1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USR Depo 4Runner Headlights Review

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by dav1dr2, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Jan 12, 2022 at 5:59 PM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    Putting this out there as there isn’t that many reviews on these and only a few seem to just shed light on how good they are. Want to provide a real review of this product and the ones behind them. In summary recommend getting another brand of headlights and to stay away from the USR Depo ones. Reliability of product is very questionable and their customer support is TERRIBLE.

Installed the Unique Style Racing Depo headlights. Low beams are bright and the DRLs even brighter. Overall quality is good and close to OEM. Recently had an issue and thought nothing of it as it corrected after some actuation of the light switch.

Issue was the passenger side headlight DRL was flickering whether in DRL mode or low beam parking light mode. Issue went away after turning light switch on and off a few times. A few days later happened again and issue is persistent to the passenger side headlight.

Reached out to Unique Style Racing for some assistance on the matter with video footage and all they cared for was confirmation of order. Proceeded by letting them know it wasn’t ordered through them and was reaching out to get a direct line of support. Long story short they wrote me off and was not helpful at all. Instead of them providing customer support and a potential to root cause issue to make a better future product. They just assumed a return or refund was needed and I advised them that was not the case and wanted to know if similar issues have been reported and if possible troubleshooting steps can be given. Again useless responses were given and no further help provided.

Adding perspective to the above. Recently had Morimoto XB Fog Lights fail after 6 years of use, reached out for support and they ended up sending out a new set free of charge as it was still covered under their stellar 10 year warranty. Definitely recommend Morimoto as a brand to invest in and not so much Unique Style Racing. Hope this helps someone. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    onaquest

onaquest New Member

Member:
    I've been considering the USR/Depo lights.

So they just left you hanging? no troubleshooting or replacement?
    I'd be interested in seeing the video you mentioned.

3. Jan 15, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    Yup, pretty much left me hanging. They told me to go deal with it from where it was purchased.
    Tried leaving a review on their site for the lights and they delete it. So I’m guessing the reviews for their site is all fake.
    I have a video, but do not know how to post it. The passenger DRL is basically flashing rapidly, but in the video it shows to be flashing slow. If you have an email I can send the video your way.
    Just consider this review before purchasing. The lights are nice when they work, but a failure within less than a year kind of sucks with no support from manufacturer. They told me if I buy Nike from Footlocker you don’t go to Nike with your problems you go to Footlocker.

4. Jan 15, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    FYI, I did a search about USR Depo lights after the failure. dug around further and looks like Tacoma owners are having issues with DRL on their USR lights. Seems they aren’t getting any support from them either and end up changing the lights with another brand.

5. Jan 15, 2022 at 10:49 AM
    onaquest

onaquest New Member

Member:
    Sucks that you have to deal with this.

It sounds like they're wanting you to go through the seller. Was the seller able to help?

6. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    j4unner

j4unner shootz brah..

Member:
    First Name:
    j4runner
    nCal
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5P
    There was a thread on tail lights and USR was brought up..

I ordered a set of tail lights to get rid of the chrome. Installed and a couple days got water and condensation on both lights. Reached out to them show pictures and videos. They replied that it was normal and it would go away in two weeks or so. Nah, miss me with the BS.. After a couple weeks and emails back and forth they finally approved my return.

Service and products are not up to par..just wanted to share about USR, buyer beware..

7. Jan 15, 2022 at 11:32 AM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    onaquest: emailed seller and waiting on a response. Hopefully they will be able to help.

j4unner: thanks on letting me know on your experience with them.

j4unner and onaquest like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    Yes, over in TacomaWorld, Depo headlights have been pretty well thrashed by various members as junk.

9. Jan 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    Too Stroked: Thanks for confirming and sharing that.

Currently, still driving around with the USR Depo lights installed. Contemplating swapping back to OEM.

Will keep the thread updated with results as they come in.

10. Jan 15, 2022 at 1:58 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I'm a firm believer in OEM headlights - and many other parts. The aftermarket stuff just doesn't have the engineering or manufacturing expertise behind it that OEM has. Yes, the OEM 4Runner halogens suck, but that's a pretty rare strike by Toyota.

dav1dr2[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 12, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    dav1dr2

dav1dr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Trail White
    *Follow up*

Reached out to YotaMafia for support. Which they provided EXCELLENT customer service.

Checked wiring as advised and no issues found within wiring. An LED module needed to be replaced, due to a known temperature issue. Replaced LED module, which seemed to work for about a day with no issues.

After a day or so weird things started happening. DRL worked fine, but when in parking or low beam mode the DRL started flickering.

Contacted YotaMafia again with videos of issue and they advised a headlight replacement was needed. And that it was not covered under warranty due to it being expired a few weeks out. FYI, warranty period is only 6 months.

They mentioned due to these types of issues they no longer sell the lights and offered a discount on a different set of headlights. Opted out of that for a partial refund and kept existing lights. I’m going to run them with the DRL unplugged or somehow try to fix them. Hopefully no other issues arise. Really want to see how long these things will last.

12. Mar 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    Interesting. I too bought those tail lights and one of them gets condensation too. On the other one, there's a large smear on the clear (outside) part of the lens that looks like someone rubbed a rag with acetone on it. Overall very disappointed in a very expensive product.

j4unner[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top