1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Update on my spacer lift.

Discussion in '5th Gen Builds (2010-2024)' started by rkwfxd, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Nov 22, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    I've had my TRD ORP for almost two years. Did some research and talked to a few other owners and decided that for ME, at this point, a spacer lift with wheel spacers would do the trick.

Picked up some used Spydertrax wheel spacers a few months ago and threw them on. Had no issues with shimmies or shakes or handling. (Note: I also used wheel spacers and suspension spacers on my Jeep TJ and had no issues years ago.)

Then, about two months ago I had a 4X4 trip coming up and decided I needed to pull the trigger on the lift, found a local shop and had them install a 3" spacer lift (Basically the Toytech) and BFG 285's. When the shop added the lift and tires, they of course included balancing and alignment.

Hmmm, OK. Driving around town it was just OK. Not crazy off but not OMG this is great either. I don't drive on the freeway much but when I did I felt a very slight shimmy at 50-55. It kind of came and went. But over time, it just seemed to get a bit worse. Or maybe I started to notice it more.

Also, the tires would hit the body mounts on both sides when I backed out of my driveway but that is common and I figured my next mod would be a BMC.

Finally I had enough and figured if I pulled the wheel spacers (free - my garage), everything would be cool. But dang they make the Runner look tuff. (And let's just ignore the fact that Idid not have the shimmy before the lift but with the spacers Right?)

So before I pulled them, I decided to have a different shop check the balance and alignment.

Holy crooked teeth Batman! EVERYTHING was off. Wheels were out of balance by about 3 ounces +/- each and EVERY spec for the front end was in the red. New shop, Big O in La Mirada, was able to get every spec back in the green except for caster due to the lift and non-adjustable UCAs. They were able to improve it though from about 1.5 degrees to 2.6 and 2.8. (Factory Spec is about 3.5 degrees I think)

So, as a result and as you would expect, the Runner drives MUCH better, holds a line noticeably better, and the tire rub backing out of my driveway is gone to the right and MUCH reduced to the left (I have to be at full lock and backing down hill.)

So what's my takeaway on this? Next time I do a lift and the shop says they will include the alignment I am going to make sure they provide me with a computer print out of the alignment specs.

YMMV

2. Nov 22, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    doublewide

doublewide New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR PREM
    I'm also in SoCal, may I ask where the first shop was?

BTW Sorry you had to go through this but glad you got it figured out!

Short story: When I had my new bigger tires put on by a mobile company I was getting some wheel shakes about 45-50 mph, called them up, they came back out, free of charge and redid all the wheels. they were off balance. All is good now!

3. Dec 31, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I would never trust any shops alignment unless I’m there watching

ymmv

4Runner fun and rkwfxd[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top