1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve adjustment?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Oak22, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Jun 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    Oak22

Oak22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 3VZ-FE 4Runner
    So my 98 manual 4Runner 2.7 L, has been sounding kind of chunky when starting cold and idling pretty rough, there is also a slight rattle when I accelerate quickly, at about 2800 rpms, but it disappears after a few seconds. My mechanic says my valves probably need to be adjusted (I've got 121,500 miles) but he can't do it because he doesn't have the right shim kit. I've called around and another mechanic told me I was crazy, and I definitely shouldn't get the valves adjusted. He said just to watch for a check engine light... Everything I've read online has me even more confused - some things (like Toyota maintenance schedule manual) says valves should be adjusted every 60k, other people say they've never adjusted their valves and they have 300k.
    I am still quite a newbie, just trying to learn about my truck so I can keep the beast healthy. Any wisdom or insight about valve adjustments would be appreciated!

Products Discussed in

To Top