed is a big deal, but have fit lots into the back of the 4R as well. More covered and secure interior storage on the 4R. If you need to tow, then the Tundra is a big improvement. We have a dog, so the rear cargo area of the 4R is a perfect place for him. Not as ideal a spot in the back seat of the Tundra.

Engine: I love the tried and true 5.7 V8 with the 6 speed, but same for the 4.0 V6 and 5 speed. Both are ancient and not very efficient, but both last forever and are perfect matches to the rest of the vehicle. I however have zero doubt that whatever forced induction / hybrid V6 system Toyota puts in the redesigned Tundra in 2022 will be well built and supremely reliable. It’s simply how they do things..... well, except for what they did to the new Tacoma’s with the 3.5.

Good luck with your decision, and I am sure you will absolutely love a new Tundra!

18. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nice comparison and review, akmerle! Towing, for sure, is a big advantage of the Tundra. Anyone thinking they can safely tow something long and heavy >6000 lbs with a 4 Runner is only kidding themselves. Before everyone piles on about this statement, it can be done, just not easily. Weight and wheel base advantages of the Tundra result in it always pulling the trailer not vice versa.

Thatbassguy and WallyT4R like this.
  19. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    toy33

toy33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T. Batey
    CA: OC LA SD BB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4x4
    Driver Grab handle, Billy 4600 up front, OME 0-2 Sport Shocks in back, CoachBuilder +1 Shackles, AJT accents and fob case, Rear axle breather mod, Meso custom leds, Pass side oem matte clips, Fencing over air ducts, New TRD Pro grill, Black TRD pro led haedlights, Angels baseball steering wheel cover, 'T' Toyota Trucks billet hitch cover. Pro high grade tint all windows, PPF on front hood, grill and lights, led oem black fogs, shorty antenna.
    Tundra is an awesome truck, had a 14 platinum. Ideally wish could have both but not in the cards right now. For a daily driver the Tundra does start to feel like a chore sometimes when just making short trips around the city.

I totally get it though and is the reason I got the 19 4Runner before the eventual redesign and potential 3.5 mess and a ton of nannies not wanted (and of course new model kinks to work out).

With the Virus situation and now gas prices plummeting … probably will see some crazy good deals on all makes but esp full size V8 trucks.

20. Apr 4, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I had a 2008 crewmax. It was my favorite truck ever and I have had many different kinds all the way up to diesel 1 ton Fords. Had to get rid of the Tundra due to divorce and have wanted another since. Was not able to get one due to finances but this extremely unfortunate situation we are in right now does present this opportunity. I do love the 4 but do miss having a truck. I also cannot have both types of vehicles. This again is me searching for a problem I probably don't really have. Maybe I'm just bored out of my mind since everything is closed. Can't even go for a hike, mountain bike, or dirt bike ride so I sit here and think all day on days off. Think about the future and what direction I am heading.

Anyway, I feel they are phasing out the V8 engine and everything will be boosted or EV in the future. Is this a reason to add debt despite lower payment? uh, no, but the 5.7 is probably one of the best V8's ever produced. Is that a reason to do this? Nope.

If I do this I know I will miss the maneuverability of the 4 and it's off road capability. Also I have built the thing, it needs nothing, and it's almost paid off. It's just a great vehicle for what it is but again I am missing a truck for truck reasons. I still don't know what will happen but again hopefully a test drive will reveal the answer. They also need to up their trade offer. Anyway thanks to everyone for kicking this around with me, it always helps to get different view points from good people.

Thatbassguy and toy33 like this.
  21. Apr 4, 2020 at 3:10 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey WallyT4R - I hear you, man, but be disciplined and in these uncertain times don’t add to your debt. My $.02 worth. Your 4R is nice.

22. Apr 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    I have looked at the Tundra a few times. I liked it a lot but ultimately couldn’t get over the bad gas mileage in comparison to other modern V8s. What draws me to it is the space and towing ability. I drive long distances and the 4Runner feels a little cramped with two kids after a couple of hours. And my biggest complaint with the 4Runner is the towing ability. In all honesty my 3.4L Tacoma towed better and I tow fairly light loads well below the posted speed limits. The transmission hunts for gears on the slightest of hills. Other than that it’s a great adventures truck. I don’t adventure much but I tow quite a few times a year. Minus towing I feel I am much happier driving the 4R than the Tundra.

Someone mentioned ride quality earlier...
    My FIL has a 2010 bone stock base F150 4x4 V8 and I am constantly impressed with the ride quality. The truck is smoother than my wife’s Highlander. And a cousin has a 2019 Lariat F150 and that thing is like riding in a cloud even when trailering. With that said I can’t bring myself to buy anything other than a Toyota. Toyota suspensions are historically stiff IMHO though...

7385 and WallyT4R like this.
  23. Apr 4, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    toy33

toy33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T. Batey
    CA: OC LA SD BB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4x4
    Driver Grab handle, Billy 4600 up front, OME 0-2 Sport Shocks in back, CoachBuilder +1 Shackles, AJT accents and fob case, Rear axle breather mod, Meso custom leds, Pass side oem matte clips, Fencing over air ducts, New TRD Pro grill, Black TRD pro led haedlights, Angels baseball steering wheel cover, 'T' Toyota Trucks billet hitch cover. Pro high grade tint all windows, PPF on front hood, grill and lights, led oem black fogs, shorty antenna.
    Remembering the fuel bill is spine chilling but that s p a c e seemed to make it still a win. I do like washing/waxing the T4R much better though and way faster. You forget how huge the Tundy is until it's time to wax.

I believe both the Tundra and 4Runner will be the best classic Toyota's to own and it will be interesting to see if they will make electric versions in the future to rival Rivian and Tesla should that market take over like is being predicted.

Big decision for sure with yours almost paid off … the 4.0/5sp combo is also a bit more reliable and cheaper to fix than the 5.7 once out of warranty.

7385 and WallyT4R[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’ve towed horse trailers with Toyota’s, recently a 2015 Tacoma. It was ok. I wouldn’t attempt to do that regularly with a 4 Runner, although it can handle a small utility trailer, or small tent trailer. Nothing beats a North American pick up with a diesel if you need to haul anything > 5000lbs

7385 and Oey12[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    Those enclosed trailers get real heavy real fast. The Ram and Ford are making some really nice 1/2 ton pickups these days I just can’t leave Toyota’s reliability... Even with the fact that Toyota’s quality control has declined the last 5 years. They have never left me stranded without advanced warnings that something is wrong. I honestly do not need a full-size but it just doesn’t tow that well. My average loads weight between 1 to 3k including trailer (open) which should be no problem for the 4Runner rating. And next year I am going to need a larger trailer which makes me hesitant. Around town it’s more than adequate but when I get on the highway for the longer haul...different story. It’s frustrating at times because I love the truck just wish it had slightly different gearing. As much as I loved the towing ability of the 2nd gen Taco I would never go back.

26. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    IMG_20200406_171225687_HDR.jpg

Next vehicle picked.

Oey12, nimby, toy33 and 2 others like this.
  27. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pretty nice!

28. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Cool, any mods planned? dang, I do miss having a full size truck!

29. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo

The f150’s have tons of room and great ride quality but never had the reliability of the tundra. Loved my tundra...just loved the 4runner a little bit more.

30. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Late reply, but.. Keep the 4runner and buy a Tundra when it's paid off!

Just a thought.

Products Discussed in

To Top