1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wet passenger floorboard

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Toffees, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Jun 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    Toffees

Toffees [OP] Stuff and things

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    I'm pretty sure I've read similar stories before but can't find anything in the search (I spent over 2 minutes looking). We had a strong rain and next morning my passenger floorboard was soaking wet. No window/etc was open, I presume it was a seal somewhere was blocked or leaked due to rain coming from that direction. It appears to have dried up pretty quickly (fingers crossed).

My previous truck (Honda Ridgeline) would collect water in some doors if the seals were dirty. That was a weird situation but pretty easy to figure out and fix. I presume this was a combination of rain direction and intensity with something like a dirty door seal. Does that make sense, or is there anything else to check out.

I did not find any other wet areas--no trails of water on the door, dashboard, headliner, or anything to suggest the leak came from above. I suppose it could have all dumped into the air filter and come through... maybe should check that as well.

Any thoughts or similar experience?

2. Jun 15, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I had the same experience in a Forester. Noticed the wet passenger side floor after a heavy rain. Could not identify any sources of a leak. Then I discovered it had nothing to do with the rain. The AC condensate drain tube was clogged, and it backed up into a condensate collection pan beneath the glovebox, overflowing it. I used compressed air to clear the drain tube and the problem never recurred.

Alas, I do not know where the 4Runner's AC condensate tube etc is located.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Toffees[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    I know that's an issue as well, had not considered it may be the culprit given the circumstances, but will check that out as well. Thanks.

Singleminded[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Please let us know how it goes. Would be good to document this issue, and the fix, on the forum.

5. Jun 15, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Ah, that requires a lot more investigation than I was hoping to do... ;)

6. Dec 30, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Back on this, I'm pretty sure I have a leak in the A pillar. I had my AC drain cleared out in the past 12 months and had the wet floorboard again this morning. Always after a good rain. There were a few drops of water on my floor mat, but the carpet was soaked below and the plastic panel below the glove box was wet like it was dripping water (will post some pictures later). Got a towel to get up the water and when I was ready to go, backed up then turned forward down my driveway and heard a gurgling sound on the driver side above my head. When I got out, water was pouring out underneath the door/on the frame in the same location as the passenger side (A pillar) except this does not leak in the cabin. If I have to guess, water is leaking inside/running down the A pillar in the gap between the windshield and the rubber liner on the roof. No idea why it's collecting and not simply running off.

Edit: I drive a 16 LE with moonroof, but I don't think the water is coming in from the moonroof.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  7. Dec 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Back with some awesome graphics. Here is what I see under my floor mat when I remove it. Sometimes the floor mat has a pool of water as well, but this time it only had a few drops of water.

[​IMG]

Here is one place the water appears to be coming from, inside the door frame underneath the A pillar:

[​IMG]

I've never experienced this on the driver side before, but today after I started moving i heard a gurgling sound on the driver side. When I got out the water was pouring out of this location. I only got pictures of it dripping. It looks like this rocker panel is catching the water dripping off the frame above it.

[​IMG]

A better shot of the location, but you can't see the actually pooling/dripping. These two shots (above, below) are driver side where I heard the gurgling sound; again, have never seen water inside on the floor mat on the driver side; have never heard the gurgling sound on the pax side. Both seem to be the same issue.

[​IMG]

If I'm a guessing man, I think the water is coming in these gaps. It looks like the water should be sheeting down, but for some reason when we get heavy rain and I'm not moving, it moves down frame instead of along the windshield. (Awesome arrows included for graphic effect.)

Driver side
    [​IMG]

Passenger side

[​IMG]

8. Dec 30, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    cuse93

cuse93 New Member

Member:
    Same thing happened to me with a Tacoma

9. Dec 30, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    JL-2022

JL-2022 New Member

Member:
    I had a similar problem with my last 4runner. Thought it was the sun roof so i temporarily taped it but that didn't help. Ended up taking it to a windshield place and they found that it had a few spots that didn't have sealant under it. They removed, cleaned it up and replaced. No more issues

Toffees[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    Was your windshield original or had you replaced it?

11. Dec 30, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    JL-2022

JL-2022 New Member

Member:
    Not really sure. I had never had it replaced but I bought it used with not a lot of records. It was also an older model (2005) but just wanted to throw it out there as a possible. I had gone thru everything I could find on the forums and nothing else worked so that was my last option

mrmike7189 and Toffees[OP] like this.
  12. Apr 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    Toffees

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 LE
    This seems resolved. Got some positive feedback at the local Toyota dealer (although from showroom people) on the windshield leak so I took it to a glass place locally. They looked at it 30s and basically guaranteed it was the moonroof drains. I got them to clean it out and the issue has not recurred, although I've only had a few hard rains since, but seems promising. So in the end, looks like it was the moonroof, just not leaking from the moonroof itself but a clogged drain line coming down the A pillar from the moonroof.

MyWyfsRnnr and LandCruiser like this.
  13. Apr 26, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Yeah. The windshield rubber looks like crap but is within spec.

14. Apr 28, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    grizzlypath

grizzlypath New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP-KDSS
    For anyone else, this guy on the other 4Runner forum did a great write-up on cleaning all (4) sunroof drains. Definitely something to add to your preventative maintenance list if you live in an environment where this could potentially happen!

Curt56 likes this.
  15. Apr 28, 2022 at 7:06 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    Main reason i avoided 4Runner Limited and any vehicles with Moon/Sunroofs.

My Mercury Mountaineer Moonroof leaked throughout years of ownership. They couldn't find/trace the leak

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Curt56 and Slopemaster like this.
  16. Apr 28, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    rphillips66

rphillips66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Charleston SC/ Gastonia NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium
    I'm not sure if all toyota sunroofs are designed the same or not. I had the same issue in my Avalon. The drain tubes from the sunroof were clogged from pollen and debris causing it to drain in my floorboards.

Allen

17. Apr 28, 2022 at 9:48 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    Pretty much any vehicle with a sun roof or moon roof has this same design no matter what manufacturer. They have a gutter for any rain that gets around the seals and it goes down the pillar and typically behind the passenger wheel. Very common issue because dirt and dust collects in these tubes and plugs them up then leak. Every time a car comes in the shop with this type of leak on the pass floorboard that is the first place we look.

grizzlypath likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top