1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using rav4 as an off-road vehicle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by redfield, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Nov 5, 2022 at 4:35 PM
    redfield

redfield [OP] New Member

Member:
    A friend of mine has this Rav4, Gen 3, 2009 which he wants to upgrade a little and take off-road. Do you think it's a good idea to use Rav4 with new suspension and probably bigger wheels as an off-roader?

2. Nov 5, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Rav4 is not bad to take offroad with just tire upgrades. I would not go to extremes like suspension, skids, etc. Rav4 do has spacer lift from companies like ReadyLift. I don't know of real suspension lift (i did not search). If your friend has 17in wheels he is lucky you have good tire options like KO2s. My one got steel rims and when I damage my rim I was surprised Discount tire didn't even take money when they fix it. Then I upgraded to a 4runner.

IMO every vehicle has its limits. Even the 4runner. It's not capable as a wrangler offroad right? So why not enjoy with Rav4 and understand its capabilities and decide the limit to spend. Normally people don't have money to upgrade like the Rav4 rally vehicle right? Normally when you hit a certain limit you go to a better one.

Just my thought having a Rav4 in the past. I think 2009 is also the same dynamic torque control AWD with center diff lock button?

Trail Runnah likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF

Products Discussed in

To Top