1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upper Grill lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jrunr, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Oct 29, 2021 at 2:10 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey Metallic TRD Pro
    I am looking to see what you all are using for upper grill lights. Because the 2021 4Runners have the sensors in the lower grilles, it kills our ability to run larger light bars. So i am looking for lights that can be run in the upper grille. I would like to use them in a driving/spot/combo pattern to augment the headlights and high beams.

Here is what I have seen as potential options so far:

Diode Dynamics SS6 light bar kit: https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage...ightbar-kit-for-2014-2021-toyota-4runner.html

or

Baja Designs S8 Light bar kit: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Toyota-4Runner-TRD-14-18-Dual-S8-Mount-Kit-10-S8.asp

Are there any other options you all are using?

2. Oct 29, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    suaveflooder likes this.
  3. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Well, hell...

What do you use them for? High-beam augmentation?

4. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Method 703 - Nitto G2 - C4 Ladder - UpTop Rack - EIbach 2.0 Coilovers & Load Levling Kit (250) Victory Strike Sliders - Dometic 55 - EcoFlow Delta
    Lol sweet comparison, a 32 inch bar v 2x6

5. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Yep, they are to help the pathetic stock led high-beams.
    upload_2021-10-29_9-15-51.jpg

6. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:24 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Ha haa..

$60 vs $260..:p:p:p

suaveflooder likes this.
  7. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Method 703 - Nitto G2 - C4 Ladder - UpTop Rack - EIbach 2.0 Coilovers & Load Levling Kit (250) Victory Strike Sliders - Dometic 55 - EcoFlow Delta
    Yeah but man, that's a terrible comparison. How long did you run the Amazon bar? 500 hours? Did it have the same throw as a 30" DD bar? Do they have the same draw? Probably not. And that's because a lightbar on Amazon isn't Dot-compliant so you can't run it 24/7. You can run your DD lights though.

All I was implying is that comparing a light bar you might see at a rave compared to a purpose built (albeit cheap ) light bar that's 10x bigger in area isn't exactly fact finding.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  8. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    I didn't come here to troll you, either. And @Jrunr you can find lower grille solutions for the TSS that includes a full bar.

suaveflooder likes this.
  9. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Looks like you love the expensive grill lights so I won't hurt your feelings. :D

10. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Hahaha I have a Cali Raised Bar.

It's like ... You're begging me to teach you.

11. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Absolutely. That's why I'm here in the forum. I share what I have and I learn from others. I'm very glad we have members like you only to teach. Thank you for your service..:bowdown:

12. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    donnermel likes this.
  13. Oct 29, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    So, you put it behind the TSS and it just blocks those lights in that section of the bar? Doesn't it over heat them?

14. Oct 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    The plastic below the sensor doesn't do anything. Remove it. That's where the light bar will go. Check the install vids.

15. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    For that location I would like an amber bar… but I would still like the upper grille lights to augment my highbeams.

(I also plan to go with either the DD SS3 Max or Baja Designs pro Wide Cornering fog lights as well).

16. Oct 29, 2021 at 9:24 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I bet BD would have better light output.

I'm not happy with DD product I got.

Update-

BTW I was thinking if there's a way to have a light bar on stock roof rack. Else the best option would be after market bumper with a good light bar may be from BD.

17. Oct 30, 2021 at 10:54 PM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  18. Nov 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    I haven’t seen any videos where anyone removed that. Can you please share the link?

thanks!!

19. Nov 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    stunner_4runner

stunner_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Radflo Stage 3 Lift Kit- 2.5 Extended Front & Rear RR Adjustable Coilovers Total Chaos Upper Arms ARB rear medium springs 3” Aiden James Switchback Fog Bezel Lights 4Runner Lifestyle Amber Raptor Grill Lights Trail Standard Offroad Satin/Matte Black TSO Pro Grille with 4Runner Letters Baja Designs WC Amber Fog Lights Baja Designs XL Sport Amber Ditch Lights with Cali Raised Ditch Light Brackets 2 Baja Designs LP6 Amber Behind the grille lights 2 SNS Designs 5" Amber Behind the grille lights N-FAB behind the grill lighting mount Pedal commander Jet Performance Mass Flo Air Sensor 315/70/17 Cooper STT Pro Fuel Rims Custom Magnaflow exhaust with Series 50 Flowmaster Muffler Alpharex Nova Midnight Black Headlights AFE Momentum GT Dry Filter CAI BantamX Touchscreen for Universal with sPOD Alpharex PRO-Series LED Tail Lights Jet Black Mid-Atlantic Off-Roading Full Length Roof Rack Outgear Solutions Low Key Front Bumper 4WDKING 30’ LED Light Bar for the Bumper RSG Front Skid Plate
    Another option would be to put 2 Lp6 Baja Designs Lights or 2 LP4's behind the grille. I also have the TSS and put 2 LP6 lights to each side of the sensor. The output of the LP6 lights is amazing. I currently just purchased and need to install 2 LP4 lights that will sit on each side of my LP6 lights. I went with the NFAB behind the grille lighting mount. Reason why, has more options of where to add more lights and easy install. Here is a pic of my Runner with my 2 Lp6 Lights, if you choose to go that route. I also cut out the lower mesh grille where my LP6 lights are sitting, so it would not block the light output.

runner.jpg

Dabigono and Stumpjumper21 like this.
  20. Nov 4, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    Commited

Commited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    All those lights looks great but are the Diode Dynamic lights the only SAE compliant lights?

