1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbocharged 4Runner 5th gen??

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4StunnerSrq, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Jan 24, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Loud ass blow offs are annoying.

I think its 10x better to hear that S/C whine. And best part is no one can hear it all the time.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  2. Jan 24, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    NShade20

NShade20 New Member

Member:
    I had a 14 s4 6MT the sc is very addicting while my 05 sti tuned wakes the dead and yells “look at me “

3. Apr 7, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    J.Shoot

J.Shoot New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4R Night Shade
    none yet
    I called Magnuson this morning to inquire about their S/C system for the 2020 4Runner. The current system they have "will" fit, but they do not have a tune for the ecu on the 2020.
    Just thought I would pass the info along. We will probably do this when it becomes available. The person I talked to said they hoped to have it released by late summer.

In this application the blower makes the most sense. Speaking from experience, I've run roots style s/c, prochargers and turbos, they each have pros and cons and mostly depends on the application that it's going on.
    Of course that's just my "opinion".... lol....

4. Dec 4, 2023 at 5:58 PM
    pj_stickman

pj_stickman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Nightshade 4Runner
    magnuson supercharger
    Very late to this thread, but what the hell. I have had the Magnuson Supercharger for nearly 65k on my ‘19 4Runner. Best money I have spent. But … it is not a rocket. It just feels right. It is still a 4Runner but I no longer worry about hills, passing or towing. MPG: the response stating the science of ratios of air/gas is 100% spot on. This means you suck more gas in the city and save gas on the highway (why if ratios are the key? There is no anxiety getting up to highway speed so you don’t have to open it up all the way to merge and then back off sooner). On average I am about the same as my buddy with a standard ‘20. Most important point, for all the talk of tuning and/or warranty: there are still a ton of Toyota dealers who are also Magnuson dealers. I bought mine through the dealer and had them install it. All covered under the Magnuson and Toyota warranties and it gets tuned and checked with each service. Only issue I have had is one belt was offkilter and wore poorly. It was replaced and the angles were realigned during dealership service. Bang. Done. Do it.

5. Dec 4, 2023 at 6:11 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

6. Dec 4, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    In my truck, the blowoff valve is in the driver's seat! :D

7. Dec 4, 2023 at 7:29 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    Must be a regional option.;)

8. Dec 5, 2023 at 10:48 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    I too went the Magnuson rout with my 2023 (5,500 miles on the 4Runner so far). I also have the Banks pedal Monster installed to adjust the throttle sensitivity. I couldn't be happier. It still drives sedate enough that a granny would feel comfortable but lay into the throttle and it rolls in the boost ever so smoothly, all the while exponentially increasing the boost you get. It begins to roll in about 2,200 so no gnarly burn outs from a stop, but holy hell, once the RPM's climb higher it's a night and day difference over stock. Also mostly gone are the annoying downshifts going up hill that scrub speed before catching back up.

When it's on the highway and I want to pass quickly, the supercharged 4Runner makes it happen fast. Three quarter throttle followed by a downshift followed by merging back in front of the vehicle I was passing. High horsepower race fast? Nope, but it sure is easy to live with and puts much more horsepower/torque right where you need it most. @80-82 I get about 14.5 and on country roads going 62 I get closer to 17 and I'm okay with that.

This happened a couple days ago: I was glad my adult son was with me on a drive last Sunday. It was just us and a new f-150 V8 with what was obviously an aftermarket exhaust. We both stopped at a red light with no other vehicles in sight when out of the corner of my eye I could see him edging up and loading the brakes. I grinned cause I felt like I was 18 again, lol. As soon as the light turned green we both nailed it. While it takes some RPM before the Magnuson really starts to kick in, he never got in front of me and his distance from me in the rear view mirror only widened. I slowed down a block later to make a turn and he slowed down even more. I think he was embarrassed that a lowly 4Runner cleaned house! I'm guessing he didn't tell anyone about it but I did :)

2A.jpg IMG_1569 Large.jpg

qcTRDct, 2Toys, Bluninja and 6 others like this.
  9. Dec 5, 2023 at 4:29 PM
    jasonmcelroy

jasonmcelroy Recovering perfectionist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Grey Trail
    Bilsteins, KO2, sound system, RedArc towing
    I want one SO badly.

Price too much.

I'm in at $4K if that ever happens. I can install and tune myself.

Jason

10. Dec 5, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    engineer90

engineer90 New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road Premium, 2016 2-door GTI S manual
    Do you have the sweet supercharger whine?

11. Dec 5, 2023 at 4:42 PM
    Technologic80

Technologic80 Sexy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SE Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Off Road Premium
    Black TRD Wheels, and a bunch of AVS Plastic shit
    engineer90 likes this.
  12. Dec 5, 2023 at 8:20 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    It's def a luxury item price. The out the door price from Magnuson with tax and shipping to Michigan was 8k. I did the install myself but it's got sticker shock for sure. I don't regret it.

@engineer90 It does have the supercharger whine. It starts at 2,200 RPM and gets more pronounced the higher you go. Puts a smile on my face every day :)

Technologic80 and 2Toys like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top