1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade advice for a student on a budget? 04 4R 4WD with 200k miles

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by R3LIC, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Sep 8, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    R3LIC

R3LIC [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicolas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota 4runner SR5 V6 4WD
    none
    Hi, I'm planning to mod my truck to make it taller and such, but I am hesitant to even mod it in the first place given the fact that it is over 200k miles. I am:
    - Looking to lift my at least truck 3"
    - give it offroad tires
    - give it new level 8 rims
    - planning to get deeper sounding mufflers
    - give it a cold air intake
    - install an aftermarket radio system

Keep in mind, I live in California so the emissions laws are very strict here and that I am only 18 making just over minimum wage so my budget is not very big ($1,500-$2,000). I understand that my budget is a joke compared to how much it would cost to make a quality upgrade but I seriously do not have the money to do that much because I am a full time student with a part time job. Not sure what to do here, any advice?

4runner covered license plate.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Sep 10, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    YetiX

YetiX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD
    Wheels, tires, suspension, armor, racks, LED's, sleeping platform, surfboards, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
    Considering your budget, I would focus on modifications that actually do something. A CAI and exhaust will only make your 4R louder, but don't add much, if any, performance. If you scour Craigslist and the Classifieds on the various forums, you can find great deals on parts. You should be able to find a set of Bilstein 5100's and springs for $500 or less. (Keep in mind you'll need an alignment after you lift) I'd focus on tires, not wheels. You can get great deals on takeoffs in the same places. If you want to change up your look, Plastidip your wheels. I did that for a while until I was able to find a great deal on the wheels I wanted. Finally, you can get a decent aftermarket unit with Bluetooth, etc. for less than $300 new, less if you can find one used. Those basic mods can all be done within your budget if you look hard enough.

Good luck and welcome!

jgcaps, norcal1, RonT4R and 2 others like this.
  3. Dec 27, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    norcal1

norcal1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black Limited 4Runner
    5100’s- set to highest in front - added spacer in back, sits about 2 1/2 taller. BF KO2 275/70 17. sold- 1991 Runner -22RE manual -i miss
    i got bilstein 5100’s for about 350-400 from tractor supply warehouse. set to highest in front and back and added a spacer in back to level it more.
    easy and cheap-and it was UP all the sudden. Rides nice.
    also BF goodrich KO 2 275/70/17 on stock 04 limited rims. looks nice - rather have custom black TRD or ... but for now it works.
    you can plastic dip them and give them a different feel for couple bucks and time!
    maybe plastic dip your wording and headlights for a “look” all for couple bucks and time also.
    other than the tires - (price) which i needed anyway.... that was about it and made a huge difference in look and ride (snow/ trails)

4. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    jgcaps

jgcaps Lovin the Colorado Life.!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD ORP KDSS 4Runner
    3" Icon Stage 2, 18x9 Fuel Beast wheels, 285/65/18 BFG KO2's, N-FAB Black Rock Rails w/removable steps.
    Window tint..?

5. Jan 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    tint the windows, upgrade sound system. when i was driving 40 miles one way to work every day these practical mods made it a much more enjoyable experience to ride in

jgcaps likes this.
  6. Jan 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    My best advice.

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Making minimum wage only part time. There will be a time to you can blow money on vehicles but it doesn't sound like right now its it. I remember wanting to mod the crap out of my car while in high school and college. I'm glad I held off and saved my money.

TN_FunRunner and SlvrSlug like this.
  7. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    FFloresjr775

FFloresjr775 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner
    Save your money 2003-2005 are infamous for head gaskets leaks! Had to replace mine at 190K

Products Discussed in

To Top