stunner_4runner likes this.
  21. Nov 4, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    stunner_4runner

stunner_4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Radflo Stage 3 Lift Kit- 2.5 Extended Front & Rear RR Adjustable Coilovers Total Chaos Upper Arms ARB rear medium springs 3” Aiden James Switchback Fog Bezel Lights 4Runner Lifestyle Amber Raptor Grill Lights Trail Standard Offroad Satin/Matte Black TSO Pro Grille with 4Runner Letters Baja Designs WC Amber Fog Lights Baja Designs XL Sport Amber Ditch Lights with Cali Raised Ditch Light Brackets 2 Baja Designs LP6 Amber Behind the grille lights 2 SNS Designs 5" Amber Behind the grille lights N-FAB behind the grill lighting mount Pedal commander Jet Performance Mass Flo Air Sensor 315/70/17 Cooper STT Pro Fuel Rims Custom Magnaflow exhaust with Series 50 Flowmaster Muffler Alpharex Nova Midnight Black Headlights AFE Momentum GT Dry Filter CAI BantamX Touchscreen for Universal with sPOD Alpharex PRO-Series LED Tail Lights Jet Black Mid-Atlantic Off-Roading Full Length Roof Rack Outgear Solutions Low Key Front Bumper 4WDKING 30’ LED Light Bar for the Bumper RSG Front Skid Plate
    For the Baja Designs Fog Lights, you can purchase their SAE fogs. I decided to go with the Wide Cornering Fogs that are not compliant. I also am running an SPOD BantamX Touchscreen, so I have the ability to lower the light output on my lights.

Example: I have my Fog Lights to 12% output, so I can run them while driving and not blind the hell out of people.

As for my ditch lights and LP6 lights, I have them at 100% output for off-roading, but can adjust the output with my SPOD.

I want to say that Baja Designs only gives you the option to purchase SAE Fog lights. All of their other lights are not SAE.

22. Nov 4, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    After the experience of SAE/DOT DD lights I wish I bought non SAE/DOT lights as I only need them on forest / rural road when there is no vehicles around. I just need more light output. Again, just my personal preference.

23. Nov 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    Commited

Commited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    Sorry should have clarified, I was asking about the behind the grill lights the OP was inquiring about, from sound of it DD lights are the only SAE compliant. I was also interested in installing that kind of light.

24. Nov 4, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter New Member

Member:
    I hate that page...it has gotten me so many times. I read it and say, cool, $59.99 for a light bar kit and light bar and then click Build and BAM, $240 later. I think its such a misleading page, but oh well.

25. Nov 6, 2021 at 2:24 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    I think I am going to try and find a way to get dual 10" Baja Designs ONX6+ lights in that upper grill. It may take some creativity, but I think it will pay BIG dividends if I can get it figured out...

26. Apr 29, 2022 at 12:53 AM
    Jrunr

Jrunr [OP] 2021 TRD Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    How is that kick-as Baja Designs setup working for you? LP6s and LP4s in the grille ,must be insane! Do you have any night shots or output pictures?

27. May 1, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    I think we've batted this around on T4R.org.

Decide what your needs are. Do you want a near -range flood light? If so, any of the Amazon/eBay bars will do that for you for a good price. Most, if not all of them, are dozens of cheap chips soldered to a board with a single mold of shallow reflective cones pasted over them. They will not control the light far downrange, but they work great as a flood light for slow speed off-road work.

If you want control and downrange performance, you will need lights with performant optics. This means lights with large rear-firing reflectors (KC Gravity series), deep forward-firing reflectors (Baja Designs), or TIR optics (Diode Dynamics).

Next, decide your limitations. Do you want SAE J581 compliance for on-road legality? Keep in mind that you can get ticketed with uncovered lights even when they're not turned on. If you have SAE compliant markings on your lights, you can show the LEO that your lights are legal to use uncovered on the road. The KC Gravity driving lights are the most performant in the category. Diode Dynamics also makes compelling options in the SS6 kits, as well as SS3 and SSC2 driving lights in both pro and sport power levels. Rigid also makes an SAE bar, but I haven't seen instrumented review of it yet.

SAE J581 compliant lighting has some limitations. It must adhere to strict pattern and intensity requirements, so not every style of light can be compliant. Some are too dim, some are too bright, some are too unfocused (poor pattern control). Auxiliary high beams are also REQUIRED to be mounted in pairs (no single or triple lights). Rigid gets around this limitation with their single bar by placing a large black spacer in the middle of the light segments. Lights also must be mounted between 22” (min) and 54” (max) from the ground, on the same horizontal plane as far apart as practical. This means that you cannot use ditch lights or roof lights as legal driving lights, as those locations on our trucks are too high to be compliant.

If you do not want or need compliant auxiliary lighting, the sky is the limit.

Lastly for limitations is size and fit. Do you need the lights to mount in a certain location? If it's behind the upper grille, you are limited in the size and mounting brackets for your lights. The big KC reflectors, Baja LP6, or SS5 pods are not going to fit there. Consider mounting lights in the lower grill if you still want to tuck those in. For upper grill mounting, you will need to stick to smaller pods or bars.

The Rigid bar might be a good idea if you have the fully open Pro-style grille and want to max out your SAE compliant lighting space.

For me, I do both. I have SAE compliant auxiliary high beams and fog lights, as well as a Diode bar and Baja S2 ditch lights on the roof.

[​IMG]

I'm also working on redesigning my upper grill mounts to make room for a second set of SS3 pods. These will be combo 4000K units angled out to the side for cornering lights. My compliant lighting is maxed out, so these will not be road legal.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top