1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unhappy with new suspension

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 4runningMan, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    This is what I’m thinking.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 9, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    4runningMan

Member:
    New Mexico
    Is the front end on a 4wd really that much heavier than a 2wd? I never would have guessed there was that much difference. Clearly there is a difference.

3. Nov 9, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    Yes. Transfer case and front diff aren't exactly lightweight. Not monsters but not light. I had a set of coilovers on a 2wd Tacoma that rode super stiff. Swapped them to a 4wd Tacoma and was noticeably smoother due to added weight pushing em down.

4. Dec 18, 2023 at 3:17 PM
    dealmaker

dealmaker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Three 4th gen 4Runners and LX470
    ...4 years later...Hi everyone! Came across this while searching the google and thought I'd add my $0.02 worth. I bought the same struts the OP bought (SR4119 (right) and SR4120 (left)), and for one of my 2WD/RWD 4Runners (I own a few of them) and had exact same issue...so the difference between RWD and 4WD may not be the issue causing them to sag. Here's what I posted up somewhere else, and I'm going back and forth w/KYB but they're telling me "Unfortunately, Rock Auto is not an authorized KYB retailer and products purchased from third party retailers do not qualify under the KYB Warranty."

TL;DR – They bottom out on every speed bump I take, and I take them at very slow speeds. Any large parking lot like Costco is just one of many examples of where and when it bottoms out, and that is unloaded with only one occupant (me). Would not recommend these struts!

I bought a L/R set of these via Rock Auto and had them professionally installed, and then alignment completed, a year ago. The bottoming out issue was immediate whenever I’d go over speedbumps, which I do at a very slow speed. This is for a 2006 2WD 4Runner V8 that is stock.

I purchased these because they came preassembled and with new coil springs. Before I bought, I (thought) I researched diligently, and I moved forward under the impression these would be comparable to OEM Toyota struts (although IIRC Toyota only sold the shock portion of the strut and one would have to move the coil springs from old to new prior to installing). Reviews looked good, some opined that KYB made the OEM struts, etc.
    For reference sake, I have three 4th gens. I replaced the front struts (shock part only) with Toyota OEM 2.5 yrs ago on my stock 2003 2WD V8 4Runner and do not have these bottoming out issues when I drive that 4Runner over the same speedbumps under identical conditions. And that was with reusing the original 20 yr. old front coil springs.

I reached out to Rock Auto and I can warranty-exchange the KYB struts with an identical (same make/model) strut, which seems pointless as it’s a far inferior product IMO.So...I'm hosed with this product, I have low confidence in them and will likely replace in the not-to-distant future.

Hence, the reason for this post is that if anyone is researching replacing their OEM front struts with these KYB Strut-Plus products, think twice. I’m going to start looking for better front struts for a stock 2WD 4Runner. Hopefully Bilstein has a complete strut assembly (includes new front coils) in their product offerings.

5. Dec 18, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    4runningMan

Member:
    New Mexico
    I wonder if your V8 is the issue. Too heavy?

I’m the OP. We swapped out the RWD KYB’s and replaced them with the 4WD KYB’s and our sagging issue went away immediately. Shocks rode just fine. But we have a V6, not V8.

6. Dec 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    dealmaker

dealmaker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Who knows, so frustrating!! I did use the "vehicle chooser" gizmo on several different seller sites of the KYB shocks and selected V8 on those that asked me to select between 6 and 8 cyl. (like Rock Auto's site). The KYB Catalong on their site doesn't ask about what engine though, even thouigh it recommends the struts I bought. Also, to be sure, the photo of the 4Runner in my avatar is NOT the 4Runner I put the KYBs on.

7. Dec 19, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    dealmaker

dealmaker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Follow up from KYB as to them bowing out of troubleshooting this with me:

"I am happy to hear that RockAuto is willing to help you with your warranty.

I understand your frustrations, businesses can purchase our products from our authorized retailers; however, without them buying it from us we cannot guarantee authenticity.

This is why the warranty is not honored."

That implies that possibly my purchase from Rock Auto were knock-offs, which would be hard to imagine. However I did find a post from a few yrs back on another Toyota forum where someone had the exact same issue as me, same parts and purchased thru Rock Auto. The mystery continues...and I guess if I want to fix it'll be at my own cost : (

8. Jan 9, 2024 at 10:16 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    The only shocks that I know of that will level your stock 4Runner are the Bilstein 5100 series, just have the snap ring put on the middle location. I imagine if you just order stock replacement shocks you will get the stock ride height. Just my thoughts.

9. Jan 12, 2024 at 4:29 PM
    Libagui

Libagui New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Librado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4runner limited.
    If yours is a 4th gen, 3rd gen coilovers will label you perfectly.

10. Jan 12, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Why anyone buys from rock auto beats me.

They can pound sand after they tried to charge me $1200 to ship rotors to Hawaii.

Products Discussed in

To Top