1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warm up / High Idle

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Chucklehead, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Nov 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    Chucklehead

Chucklehead [OP] Enjoy the ride! You only get one trip

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Black TRD ORP
    Stock AF, with subtle personality tweaks
    The Runner has a very noticeable high idle at start up. Notice it steps down reasonably quick so far … suppose its temp dependent though.
    Ive noticed after letting it step down and i back out and put in drive it seems to be a pretty high idle still as it jumps a bit.

wondering, how long others sit at idle before switching into gear?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Nov 15, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    In my 99 'Runner, I start it up, make sure no idiot lights are going to come on, fasten my seatbelt, set the temperature controls, make sure my lovely wife is all set and buckled in, all told give it about 5 mins.
    Then, as my house is in a subdivision with dirt roads, and a 15 MPH speed limit, and I live at the top of a hill, I let the high idle take me down to my mail box at the entrance to the subdivision. About 5 min under a load as the truck idles along right about the speed limit, in 2nd gear. I let it sit while I grab the mail, say a 3rd 5 Mins.

SO, by the time I actually hit the paved roads, about a 15 minute warm up. If the temp gauge isn't at normal operating temp by then...
    AND the idle is down to the normal, warmed up value. Say about 750-800 RPM on the gauge set's tach.

That's how I do mine...
    Pat☺

3. Nov 15, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    High idle at startup is usually emissions related. It’s heating the catalytic converters up. Nothing unusual.

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Nov 15, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I wait about 15 seconds from start-up when it's warm out. In colder weather, I wait a bit longer. When it's really cold (single digit or negative. Fahrenheit, I try to wait until I see the temperature needle start moving.

There's really no need to "warm up" a vehicle any more. However, it's good to go easy on it until it reaches normal operating temperature.

5. Nov 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    I only warm up a vehicle if it allows me to see. Other than that, start it, wait 5-10 seconds, basically for Bluetooth connection, then go. Just don’t mash the gas until it’s warmed up. These vehicles still have an analog temperature gauge. Appreciate it before it’s gone.

To Top